Minimum Age for Public School Enrollment (First Grade) in Yilan?

I called two public schools in Yilan to inquire about enrollment for my daughter next year in first grade. She turns 6 this November, so she will be 6 years old at the time of enrollment and at the start of school next year. Both Yilan elementary schools told me that she must be 7 years old at the start of school to enroll in first grade. I had thought that she would be able to enroll at 6 years of age. In Taipei, the elementary schools I talked to will allow her to enroll in first grade at 6 years old. Of course, we prefer to enroll her in first grade, as kindergarten can be very difficult to get into at most public schools.

Is it true that a child must be 7 years old to start first grade in Yilan?
Does the minimum age for first grade enrollment in public schools vary by location? If so, is there any resource for knowing what is the minimum age for enrolling a child in first grade based on location in Taiwan?

Thank you!

I really don’t know how Yilan does things, but 6 going on 7 should be right for the first grade as far as I know. Is it possible they thought you were trying to enroll her this school year?

1 Like

she is 5 now, 6 in November.
cutoff point likely October, maybe even September.
november born children almost always the ‘oldest’ in class.
ask school if there is any special dispensation.

edit: ahhhh. this is for 2019. yes, should be allowed. was the school confused and thought maybe you meant this year?

I told them that this was for next school year and that we were planning on moving to Taiwan next summer, so I don’t know why they would think I meant this school year. They clearly stated to me that she must be 7 years old to start first grade. I was surprised and told them that I thought she would be able to start first grade at 6 years of age, but they said it is typical for children to enroll in first grade at 7 years old. That seems awfully old for starting first grade though.

Don’t worry. The age is 6. Cut off date is September 1st. Kids who are 6 years old on Sep. 1 become 1st grade students.

This is from Taipei city government, but it is same for any cities in Taiwan.

1. 小朋友幾歲的時候可以進入小學就讀?

答:小朋友在當年度9月1日(含9月1日當天)滿6足歲,即屬於當年度9月應入小學就讀之學童。