Missing Person, David Allan Broderick, “Dave”, Canadian

That is not true of all men, maybe some men.

Definitely try the saltlick always have great food there.

Ha, saltlick sounds like something for an animal

Isn’t that something hunters use to attract deer?

Natural salt licks were used by Buffalo and Native Americans. Modern salt licks are used for cattle I’m not sure about the deer that’s an interesting question.

I’m pretty sure I’ve heard of it for deer.

1 Like

23 posts were split to a new topic: From missing

Is an international drivers license valid in Taiwan?
I assume so but before I get one I want to make sure there are not certain stipulations over there.
Thanks ahead of time

Think this was meant:

http://www.lickbbq.com/blog/

International DRIVER’S license. You know…like for a car… Not diver’s license. LOL

3 Likes

Bring lots of sun screen, might be cheaper in Europe. A wide brimmed hat if you have one. Shorts and t shirts make you look like a tourist but a light fabric that easily draws sweat away is a must. If you have any rain/waterproof gear, bring it. Do not buy it, but if you have it, it might be handy.

When in Taiwan, one must carry an umbrella and a water bottle at all times.

He’s coming from Canada.

Say what? So Taiwanese don’t wear shorts and t-shirts? :ponder:

Why?
An umbrella, some flip flops and shorts are all you need for the rain here. You can pick up an umbrella at any 7-11 for cheap.

Huh? At all times?

This is some odd advice.

OP, don’t sweat it. You will be fine here. Your international drivers license is also fine.

2 Likes

Sorry, mixed up thought he came from UK. Still cheaper.

I mean shorts and flip flops tourist look, not cargo shorts comfy. Just to be cool in this heat.

Same with water and umbrella: stay hydrated, be ready for constant rain/surprise rain/etc rain. Advice we give all newcomers.

Thanks for the advice, once I get the plane tickets I will be more active on here for advice about everything.
My main mission is to get any info about my brother but will also need some downtime, and since I will more than likely never return to Taiwan can you tell me something that you would recommend I see before leaving? Without having me go too far off my route, Taipei, Hualien, Taitung and Green Island .
Like if you came to Canada you should see Niagara Falls kinda thing.

1 Like

#1: Go see your niece.
Everything else doesn’t matter in comparison.

1 Like

That’s an obvious, I meant above and beyond that.

1 Like

For Taiwan I would say must sees are Taroko Gorge and honestly the whole ride down the east coast from Suao to Hualian to kenting is very nice. I personally really like the Kenting area. Sun Moon Lake is worth an afternoon if you end up there. It’s right smack in the middle of taiwan.

In nOrth Taiwan, The drive from ilan up the coast to keelung is scenic in summer and onwards from keelung to chinshan and tamshui is nice too. Basically its pretty nice on the coast, north and south and east. The west not so much.

If you have people to show you around, lots of little hot springs in Yang Ming Shan that is cheap and fun. Relaxing. And eat some 3 cup chicken, etc.

These are all relative to Taipei or just outside Taipei and I’m sure someone will think I’m too cliche, but…

See the changing of the guard at the National Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall.

See the dynasty collections at the National Palace Museum.

Make a day-trip to Jiufen. Great mountain town full of markets, teahouses, alleys, temples, quintessential Taiwan.

Check out Taipei 101, of course. You don’t need to go to the top. Plenty of shopping in the basement and outside and it is a magnificent skyscraper imo.

Good luck, @Davesbrother. I’m glad you’re taking some time to appreciate the culture and sights.

Sun screen is one of the things that I always make sure I buy when I’m visiting the States. For some reason, it’s stupidly expensive in Taiwan. Pain killers (Ibuprofen) is another one of those things.

As for rain gear, coming in late summer, rain shouldn’t be too much of an issue… And there are convenience stores on almost every block in Taiwan where you can get a poncho or an umbrella for $2-3 USD.

1 Like