Missing Person, David Allan Broderick, “Dave”, Canadian

Possible have video and go back and review them. How else would they know they saw him and not some other foreigner.

1 Like

I don’t think I would have ever noticed that.

If you start one, please create a separate thread so everyone can see it, will donate for sure.

1 Like

Unless he intentionally rammed the scoot into the wall or it could have been accidental.

Accidents happen mostly when you are unaware it is going to happen

Just a couple things about that spot…I’ve been a number of times. It’s very far from the main road. I don’t really see a scenario where one would have any accident there and the bike being moved to this location without it being loaded into another vehicle.

They’ve fairly recently redone this area, I’d say definitely after the time frame for the accident (it’s clear there was a collision). The parking lot next to the road was added and it was made difficult or impossible for cars to get to where the scooter was left. However, before that, you could get a car all the way back there…you weren’t supposed to but you could. There may have been a small guard shack and gate, I can’t remember, but I would always imagine this would be a place young people might come at night, in cars, scooters, whatever.

It would be easy to drive a scooter back to that point back then or today. Carry it damaged from the main road, no chance. Loaded into to blue truck and dumped there to get it well out of sight from the main road, sure.

Just trying to help with what’s possible.

That’s kind of the way I remember it. Both before and after they added a larger parking lot in the front.

Again, I don’t think anyone is suggesting that the accident happened back on the main road. The accident likely occurred at or very close to the position of the scooter in the video.

It seems very strange to me that a foreigner had a fairly severe scooter accident at popular scenic pulloff in the middle of a beautiful, sunny afternoon… and no one saw it?? For some reason, I had imagined him making the drive in the middle of the night which gives some credence to him running into a wall or stone, wrecking his scooter and then possibly falling or getting lost on his way to the main road. This seems far less likely in the middle of the day.

1 Like

Capture

I wanted to mention this to see if anyone else noticed it. To me, it looks like the rocks directly in front of the scooter are scraped up. I can’t help but go back to the idea that he just drove straight at the wall and went over. The bike remained there and as for the helmet, he possibly took it off while sitting for a bit before this happened.

Maybe I am wrong about the rocks, but this really seems like the most logical explanation.

1 Like

It’s quite possible he rammed the wall, but I don’t think it’s really feasible that he would have went flying into the ocean after that. That’s not really how a body reacts after running into something. The body would have to elevate itself over the wall… Also, if you look at the aerial drone shots, I don’t think that you would end up in the ocean after going over the wall. And probably most importantly, how would the driver end up going over the wall but part of his helmet end up on the ground next to the scooter?

I’m not sure that it necessarily something that could be assumed. When I had my dirt bike front fork accident (hit a tree stump), I could drive it home quite a distance. Very slowly, of course. In this case, after an accident on the main road, the scooter was pushed or driven back, and maybe the plastic pieces were picked up then placed where the scooter was eventually parked.

Edit: That mountain road has a huge gap right next to the shoulder on both sides. A possibility: drive off the road at a high speed. The wheel hits somewhere in that space to result in the front fork damage that you see. Just a possibility. I know someone who drove to Hualien on his scooter. He told me that huge gap had him scared the whole way on the mountain road, especially with cars forcing him closer and closer to it.

I have trouble believing that scooter, with its front wheel rubbing against the scooter body beneath the footrest, could be ridden even a modest distance. I guess I could be wrong…but it just doesn’t seem likely that bike has moved very much after it sustained that kind of damage.

2 Likes

Could a person do that damage themselves in a fit of rage?

Maybe, if he kept driving into that stone wall over and over until scooter turned into what we see on news items.
Then maybe he got into car with guys and left.
BUT WHERE IS CCTV FOOTAGE ?!

There’s speculation about a passing situation on the main road and a head on collision up the thread. Anyway, don’t think that was the case here.

If he left his wifes place and was told it was over, then started driving home and ran out of gas and already pissed off at her family one might take the helmet to the bike smashing what you could and kicking the front tire/axl/fork region could a person do that damage?
Just spit balling all ideas

2 Likes

I noticed the discoloration on the rocks too…it’s slight to the point I didn’t mention it, but definitely noticed.

If I remember correctly, going over the wall there is no bueno. You might not end up in the ocean but it’s really steep and a long way down. Would potentially be very difficult to find a body due to ruggedness and foliage. The scale doesn’t really come through in the photos. It’s a long way down.

One other thing, there is no way the coast guard saw him from the ocean there as mentioned in one of the news articles. That makes zero sense. If they saw him that day it was in some other context.

1 Like

I am imagining a single impact at what must’ve been a fairly high speed. Everyone is saying that area is kind of rest area with a parking lot adjacent to it. So I tend to feel an accident on the main road makes more sense. As for moving the scooter, I’m not suggesting it was ridden (only that I did that with my motorcycle to make a point that it could be moved). Pushed with the motor running to help is how I imagine it being done.

Of course. Just run the scooter into something.

I don’t see how you could do that damage. Also, psychologically, it would be far more satisfying to hit the plastic all over the scooter and have pieces flying all over the place. Aiming at and hitting the front tire would not result in much damage, imo.

Yes, possibly.