Min-Nan Romanizations

Since all of us here would understand that Michelle Yeoh’s surname is of the Min-Nan (a dialect mainly representing the Fujian and Xiamen areas) spelling convention (in Mandarin her real name, Yeoh Choo Kheng, is translated as: yang2 zi3 qiong2), I would like to know how difficult it is to see certain Chinese place names rendered in Min-Nan vs. Cantonese. Cantonese is one way to spell out names, but Fujian Min-Nan is the other.

What would the Y a n g t z e K i a n g (yang2 zi3 jiang1), also “Changjiang” (chang2 jiang1), be rendered as in Fujian Minnan? I know “yang2” becomes “yeoh,” but would “zi3” in this occasion become “chee” and “jiang1” become “kang.” You know, “Yeoh Chee Kang”?

~Ben

I think it would most likely referred to as
Tiông-kang 長江
in the Church romanization
zh-min-nan.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ti%C3%B4ng-kang

Geographical names are always tricky, as you never quite know whether the 讀音 or the 白話音 should be used. iong-chi-kang is my best guess for 揚子江, or iong-chu-kang

[quote=“Changjiang750”]Since all of us here would understand that Michelle Yeoh’s surname is of the Min-Nan (a dialect mainly representing the Fujian and Xiamen areas) spelling convention (in Mandarin her real name, Yeoh Choo Kheng, is translated as: yang2 zi3 qiong2), I would like to know how difficult it is to see certain Chinese place names rendered in Min-Nan vs. Cantonese. Cantonese is one way to spell out names, but Fujian Min-Nan is the other.

What would the Y a n g t z e K i a n g (yang2 zi3 jiang1), also “Changjiang” (chang2 jiang1), be rendered as in Fujian Minnan? I know “yang2” becomes “yeoh,” but would “zi3” in this occasion become “chee” and “jiang1” become “kang.” You know, “Yeoh Chee Kang”?[/quote]
Despite varying ways that Hokkien names are romanized in Southeast Asia, the most common standardized way of romanizing Minnan is known as Peh-oe-ji (POJ), also known as Church Romanization. Michelle Yeo’s name would be (I believe) Iu
n
Chu Kheng. (The little n should be a superscript. And there are 2 pronunciations for 楊, 6 for 子 and 3 for 瓊!)