Minimum monthly pay for sponsoring a teaching ARC? Also, combining hours from two locations?

I have a job offer, which I’ve accepted, but they can’t quite give me enough teaching hours. Now, I know that there’s a minimum number of hours I have to work in order to get an ARC. I very much want to do everything legally, so I was planning to ask them to reduce my hourly rate and have them pay me for lesson planning and grading. With teaching, lesson planning, and grading, I would reach 14 hours a week and the total weekly pay would be the same.

I haven’t proposed this to them yet, as now I have two major concerns:

1. Can I make my 14 hours a week spread across two locations (I would ask for work permits for both locations)? It’s the same company, but they have two branches.

2. Is there a monthly minimum they have to pay me? I had never heard of this before, just the fourteen hours per week requirement, but came across some threads mentioning that the sponsor of an ARC has to pay X amount of NTD per month.

I really want to work legally, but I’m having a really hard time figuring out exactly what I need to do in order to be legal. If there’s no way to make this work legally, I will pull out of this job.

It’s bad enough with rates and paid hours being constantly screwed down by bushiban bosses, whilst they crank up the ‘illegal contractual’ expectations of unpaid work due to the constant flow of newbies bending over - without people like you making it easier for them. :fume:
All in order to be ‘legal’ :roflmao: :loco: FFS!
Run home to Mummy.

You may have more than one employer listed on your ARC, but you the sponsoring school needs to be able to provide at least 14 hours. I believe the minimum salary for a buxi job is 35,000. It may be 30,000–I can’t remember exactly now.

I can’t really say with anything like absolute certainty–in other words, I can’t guarantee anything–but the figure I’ve seen several times is NT$47,971.

This is from a FAQ on a government website:

[quote]According to paragraph 8 [they mean Article 8–CJ] of “Qualifications and Reviewing Criteria for Foreigners Employed to Work under Section 1 to Section 6, Sub-Paragraph 1, Article 46 of Employment Service Act”, foreign workers who are employed in specialized and technical positions are not allowed to be paid below average salaries as published in the latest the monthly issue of Average Pays & Salaries for Industry and Service Business Professionals. The salary standard is the monthly average for domestic professionals (which amounts to [color=#000080]47,971 dollars[/color] currently), In other words, if employers hire foreign workers, their salaries should be paid according to the above standard.[/quote] investtaiwan.nat.gov.tw/faq/faqD … ng&GUID=69

This is part of a regulation effective July 4, 2005; it also provides for a lower minimum for–I think–foreign researchers (or research assistants?) employed by the National Science Council:

[quote]公告事項:外國人受聘僱從事專門性及技術性工作之每人月平均薪資之最低數額,其每人月平均薪資不得低於新臺幣[color=#000080]47,971元[/color]整。[/quote] laws.cla.gov.tw/chi/NewsContent.asp?msgid=598

This is part of a notice that, I guess, amends the above regulation, effective June 14, 2012, to add the provision of a lower minimum for–I think–foreigners employed as research assistants by universities, foreign graduate students, and Chinese and overseas Chinese students:

[quote]一、外國人受聘僱從事專門性及技術性工作之每人月平均薪資不得低於新臺幣[color=#000080]四萬七千九百七十一元[/color]整。[/quote] evta.gov.tw/content/content. … unc_id=124

But again, I’m not absolutely certain about the minimum salary.

Thanks for that information, Charlie Jack. I got my numbers from the “second contract” that was “just for the government” that a friend of mine was asked to sign at a school where she worked. I saw the original, pre-signed by the boss, that listed her pay as either 30 or 35 thousand, so I took that to be the mimimum salary allowed. Your information is more official than mine and likely more trust worthy. Her bosses, obviously, were not.

Be careful out there.

You’re welcome, and I hope my information is correct.

I’ve also heard the 30-35K/mo number. charlie’s number come from an official source but it doesn’t seem right. 14 hrs X 550NT/hr = about 31K/mo.

I would encourage the OP not to bother with any of his scheming. this will just encourage the school to screw him (the grading for example). Work the hours that you get paid for and let the school worry about the tax issue on their end. The labor board only cares about the 14 hr req’t if you bring a complaint against the school. You will probably be visited by an inspector once during the year and all you need to say is that you have 14 hours. they aren’t going to ask to see your schedule or do any investigating (unless you request it).

I have no idea why you are accepting a job that has <14 hrs. there are definitely better opportunities out there and i think you will regret it.

[quote=“Abacus”]I’ve also heard the 30-35K/mo number. charlie’s number come from an official source but it doesn’t seem right. 14 hrs X 550NT/hr = about 31K/mo.

I would encourage the OP not to bother with any of his scheming. this will just encourage the school to screw him (the grading for example). Work the hours that you get paid for and let the school worry about the tax issue on their end. The labor board only cares about the 14 hr req’t if you bring a complaint against the school. You will probably be visited by an inspector once during the year and all you need to say is that you have 14 hours. they aren’t going to ask to see your schedule or do any investigating (unless you request it).

