Missing Person, David Allan Broderick, “Dave”, Canadian

I’ll try

Haven’t looked at every single post, but I agree that if there was a research mission for a lost foreigner with helicopters being involved, everyone would have heard about it in Taiwan, both in Chinese news channels and English publications.
I don’t recall anything like that in recent years, so I’m not really buying the wife’s story.

1 Like

But if it was something that could be verified, why bother lying about it?

I’m not so sure it would definitely be publicized, but don’t see how it would be possible unless they were searching a specific location where he was known to have been, like a planned hiking trip. If it was a house or something they would just go there.

Where did they search? Then she must have an idea where he might be in the mountains.

Sure can rent a helicopter to perform a service and it’s not cheap many many hours of flight time especially flying to and around Mountain areas.

No one going to helicopter to search unless they know reasonably well where the person might be.

1 Like

Was it already verified that the wife filed a search request of her missing husband to a local polive?

1 Like

Unfortunately there’s not many information to work with, so I can only make some wild guesses. You wrote the following:

Are we sure the scooter broke down and it wasn’t a road accident? I find it very unlikely for someone to have his moped breakdown and be randomly kidnapped by a gang that happens to drive by. Not in Taiwan, at least.

If he was involved in a legitimate accident and he had the bad lucky of hitting the car of some thugs, there’s a chance they didn’t want to get involved in legal stuff with a foreigner and took him somewhere for who knows what. If that’s the case, the wife may be trying to protect the kid because she doesn’t want the thugs/gang to find her, and in order to do so she has to lie and make everyone believe she did everything she could to find him.

If it was a setup accident, there may have been someone who had some beef with your brother and hired the aforementioned thugs/gang, though from what you wrote there’s nothing that would make me think of that.

If what really happened is that his moped broke down and while waiting for help he was kidnapped, then I have no clue how any of that could have happened and how to look into it.

The odds that he would stage a breakdown under a cctv and hire some people to take him away and use it as an excuse to hide on the mountains or leave the island is of course a possibility, but it sounds so unnecessarily elaborate that I wouldn’t consider it.

2 Likes

OK, that triggered an epileptic attack! Thank you!

I gather there may language issues with the wife.

1. The address given for the birth certificate is not in the middle of nowhere but in a rather affluent area of the city. There is nothing bad around it aside from a couple of special KTVs several streets far. That is as fuzzy as it gets here.

2. I think someone has to come to Taiwan and ascertain where/if did the scooter break down. For curiosity sake, where is the scooter right now? What paperwork has been filed? Get copies. record everything.

3. There was a case of two Chinese people -like for the PRC- who were living in the mountains in the middle of a national park for months. Even there, they were spotted and scorted out. As said, a foreigner would be rather conspicuous.

4. As to the facts, we have that Dave was married, working, paying taxes, and kept basically to himself. What has the Canadian Office in Taiwan said? They should have a record of his presence.

5. Seems a Taiwan police report has filed as the brother has said Interpol has contacted him. Local Canadian police cannot contact Taiwan police nor even Interpol -Taiwan is not exactly full member nor has direct access to its files.

I think at this point local Taiwan authorities and press should be contacted.

I thought there was a ridiculous amount of Canadians in Taiwan. What are they doing to help ?

Just got off the phone with police in Taipei.
Don’t think that went well lol
I just wanted to get the case number and see if he was indeed reported missing but think I was just talking to a translator.
Took my number and name and brothers name and dob
So we’ll see.

Did you call the Foreign Affairs Police?

https://english.police.gov.taipei/cp.aspx?n=CFC5CEAB8AFFEF3C

1 Like

Screenshot_20190213-210709_Samsung%20Internet

Called them, I have talked to foreign affairs already, not sure if Taiwan ones.

@Davesbrother Sorry if this question offends you, but does your brother have a fractured relationship with you and your father? It seems strange to me that your brother got married here in Asia without any of his family in attendance. And that it would take more than 2 years after he was reported missing before you took action to find his whereabouts. Just curious, because your niece is already more than 5 years old and the wife is showing Single in her FB profile.

Is it possible Dave has already moved on and maybe re-married and living a quiet life somewhere else and just don’t want to be “bothered” by his family from Canada?

1 Like

I really did not want to go to Taiwan, never met his wife and at the time of his wedding had 3 young children of my own to worry about. My dad does not really travel anywhere anymore.
Taking action now because he has not shown up or made contact with me. Was hoping the police were doing an investigation and looking for him but recently I am not even sure there is still a case in Taiwan or if it was ceased by somebody. As far as the wife stating single I was told she would have to wait 3 years to file a divorce but was told she already is divorced.

Its possible he moved on and remarried but pretty sure the authorities would be notified of this and if you look at his fb page, his daughter was his whole world.

At this point given what’s being said here I feel foul play is more likely

The Foreign Affairs Police in Taiwan is a special police branch in Taiwan that deals exclusively with the foreign community affairs in this country. They not only have the language credentials to communicate with foreigners of different nationalities but also contacts with BOCA, MOFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan) and the representantive offices/embassies in Taiwan, which speeds up many processes.

1 Like

To get divorced in Taiwan is very difficult, esoecially if the party does not agree to it, least of all if the party is missing. We have had cases of taiwanese husband running on foreign spouse and vice versa, it is a legal tangle that takes a few years to solve.

I would be weary of what is said. If the wife has already divorced, that means she declared him as a runnay. It is strange the authorities would just grant divorce without communicating with him.

Is the wife from a well to do or connected family? I mean not only wealthy but maybe government employees?

I really think again someone should come here, get copies of any document that may have been filed or not, and figure out what has been done to find the guy or not.