MLKjr and the muckrakers

the FBI was involved in a lot of smear campaigns against both civil rights leaders and rockers. anyone with a conscience was a target.

Al Capone is turning in his grave,i tell you…

Human nature. And to some degree, we are all guilty of being curious about what other people are doing. . . . I think his sex life is open game. . . . [/quote]
The problem is, the abundant insults you’ve posted about MLK and a few others are not only almost all false, but are also completely unsubstantiated. I don’t deny that MLK, Jr cheated on his wife. But the stuff about him having a long-time affair with a librarian, having sex with three white prostitutes in his hotel room just before he was shot, beating them, and shouting mid-orgasm, "oh, lord, I’m not a niggr now" are all completely sleazy, racist, defamatory allegations of the jews and niggr-hating Stormfront idiocy organization or yourself, some anonymous nobody on the Internet.

Those allegations DO NOT shed any light on the targets of the allegations. Instead, they’re just a bunch of lies that may mislead some naive viewers into believing there’s truth behind them. You still have not refered to any credible evidence supporting your claims.

Moreover, it was odd how eagerly you initiated this discussion, out of the blue, full of false, sleazy, defamatory allegations about a black man who was one of the great figures in the US peace and civil rights movements, tearing him down with your abundant unsubstantiated smears, and only late in the discussion acknowledging, grudgingly, that the man’s life had any merit.

For those reasons, I don’t believe this thread adds an iota of understanding of MLK’s psyche and, if anything, it raises troubling questions about yours.

Grace Slick -
Good points all. I am glad to see your rebuttals to the “pc censors” who try to stifle such points as you’ve made.
The publics fascination/interest in things such as this are historical - think:Thomas Jefferson. Ben Franklin in France as well as Jack Kennedy and former President Bill Clinton*.
MLK, Jr. has a place in history that will not be changed by any revelations such as these.

Agreed, he never said he was the Messiah.

Agreed, he never said he was the Messiah.[/quote]
Pssst!

Beat 10,000 and get back to me.
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … highlight=

The passage about the white librarian and MLK is contained in the book, “the Real RFK” by C. David Heymann. . . [/quote]

Oh, this C. David Heymann? Now there’s a credible source. :unamused:

time.com/time/magazine/artic … 24,00.html

[quote]. . . Hugh Kenner, a Pound scholar from Johns Hopkins University, questioned the authenticity of Mr. Heymann’s work. In 1983, Professor Kenner told The Washington Post, “I demonstrated [ that an interview that Heymann said he had done with Pound was ] a wholesale fake. I found the book from which he had lifted the Q-and-A, a book published in Venice and done with an Italian interviewer.”

. . . Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton came into Mr. Heymann’s life. He said he interviewed the ailing heiress “a dozen” times . . . He said he had some of Hutton’s notebooks and her signature giving him permission to use the materials as he wished. Poor Little Rich Girl: The Life and Legend of Barbara Hutton, was published in 1983. A few weeks later, Random House recalled the book because a Beverly Hills doctor, who Mr. Heymann claimed had overprescribed drugs to Hutton, pointed out that in the year Mr. Heymann had him drugging Hutton, he was only 14 years old. The print run of 58,000 copies of the book was shredded, and Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morganthau’s office investigated Mr. Heymann for fraud . . .

New York Post columnist Jack Newfield, who had also written a biography of R.F.K., attacked Mr. Heymann as “a man who defames the dead. He reads the obit, then writes the novel.” . . .[/quote]
whatreallyhappened.com/RANCH … ldman.html

[quote]Heymann. . . occasionally makes such connections, but they are overshadowed by a pageant of unanalyzed naughty anecdotes. . .

two pages of a chapter called ‘‘Sex,’’ for instance, are devoted to extended quotations from Doris Lilly, whom Heymann describes as a ‘‘society columnist’’ . . .We also hear Truman Capote’s musings about the size of the Kennedy brothers’ penises.

Heymann often relies on single sources who turn out not to have personally witnessed what they describe. . .

Citing a New York lawyer, Howard Diller, Heymann suggests that . . . But Diller’s actual statement involves third-hand information – what he had heard that agents ‘‘purportedly’’ said. . .

