Mitigating annoying trends on Youtube

There are a couple of very useful browser extensions (DeArrow, SponsorBlock) to avoid annoying view optimization trends (aka clickbait) on YouTube. They use crowdsourced data to improve user experience.

First one is DeArrow which replaces annoying open mouth photoshopped thumbnails to a meaningful one from the actual video. Title is made descriptive and non clickbaity.

go from this :-1: ---------------------------------------- to this :+1:

:arrow_right:

Second one automatically skips sponsor ads and promotions added by creators inside their videos. Also can skip repetitive intro’s and outro’s.

ltt

4 Likes

Do these work on the YouTube app?

No, those are browser extensions. But one could use Firefox Nightly mobile browser on smartphones, but it a bit finicky to set up.

4 Likes

I tend to end up watching a lot of Youtube on the games console, using the app. The fucking adverts are ungodly on that piece of shit app. For some reason, I like sticking on “post 10” which is pure “why the hell am I watching this?” and then Linus Tech Tips whose irritating demeanour is akin to a cheese-grater on the ballsack.

The Spotify app on PS4 is still pretty nice to look at, which is good because they’ve ruined the UI everywhere else, otherwise the PS4 would be soaking in the deep blue.

1 Like

I recently bought a v that has a youtube app and t was shoving ads at me every few minutes mid-video. Insanity. Luckily it’s possible to hack the tv and install a modified youtube app with no ads and sponsorblock.

I wish there was a third-party recommendation engine. Youtube’s recommendations are utter garbage. Narrowly focused on what I’ve watched before, shows the same suggested videos for freakin months and I still haven’t clicked them – it’s hard to find new content to watch.

1 Like