Mindless Left

I thought that was a retro shot of Glen Frey

[/list]

If you give that pic more than a casual glance…it that Glen’s dick out for all to see, or is it part of the playboy?

edit: man I try and stay away from the IP forum, but I keep getting dragged in. How long until this is floundered as OT.

Maybe Playboy has a popup edition.

For the liberals, all of whom by the way suck?

[quote=“truant”]If you give that pic more than a casual glance…it that Glen’s dick out for all to see, or is it part of the playboy?

edit: man I try and stay away from the IP forum, but I keep getting dragged in. How long until this is floundered as OT.[/quote]

Geez, and they put that on the Discovery Channel :smiling_imp:

so you’re saying that having a liberal girlfriend/spouse is a GOOD thing then?

Liberals of any stripe are like (well the Germans and Japanese) better off at your knees than your throat. Surely?

Hi,

I’d be interested in your opinions of this situation. I needed to post the entire NY Times article below as the link wouldn’t operate for anyone not registered with them. Hopefully, anyone who replies will not quote the whole article.

In short, Mr. Churchill is a professor at a university in Colorado in the U.S. He is at risk of being fired or worse for statements that he made in an essay.

My main question concerns the legitimacy of this logic, expressed by an opponent of his in the article who wants to eliminate funding for the whole department of the university where the professor works: “Professor Churchill has a right to free speech but that taxpayers do not have to subsidize his views.”

Does freedom of speech really exist in an environment where people risk and often experience retaliation for expressing their views, not just from fellow citizens but from government representatives as well?

Before this discussion starts, this is my appeal to you to discuss the substance of this issue and avoid the typical liberal and conservative bashing comments.

Thanks,

Seeker4

================

Professor Is Assailed by Legislature and Vandals
By MICHELLE YORK

Published: February 3, 2005
[[New York Times online]]

Colorado lawmakers yesterday denounced an embattled professor whose scheduled appearance at an upstate New York college was canceled amid protests over his writings on the Sept. 11 attacks, in which he compared the victims to Nazis.

The professor, Ward Churchill, meanwhile, rebuffed calls to resign and said yesterday that his truck had been painted with swastikas overnight as it sat in his driveway. The Boulder County Sheriff’s Department said it was investigating.

Calling his written remarks an “evil and inflammatory blow to the healing process,” the Colorado House of Representatives unanimously approved a resolution condemning Professor Churchill. “The victims of the World Trade Center were innocent in every sense of the word and should always be remembered as innocent,” the resolution states.

The uproar concerns a three-year-old essay by Professor Churchill, who teaches ethnic studies at the University of Colorado at Boulder. In it, he called the workers killed in the World Trade Center on Sept. 11 “little Eichmanns,” technocrats who had a role in their country’s economic power and its foreign policy, which included the 1991 gulf war.

The Colorado governor, Bill Owens, has called for the university to fire Professor Churchill, but yesterday, Michael Carrigan, a newly elected member of the University of Colorado Board of Regents, said it was unlikely that any action would be taken when the board holds an emergency meeting today. “He can be fired, but not tomorrow,” Mr. Carrigan said yesterday.

Professor Churchill said in an interview yesterday that he would sue if fired. “I am on firm legal ground,” he said, adding that several lawyers who specialize in free speech have already contacted him. He said he had received more than 100 death threats.

The essay surfaced only after Professor Churchill accepted an invitation to speak at Hamilton College, near Utica, N.Y., about his area of expertise, American Indian activism.

After the essay was brought to light, Hamilton College said it had to honor its invitation in the interests of free speech, though the college president, Joan Hinde Stewart, said she found the remarks personally repugnant.

The college received thousands of e-mail messages and telephone calls protesting the planned panel discussion. On Tuesday, it abruptly canceled the discussion, which had been scheduled for tonight, after a caller threatened to bring a gun to the event and the local police said they could not guarantee Professor Churchill’s safety.

At the University of Colorado, Professor Churchill resigned as chairman of the ethnic studies department on Monday but remains a teacher. Some students have protested his remarks, though he said more support him.

In his essay, Professor Churchill wrote of what he saw as the tie between the trade center victims and the deaths of Iraqis in the 1991 war, and after. “They were too busy braying, incessantly and self-importantly, into their cellphones, arranging power lunches and stock transactions, each of which translated, conveniently out of sight, mind and smelling distance, into the starved and rotting flesh of infants,” he wrote.

“If there was a better, more effective, or in fact any other way of visiting some penalty befitting their participation upon the little Eichmanns inhabiting the sterile sanctuary of the twin towers, I’d really be interested in hearing about it,” he added.

Some Colorado lawmakers called on the Legislature yesterday to cut financing for the ethnic studies department at the university, saying that Professor Churchill has a right to free speech but that taxpayers do not have to subsidize his views.

The conservative news commentator Bill O’Reilly, who repeatedly urged viewers to send e-mail protests to Hamilton College, was running a poll on his Web site yesterday asking viewers if Professor Churchill should be fired. On his program last night, Mr. O’Reilly called the vandalism and death threats an “unfortunate plight.”

At Hamilton, students scheduled a meeting called “Academic Freedom” for next Wednesday to discuss all the issues that swirled around campus, said a spokeswoman, Vige Barrie.

Mindy Sink contributed reporting from Denver for this article.

=========================

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … ht=#296860

A day late brother! :smiling_imp:

If you inspect it really closely, you’ll see that it’s been photoshopped.

If you inspect it really closely, you’ll see that it’s been photoshopped.[/quote]
The thought of inspecting it really closely didn’t appeal to me.

Prof. Churchill was until very recently the chair of the Ethnic Studies Department at the university in question. Apparently, he resigned from the chair, but remains on the faculty.

Incidentally, Prof. Churchill is apparently a Native American activist.

Things are not always what they seem, but from the information you posted, in my opinion he would have a good-looking case against the university/legislature, as the case might be, if they were to fire him (even if the legislature were to fire him indirectly by eliminating his department).

no he just claims to be native american:

aimovement.org/moipr/churchill05.html

indiancountry.com/content.cfm?id=1096410295

what better way to get your voice heard than to claim to speak on behalf of an oppressed minority? helps you get jobs because of affirmative action, as well.

[quote] The Oneida Indian Nation, which has historic ties to nearby Hamilton, issued the following statement:

''It’s disturbing that anyone would use such hateful speech, and do so while claiming to be an American Indian when there is significant evidence that he is not. Professor Churchill caused many in the media to falsely believe an American Indian scholar could besmirch the lives of those who died on 9/11. Because of this, he owes every American Indian an apology.

‘‘Likewise it is sad that he would perpetrate this apparent hoax on Hamilton College, an institution founded to help educate Indian students.’’ (Hamilton was founded by Samuel Kirkland, 18th century missionary to the Oneidas, and the famous Oneida Chief Schenandoah is buried on its grounds. The Oneida Nation owns Four Directions Media, publisher of Indian Country Today.) [/quote]

The second link you posted is really good:

[quote]. . . Churchill has described himself as Cherokee, Keetoowah Cherokee, Muskogee, Creek and most recently Meti. . . . In biographical blurbs, he is identified as an enrolled member of the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokees. . . . [But] George Mauldin, tribal clerk in Tahlequah, Okla., told the Rocky Mountain News, ‘‘He’s not in the data base at all.’’

According to Jodi Rave, a well-known Native journalist . . . Churchill was enrolled as an ‘‘associate member’’ of the Keetoowah by a former chairman who was later impeached. The one other known member . . . was President Bill Clinton. Rave said that she made this discovery as a student in a journalism class at the University of Colorado. She was also in a class taught by Churchill. When her article came out, she said, he dropped her grade from an A to a C minus.[/quote]

Well, so much for the Native American activist claim, I guess. :laughing: Thanks for the info, Flipper!

what is noam chomsky smoking these days?

worldpress.org/Mideast/2022.cfm

i believe his two main points are:

1.) the us should not encourage democracy in iraq because the shiites will come to power and do bad things. it is not in us self interest to encourage a democracy in iraq that we’re just going to overthrow later.

uh, thanks for the advice, noam. it’s good that you’re watching out for the evil imperialists. we’ll take your advice under consideration.

2.) vietnam proved that an army composed of citizens don’t work. we need ruthless mercenaries.

pardon?

has chomsky run out of liberal rhetoric? he’s becoming positively nonsensical now.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Put on your tin-foil hats!!!

[quote]
Rael to bestow Honorary Priest title to Ward Churchill

Miami, Feb 10, 2005. Rael, leader of the International Raelian Movement (www.rael.org) has just given the “Honorary Priest” title to Ward Churchill (University of Colorado professor) for his essay which most of the US is decrying as insensitive or unpatriotic.[/quote]

raelianews.org/news.php?extend.20

Stalin,
I think Rael was the Fourth Bee-Gee.
Flipper, you seem to not acknowledge Chomsky’s ironic voice. Of course he isn’t arguing for hiring mercenaries.

Their website states:

rael.org/english/index.html

I wonder if Prof. Churchill will accept? But more importantly, I wonder what the benefits of Raelian priesthood are? :laughing:

[quote=“sbmoor262004”]Stalin,
I think Rael was the Fourth Bee-Gee.
[/quote]

No, that was me. Stayin’ Alive was supposed to be a barbershop number. We had creative differences.