Heymann casually endorses the theory that . . . And he speculates that Robert Kennedy’s killer . . . If that weren’t enough, he introduces a new conspiracy involving . . .

The police never discovered evidence of . . . Heymann explains this away, of course, but I’ll leave the details to readers interested in tabloid speculation.

Heymann often makes the worst out of . . . Heymann sheds no light on the obvious question about . . .

Heymann equally exaggerates . . .

Heymann embraces the myth that. . . What is not defensible is the way he deals with the rest of Kennedy’s life. . .[/quote]
nytimes.com/books/99/01/03/r … ref=slogin

Enjoy your tabloids GraceSlick and TC.

[quote=“Josefus”][color=green]Mod note: I split this from the Kwanzaa thread in Open. The title is my own creation. -DB[/color]

Off topic, but from the site:[quote]01/19/98 Newsweek, Page 62

January 6, 1964, was a long day for Martin Luther King Jr. He spent the morning seated in the reserved section of the Supreme Court, listening as lawyers argued New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, a landmark case rising out of King’s crusade against segregation in Alabama. The minister was something of an honored guest: Justice Arthur Goldberg quietly sent down a copy of Kings account of the Montgomery bus boycott, “Stride Toward Freedom,” asking for an autograph. That night King retired to his room at the Willard Hotel. There FBI bugs reportedly picked up 14 hours of party chatter, the clinking of glasses and the sounds of illicit sex–including King’s cries of “I’m f–ing for God” and “I’m not a Negro tonight!”

Note: What is not mentioned in this article is that Martin Luther King was having sex with three White women, one of whom he brutally beat while screaming the above mentioned quotes. Much of the public information on King’s use of church money to hire prostitutes and his beating them came from King’s close personal friend, Rev. Ralph Abernathy (pictured above), in his 1989 book, “And the walls came tumbling down.”[/quote]

Woah! Is this stuff true!?[/quote]

I’m reading a really good book at the moment entitled LBJ: Architect of American Ambition. Pretty comprehensive view of LBJ’s life with updated materials from recently released materials. In any case, on page 577 of the book, the above-mentioned MLK group sex story at the Willard Hotel is mentioned again pretty much word for word along with decriptions of the above-mentioned cries. The author of this 2006 book is Randal B Woods, the John A. Cooper Distinguished Professor of History at the University of Arkansas. The paragraph was footnoted to a book by Taylor Branch entitled Pillar of Fire: America in the King Years, 1963-65, page 207. Taylor Branch, by the way, ran Texas for the McGovern campaign in '72 and is a Pulitzer Prize winning author.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Branch .

I don’t think the above-mentioned historians/authors using this Willard Hotel material in their recent books are racist people on the far right or left of the political spectrums. History has shown that numerous American political/religious figures from Alexander Hamilton to Thomas Jefferson to MLK to LBJ have had pretty interesting social lives with plenty of “rumpy pumpy”, and I for one don’t think that revelations should be quietened in academia in the name of overzealous PC or that it somehow lessens the huge contributions that MLK made to race reconciliation in the US by discussing such items many years after his death or including it within chapters of books that look at the often complex relationship between MLK and the Dems in the 1960s.

I think people earlier in this thread that labelled the people writing this material as hate-spewing people with an agenda were incorrect. It seems now that this story is being used in mainstream academic histories and by McGovern campaign workers/social historians no less.

Hey, it’s on the internet, it has to be true

HG[/quote]

People believe crap like that about MLKJ which they hear tenth-hand because it fits the stereotype. Meanwhile, with their own eyes, the exact same people will watch the video of Rodney King’s roadside torture and say, “That’s not police brutality.”

Even without the aspect of racism, it is any surprise these things happen? Or that some nutjob was arrested this weekend for talking about and planning the assassination of Barack Obama?

[quote=“Sleepyhead”]People believe crap like that about MLKJ which they hear tenth-hand because it fits the stereotype. Meanwhile, with their own eyes, the exact same people will watch the video of Rodney King’s roadside torture and say, “That’s not police brutality.”

[/quote]
So you believe that these pulitzer prize winning, former McGovern campaign worker/author/academic or the esteemed University of Arkansas historian are part of this demographic? :unamused: :thumbsdown: