Minimum Salary for Foreigners working in Taiwan?

I have been a foreigner in Thailand for quite some time, and will be heading for Taichung soon.

Does Taiwan have similar policies with Thailand when a Foreigner, if he wants to work in Taiwan, the job that is being offered must be of a certain minimum salary before the Government issues him a work permit ?

Yes.

At least twice as much as the minumum salary for Taiwanese, by law, otherwise, you cannot have a legal work permit.

Oh yeah? I didn’t know that.

The minimum wage for locals is now what, about NT$80 - NT$100/hour, right?

Nope, they take the monthly salary into account, which means your own salary should be in teh ballpark of 45 thousand up at least.

Your employer has to pay you a minimum of NT$48,000/month before the government will issue a work permit.

Are we talking about teachers’ work permits?

There are part-time and full-time work permits. If I’m not mistaken, a full-time work permit is based on a minimum of 15 hours/week. I’ve never read where the work permit was based on salary, not hours.

So how do all the Thai, Philipino and Indonesian foreign laborers do it then? :ponder:

So how do all the Thai, Philipino and Indonesian foreign laborers do it then? :ponder:[/quote]

They have different rules. Not surprising, surely?

So how do all the Thai, Filipino and Indonesian foreign laborers do it then? :ponder:[/quote]

Blue collar rules different from white collar ones. Yep, as Buttercup says, “surprising”.

By the way, we’ve been here before- same topic:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=72785

Regarding blue collar -factory, caregivers:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=51847&start=0

Oh, and another set of rules for teachers, remember you guys get more medical exams?

Yeah, I assumed there must be. I wasn’t stirring the pot; I’m legitimately curious because it’s something I know very little about.

Right. Different rules for caregivers and English teachers. Don’t know what they are though – bloke never mentioned teaching in his post.

The previous threads on minimum salary were too short.

Can anyone point to any government URLs ?

I’m not into teaching. But I’m not sure if a piano technician’s job is blue or white. More likely blue, I suppose. In one of the posts, it was reported that the government was going to scrap the minimum salary requirement for foreigners. Has that been implemented ?

BTW, does the employer have to prove that he could not find a local to fill the job before he could hire a foreigner ?

I have just checked the www.jusregal.com, apparently there is no minimum salary requirement for an alien in order for a work permit to be issued.

Can someone confirm this is indeed the situation now ?

As is the case in Thailand, there are categories for minimum salary. In Thailand it goes by national/regional origin, in Taiwan it is by work type. For teachers and white-collar workers it is twice the minimum wage, whatever that is. NT$48k sounds about right.

The minimum wage for locals in mid-2007 was NT$17,280.

When applying for an APRC, you need to prove that your salary was at least twice that for the two years prior to applying.

I don’t know about white-collar workers, but I’ve never seen anything about minimum wage for foreign teachers. They specify minimum hours for full-time work permits, but not pay.

[quote=“mezziahmac”]I have just checked the jusregal.com, apparently there is no minimum salary requirement for an alien in order for a work permit to be issued.

Can someone confirm this is indeed the situation now ?[/quote]
Funny. I just checked that site too and it confirms what I said – BA plus two years relevant experience. Min. salary of NT$47,971.
And what company is going to employ you as a piano tuner? :laughing:

[quote=“sandman”]
Funny. I just checked that site too and it confirms what I said – BA plus two years relevant experience. Min. salary of NT$47,971.
And what company is going to employ you as a piano tuner? :laughing:[/quote]

NT47,971 is for special technicians, not managerial appointment. There is no minimum salary requirement for managerial appointment.

Yes, if you come under the special technicians category it’s Bachelor’s degree plus 2 years’ experience. But it also says with a Master’s degree, experience is not required.

The minimum capital for starting a Limited Company has also been reduced to just NT50,000.

That’s the minimum requirement for a foreign white collar worker here that requires a work permit from the government.
Give us an idea of the kind of managerial appointment you’re seeking and it’ll be easier to guesstimate what you will be looking for.
If you’re planning to come on an expat package then the minimum salary requirement is not really relevant, as they’ll be paying you FAR more than that in any case.
If on the other hand you’re planning to come here and get a job from a local employer, then sorry, but the minimum for a work permit is what is stated on that website, whether your job is classed as a “special technician” or not. I, for example, am a media hack, not a special technician, and the minimum salary they can pay me is the one stated.