Missing Person, David Allan Broderick, “Dave”, Canadian

Yep the CCTV footage and story needs to be looked into.
Possibly Dave, possibly not.
The scooter was damaged badly but was it simply that he drove at speed into the wall himself ? It doesn’t look like it was crushed by any truck anyway.

Seems he may have not have been in a good frame of mind scootering to the cliff area. My understanding was the wife was in Taidong home and he just took off on the scooter, but not necessarily heading back to Taipei ?

From the helicopter search and this line from her letter, the wife clearly suspects suicide:

The Dave that I know, he isn’t likely to give up on his own life

The scooter was damaged badly but was it simply that he drove at speed into the wall himself ?

Yes maybe he hit the wall as he was driving to the cliff edge. Then he stopped and took off his helmet.

My understanding was the wife was in Taidong home and he just took off on the scooter,

Her messages to his father state that he’d been living alone (in Taidung) since he returned from Canada in “late October”.

yes, this clearly shows she thought he committed suicide. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

In any case, I don’t think we should take anything the wife says at face value.

1 Like

Wait… Wasn’t the wife in Taidong? I thought that they argued face-to-face in Taidong.

in wife’s letter to Dave’s dad:
The scooter condition looked as if Dave has been trying hard to fix it, it broke down.

Anybody who has ever driven a scooter and seen that front end from the pic knows it is not fixable.
It is nearly destroyed.
I’m speculating she rode a acooter herself.

I suspect a mis-translation - “Broken down” = broken/damaged.

Yes. There isn’t any amount of roadside fixing that would have gotten that scooter running again.

hence why her statement doesn’t match with what the picture shows. how could she honestly believe Dave was trying to fix it? :thinking:

She may have just been repeating information from the news reports, or the keystone kops.

Some people just aren’t in tune with the mechanical aspect of things, even if they can get from point A to point B on a scooter.

FWIW, to me, “premeditated foul play” and “damaged scooter in the middle of nowhere” don’t obviously fit together

Saying “Dave probably didn’t commit suicide” implies she was considering the possibly of suicide.

Also note her message to Dave’s Dad, she asked “We had an argument…when was the last time he call you? What did he say? Was he sad?”

I wonder if she threatened divorce or to take away his daughter, it pushed him over the edge, he threatened suicide and then disappeared. Now she feels guilty and responsible.

true. but they were still married at that time. you’d think she see for herself what scooter was like, retrieve personal family belongings if any, view CCTV footage herself to try and confirm if Dave is in it or not

1 Like

The CCTV story now makes no sense

Surveillance showed moped in parking lot, 2 cars stopped with 2 men in each car getting out (4 total), 5 guys going into the 2 cars.

What parking lot?

Why was the key in the front holder?

1 Like

See, isn’t this like a reality show version of the board game Clue?

Because he intentionally drove to the cliff edge and accidentally hit the stone wall?

I feel he was in some kind of accident the key would still be in the ignition

I think the most likely explanation of the keys being in the holder is that the scooter wreckage was found in or alongside the road. Whoever found it wheeled it over to the wall and propped it up, removed the keys from the ignition and put them in the holder. But that’s entirely speculation. That’s why the first thing I would do is to try to contact the precinct where the scooter was found to see who reported it.

1 Like

The bike is 200m from the main road on a dead-end at a view-point for the cliffs. If the accident was on the main road I doubt a passer-by would wheel it so far.

From the news report like the wheel is pressed against the body, so wheeling may have been difficult. It looks like the accident happened at that point or the bike and the wrecked parts were transported there.

If the accident happened there and the keys were left in the ignition, maybe a concerned passer-by moved them to the box so it wasn’t an obvious theft target.

1 Like