Model rockets (DIY)

Has anyone perused the subject further? A group of friends would like to try to make the real thing with the parachute at the top. With my poor Chinese, all I can find were display non flying rockets.
Can some Chinese speakers do a better search and see what the hobby shops have to offer?
I’m also interesting in gas powered model cars and planes. I probably won’t do the planes but the cars look promising. I saw some guy playing with one but there was no time to chat…
I really miss the smell and smoke of the gas powered models the older kids had back in the day. Fantastic… Tt was great to smell that again.

Sorry I don’t know about this. I think if you wanted model rockets you are going to have to make the motor yourself, and it isn’t exactly safe to do so. Or you are going to have to use fireworks bottle rockets.

I think if you want to go that route it’s much safer to make composite propellants.

Lots of places to run the gas powered or electric cars. Right next to the Taipei zoo there is a nice one.

I’m sure no one would look twice if you went out into the countryside to launch some rockets either.

Sugar chlorate is two commonly-available chemicals mixed and pressed into a tube. There isn’t much simpler.

One YouTube video recommends using sorbitol instead of sugar and melting them together to mix thoroughly. You can do it in a double boiler on an electric hotplate (don’t use a gas flame, obviously).

Chlorate is too unstable to work safely. Don’t mess around with it.

2 Likes

Hobbyists have been using it for decades. Don’t smoke while making it, and use it soon because it’s hygroscopic as hell.

Here’s the sorbitol guy. If you use sugar instead, don’t try to melt it together, the melting point is too high.

BTW, yes, his videos are annoying af because of all the editing jumps. Such is life.

Just make sure you don’t accidentally mix it with sulfur or whatever… Because then it becomes impact sensitive.

On the plus side chlorate is easy to make. All you need is pool chlorination anode and salt and a titanium plate (make sure it’s grade 2).

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I as a rule will only play with products that carry the UL sticker or Taiwan equivalent. No improvising chemicals for me.
I want to do things my kids or students can replicate.

Question why are motors not sold here while fireworks are totally legal and sold in main stream stores?
Is it that no one tried due to lack of interest?

Could it be that the motors are explosives? True, but they are less explosive than fireworks and the motors are already label as a “safe toy’” for the appropriate age group as long as instructions are followed.

Is it because it flies? Same argument as above.
Could an interested party seek to import the motors or kits?
What licenses would be necessary? Whose jurisdiction would this be under?
And more importantly what would be the liability should a complete idiot miss read or ignore the clearly written CHINESE institutions on the box of an already approved US product with Chinese packaging?

1 Like

I don’t know about rocket motors , I do see folks flying actual jet engine powered model planes though :no_mouth:.

1 Like

I think they are similar. It’s been a long time since I played with them (10 years old, got high on airplane dope, plane crashed :woozy_face:).
Rockets are easier.
If those plane guys are sociable, could you chat with them and ask them which hobby shop they use. Once I get a name, I can get more info.
Thanks