I have no idea why you are accepting a job that has <14 hrs. there are definitely better opportunities out there and I think you will regret it.[/quote]

From one of the OP’s posts in another thread:

[quote]Degrees: BA and an MBA
Certifications: CELTA and a Preliminary Teaching License from Massachusetts in History (license to teach History at the high school and middle school-levels for five years)
Passport: USA passport-holder
Sex: Female
Race: Appear to be white
Language: Native speaker of English
[/quote] [forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 9#p1436819](Arriving in late July and looking for Taipei-area University/College jobs: Is this a viable plan?

From her posts, it appears that she’s been looking for a job for a month or more.

I think she wrote “Appear to be white” because her mother is of Taiwanese heritage.

greenrivergold, it’s disheartening to me that you’re having trouble finding a decent job here, especially given your MBA and CELTA. I hope that something good (or at least decent) eventually turns up.

It appears that she’s a certified teacher so imo she needs to get hooked up with housecat and GiT and find out about one of those gov’t jobs in the elem schools. There is absolutely no reason that she should be scratching by with a buxiban job that pays around 30,000NT/mo.

I’m not contradicting you at all, it’s just that I’m not sure what works here in terms of qualifications to teach at a regular school. I glanced at some info on the Massachusetts preliminary certification, and it looks good to me, but I don’t know how the system here will view it.

But she’s certainly well-qualified to work here.

Perhaps I don’t understand what preliminary teaching license means and she could clear that up.

Yeah, I don’t really understand it either (maybe I should have kept my peace), and I’ve rethunk my previous post. Maybe she, housecat, and/or GIT could work that part out.

I can’t really say with anything like absolute certainty–in other words, I can’t guarantee anything–but the figure I’ve seen several times is NT$47,971.

This is from a FAQ on a government website:

[quote]According to paragraph 8 [they mean Article 8–CJ] of “Qualifications and Reviewing Criteria for Foreigners Employed to Work under Section 1 to Section 6, Sub-Paragraph 1, Article 46 of Employment Service Act”, foreign workers who are employed in specialized and technical positions are not allowed to be paid below average salaries as published in the latest the monthly issue of Average Pays & Salaries for Industry and Service Business Professionals. The salary standard is the monthly average for domestic professionals (which amounts to [color=#000080]47,971 dollars[/color] currently), In other words, if employers hire foreign workers, their salaries should be paid according to the above standard.[/quote] investtaiwan.nat.gov.tw/faq/faqD … ng&GUID=69

This is part of a regulation effective July 4, 2005; it also provides for a lower minimum for–I think–foreign researchers (or research assistants?) employed by the National Science Council:

[quote]公告事項:外國人受聘僱從事專門性及技術性工作之每人月平均薪資之最低數額,其每人月平均薪資不得低於新臺幣[color=#000080]47,971元[/color]整。[/quote] laws.cla.gov.tw/chi/NewsContent.asp?msgid=598

This is part of a notice that, I guess, amends the above regulation, effective June 14, 2012, to add the provision of a lower minimum for–I think–foreigners employed as research assistants by universities, foreign graduate students, and Chinese and overseas Chinese students:

[quote]一、外國人受聘僱從事專門性及技術性工作之每人月平均薪資不得低於新臺幣[color=#000080]四萬七千九百七十一元[/color]整。[/quote] evta.gov.tw/content/content. … unc_id=124

But again, I’m not absolutely certain about the minimum salary.[/quote]

NT$ 47,791.00/month minimum salary is for general white collar job (i.e. engineers, office and technical work). Although teaching is a white collar job, I was under the impression that teachers in buxiban get paid by the hours.

I think you are right. I think I misread the law. Apparently the regulation I was quoting only applies to workers listed in Article 46.1.1 of the Employment Services Act. Foreign cram school teachers are mentioned in Article 46.1.4. I apologize for any misunderstanding I may have caused.

[quote]The wages for foreign employees who undertake the job assignments specified in [color=#000080]Article 4[/color] should not be lower than the amount recorded in the latest survey.[/quote]–Article 8, “Qualifications and Criteria Standards for foreigners undertaking the jobs specified under Article 46.1.1 to 46.1.6 of the Employment Service Act” laws.cla.gov.tw/Eng/FLAW/FLAWDOC … 8069&lno=8

[quote]“Specialized or technical work” mentioned in[color=#000080] Article 46.1.1[/color] of this Act refers to the following work that requires specialized knowledge, expertise, or techniques for which a foreigner is hired to perform:

