Mister Donut

Mr Donut coming to Taiwan ? That’s old news, RichardM has been here for ages.

there’s plenty of holes here.

If donuts catch on, 7-Eleven will start selling them (they do in Korea). Actually, it’s occurred to me lately that 7-Eleven really ought to take over the government. I mean, they do everything efficiently. Look at all the things you can do at 7-Eleven now (besides buying food and drinks):

pay your phone/water/electric/tax bills
send/receive fax
photocopies
send express mail (overnight delivery)
buy phone cards (even international ones)
order stuff through the Internet
ATM cash

I’m just waiting for them to offer ARC and driver’s license renewals.

No, I didn’t. I only read the posts in this thread. If President’s going to open more than one Mister Donut store in Taipei by the end of this year, then who cares if one of them is located in Tienmu? But if there’s only one store to be opened in the fourth quarter this year, then I certainly don’t want it to be located in Tienmu, which is too far away from downtown (or from wherever I can more or less easily get to).

Unless the first store is mainly targeted at foreigners or specifically Japanese living in Tienmu (many foreigners live in Tienmu but they may still account for only a small percentage of all the foreigners or Japanese in Taipei (I don’t know for sure though), it should better be located in downtown where it converges much more passenger traffic; besides, if Uni-President runs the business by regarding only foreigners as its target customers, it WON’T MAKE HUGE PROFIT, and it doesn’t need 100 stores.

Takashiyama is a good spot, but I hope it’s not where the first and only one this year is (though some say it’s almost certain). Or I will have to wait longer for other spots to be opened downtown. I’m not going to travel a long way to Tienmu to buy a donut even if I crave for it. And I know there are people over there who think the same way.

I don’t care for donuts, but what I want to know is why in the hell is there no Denny’s here? :fume:

You gotta go to Guam for that. In the meantime, how’s about some Royal Host?

I miss the Meat Lover’s Grand Slam. They’ve gone a bit Happy Day’s retro and the food’s improved quite a bit. :homer:

My wife wanted me to put a Dunkin’ Donut shop in our 40’ container. When DD bought out Mr. Donut it was the loss of some good competition. DD product has gotten smaller and more expensive ever since. Krispy Kreme is their only real competition and they are in very limited markets. Mr. Donut in Asia seems to be thriving.

Some past history for donut lovers kzwp.com/lyons/dunkin.htm

OOC

i disagree. takeshiyama is a department store that gets plenty of traffic. not in any sense mostly foreigners either. but plenty do go there. and plenty of japanese. and the locals are on average well off and more familiar with/inclined to buy foreign products. for a first store or single store, i think the logic is impeccable. it’s a sure thing, a downtown outlet would not be.

There’s a lot of traffic in the 101 area. Much more so in the summer time. Neo19, Warner Village, 101 itself, Mitsukoshi there. Maybe they believe that the traffic in this area, which are comprised of mostly locals don’t have the donut taste thing down just yet.

If the cream puff can make it here, the donut can too!

Regular doughnuts don’t work for me anymore. It’s gotta be buttermilk, preferably blueberry buttermilk. I doubt if this new joint has anything like that.

Did I say passenger traffic? I meant to say customer traffic or whatever is correct. Oh, well… :blush:

foot traffic :wink:

Not true. They actually have no smoking sections. It doesn’t work, though, because the tables are all so close together and there is no actual partition.

When I lived in Sapporo, I used to hit Mr. Donut about every other day. The doughnuts are fresh and the coffee drinkable–also refillable at no extra charge, which is the main reason I went there. They have pretty good muffins, too. It was one of my favorite places in Japan. The Mr. Donut song still plays occasionally in my head along with the Wellcome theme song. I can’t wait till they get here!

Just passed by and asked the renovation workers. Opposite of Takashimaya in Tian Mou used to be a 7/11. How convenient - President just changed that into their new Donuts shop.

Dammit, why does all the good stuff have to be so darn inconvenient?!?! :fume:

I went by there yesterday and it looks complete. They even had doughnuts and people inside eating same. Just not open to the public. I will check it out tomorrow.

Jasons in Takashimaya is open. Takashimaya has redone the basement. It looks more like a regular dept. store B1 now. I didn’t see the McDonalds. It might be gone.

Was it a test run or something? A donut drill?

I didn’t hear any sirens…

Oh, and I’ll take my refilable coffee (free!) with my hat. That’s how confident I am that free refills will be offered there.

On second thought, I’d better go buy a digestible hat in case I’m wrong on this one…

I think they are opening on Saturday. They will be open from 7am until 11pm. The sign outside has hours listed for today and tomorrow, but I don’t know if that is a soft opening or just for training purposes.
I think I will wait until next week before I binge myself into doughnut delirium.