1. Civil engineering or practice of architecture;
  2. Communications and transportation;
  3. Tax and financial services;
  4. Practice of real estate agency;
  5. Immigration services;
  6. Practice of attorneys, or of patent attorneys;
  7. Practice of technicians;
  8. Health care;
  9. Environmental protection;
  10. Culture, sports, and recreation services;
  11. Academic research;
  12. Practice of veterinarians;
  13. Manufacturing;
  14. Wholesales; or
  15. Other work designated as per the joint consultation of the central governing authority and the central competent authorities.[/quote]–[color=#000080]Article 4[/color], “Qualifications and Criteria Standards for foreigners undertaking the jobs specified under Article 46.1.1 to 46.1.6 of the Employment Service Act” laws.cla.gov.tw/Eng/FLAW/FLAWDOC … 8069&lno=4

[quote]Unless otherwise provided for in the Act, the work that a foreign worker may be employed to engage in within the Republic of China is limited to the following:
[color=#000080]1.[/color] [color=#000080]Specialized or technical work[/color];

[color=#000080]4.[/color] Full-time [color=#000080]teacher teaching course(s) on foreign language(s) at a short-term class[/color] registered for supplementary schooling in accordance with the Supplementary Education Act. . . .[/quote] [color=#000080]Article 46.1[/color], Employment Services Act laws.cla.gov.tw/Eng/FLAW/FLAWDOC … 128&lno=46

You need to be making NT$47,971 a month, or NT$37,619 if you graduated from a Taiwan university.

Yeah, I don’t really understand it either (maybe I should have kept my peace), and I’ve rethunk my previous post. Maybe she, housecat, and/or GIT could work that part out.[/quote]

Thank you for all the informative answers! :slight_smile:

A preliminary teaching license is a Massachusetts-specific thing.

doe.mass.edu/Educators/e_lic … ection=k12

It’s a legal teaching license, but it’s only good for five years. It’s designed as a way for people who didn’t do Education undergraduate degrees (like myself) to test for subject matter qualification and try teaching for a few years. In order to make the license permanent, I’d have to meet further qualifications, such as graduate classes and supervised teaching in a Massachusetts state school.

tl;dr version: It’s a short-term valid US teaching license that expires five years from issuance.

Yeah, I don’t really understand it either (maybe I should have kept my peace), and I’ve rethunk my previous post. Maybe she, housecat, and/or GIT could work that part out.[/quote]

It’s a legal teaching license, but it’s only good for five years. It’s designed as a way for people who didn’t do Education undergraduate degrees (like myself) to test for subject matter qualification and try teaching for a few years. In order to make the license permanent, I’d have to meet further qualifications, such as graduate classes and supervised teaching in a Massachusetts state school.

tl;dr version: It’s a short-term valid US teaching license that expires five years from issuance.[/quote]

Well, it seems to me that a teaching gig here at a regular school is something you could shoot for, and you also have credentials (MBA and CELTA) that I think should be able to help you get other kinds of jobs.

Now I’m really confused! :s

tl;dr version: It’s a short-term valid US teaching license that expires five years from issuance.[/quote]

Although each American state issues its own licenses to teach, the preliminary license exists in other states. Arkansas, for example, issues one that’s good for either one or three years, but you have to be enrolled in a teacher education program to qualify for one of these, usually. We even have special licenses that can be issued to people considered to be “experts” in a subject matter that a school feels is important to offer to its students, but can’t find a licensed teacher to teach. These used to be used often to hire teachers for languages such as Mandarin, in fact. But now there are programs that send ML Chinese teachers here.

And a fully credentialed standard Arkansas teaching license expires every five yeras. We have to pay for a new license and prove X hours of professional development every five years, to remain licensed.

Anyway, the problem the OP MAY be having with her state’s preliminary license is that each state DOES have an online database that administrators use to verify a teacher’s credentials before hiring him/her. If this preliminary license isn’t listed online, or if it indicates online that this license isn’t fully equal to a regular license, the Taiwanese here will suspect that it isn’t genuine. I’ve known lots of fully licensed teachers from the States who had trouble sometimes getting Taiwan to recognize their credentials because they didn’t look the same as some previously seen by the Taiwanese person in question. It’s really a wonky system here. I’m in Texas for now, for example, and Texas won’t recognize my Arkansas license. Here in Texas, they have their own way of doing things and there’s no reciprocity of teaching licenses between these two states.

If I were the OP, I’d personally walk the fact checker through the process of checking out my license. Each state can be different, and I did that for some myself, actually, with my own license.

And I’d read through and take GiT’s advice about going to local administration offices and looking for jobs directly. Usually, they’ll tell you that they can’t hire you because they’ve got a contract with a recruiter to provide teachers, but working with recruiters sucks for both you and for the school. You may have better luck going it alone and knocking on the right doors yourself.

And then you can spend some time looking through the boards here and weigh the merits of teaching in a “real” school vs. a Buxiban. Sometimes it’s worth it, and sometimes it’s not.

Unless maybe you’re in Kaohsiung, there surely has to be something better on offer than stitching together 14 hours for the lowest possible pay.
I’ll try to answer any specific questions you have via pm, If you like. I wish you the best.