"Modeling" as opposed to "Modelling"

Ok, this is funny, and kind of a pain in my ass since we are building a site for a famous Chinese super model.

After going through the nearly finished site, I told the flash designer that the menu leading to her gallery of photos as a model was misspelt. It was spelled “Modelling.” And that he needed to change it to “Modeling.” He looked it up and said his spell checker and Dictionary.com said it could be either.

It seemed OK at first thought, but then I started to feel that 2 L’s lent it a different meaning. We’ve got noun vs trans verb going on here.

So off to the dictionary, and another, and another.

I don’t want to have some idiot misspelling on the menu of a site seem by thousands of people, with built by “A foreigner who can’t spell” on it, so I’m curious what you English teachers think.

British versus American spelling. Are you an idiot? Or, perchance tautologically, are you an American?

Hey, post a link to her website when it’s up. I’d be interested to see what you did for her.

Mispelling is an art, doncha no?

story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … sspellings

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Most native speakers of English [i]are[/i] American.

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Obviously one is used for little stuff nerds build inside bottles in a dark basements.

The other one is used for women who think a bottle of carbonated beverage is a meal.

“Traveling” versus “travelling.” Amercian spelling versus British spelling. Same, same.

I dunno…I believe that “Modelling” is some sort of art work, or to form something into a model of some sort. Like claymation or a small airplane, while “Modeling” is the profession of being a model (and can also be the playing with a piece of clay as mentioned above).

As a verb, I think it can be spelled either way, but as a noun, only one “L” if relating to the profession of being thin and beautiful and high paid. Any confirmation on this?

[quote=“offpeak808”]I dunno…I believe that “Modelling” is some sort of art work, or to form something into a model of some sort. Like claymation or a small airplane, while “Modeling” is the profession of being a model (and can also be the playing with a piece of clay as mentioned above).

As a verb, I think it can be spelled either way, but as a noun, only one “L” if relating to the profession of being thin and beautiful and high paid. Any confirmation on this?[/quote]

I took out my big dic (complete Merrian Webster - almost 3000 pages) and modelling and modeling are variant spellings and both can refer to the act of displaying clothing, etc, and working with a material (such as clay).

I couldn’t find any example of modelling used as a noun as per your example above.

And as a profession is it being used as an adjective. The modelling profession. Unless you say, she is into modelling, then indeed it is being used as a noun.

Hmm. My dic does not cover “modelling” as an adjective or nouse. Strange. Yes, this case is more complex than I thought.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Obviously one is used for little stuff nerds build inside bottles in a dark basements.

The other one is used for women who think a bottle of carbonated beverage is a meal.[/quote]

Know many models do you?

Here are 4 noun variants I found online…
This is kind of complicated.

Modeling \Mod"el*ing, n. (Fine Arts) The act or art of making a model from which a work of art is to be executed; the formation of a work of art from some plastic material. Also, in painting, drawing, etc., the expression or indication of solid form. [Written also modelling.]

[i]Source: Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary,

I don’t think it is that complicated, offpeak88.

In British English, use two “ls.”

In American English, use one “l.”

When you are writing and editing your Web sites, are you doing so in American English or British English? What is your standard for spelling–Merriam-Webster 11, for example? Which style guide are you using–Chicago 15?

This is the same as choosing between “harbor” (Am) and “harbour.” (Br)

From Merriam-Webster 11:

Main Entry:2model
Function:verb
Inflected Form:-eled or -elled ; -elξng or modκlρing *md-li, m-dl-i\
Date:1625

transitive verb
1 : to plan or form after a pattern : SHAPE
2 archaic : to make into an organization (as an army, government, or parish)
3 a : to shape or fashion in a plastic material b : to produce a representation or simulation of using a computer to model a problem
4 : to construct or fashion in imitation of a particular model modeled its constitution on that of the United States
5 : to display by wearing, using, or posing with modeled gowns

intransitive verb
1 : to design or imitate forms : make a pattern enjoys modeling in clay
2 : to work or act as a fashion or art model
odκlκr also modκlρer *md-lr, m-d*l-*r\ noun

From Collins Co-build:

model
1 model models
A model of an object is a physical representation that shows what it looks like or how it works. The model is often smaller than the object it represents.
…an architect’s model of a wooden house.
…a working scale model of the whole Bay Area…
I made a model out of paper and glue.
N-COUNT: oft N of n (AM) modeling, modeled
= replica, mock-up
+ model
Also an adjective.
I had made a model aeroplane.
…a model railway.
ADJ: ADJ n (AM) modeling, modeled

2	model   models  
A model is a system that is being used and that people might want to copy in order to achieve similar results. (FORMAL)
    We believe that this is a general model of managerial activity.
    ...the Chinese model of economic reform.
N-COUNT: with supp  (AM) modeling, modeled  

3	model   models  
A model of a system or process is a theoretical description that can help you understand how the system or process works, or how it might work.  (TECHNICAL or FORMAL)
    Darwin eventually put forward a model of biological evolution.
    He proposed a model of stress reaction in the body.
N-COUNT: usu with supp  (AM) modeling, modeled  

4	model   models   modelling   modelled  
If someone such as a scientist models a system or process, they make an accurate theoretical description of it in order to understand or explain how it works. (TECHNICAL or FORMAL)
    ...the mathematics needed to model a nonlinear system like an atmosphere.
VB  (AM) modeling, modeled  

5	model   models  
If you say that someone or something is a model of a particular quality, you are showing approval of them because they have that quality to a large degree.
    A model of good manners, he has conquered any inward fury.
    His marriage and family life is a model of propriety.
N-COUNT: N of n  (AM) modeling, modeled  approval  

6	model  
You use model to express approval of someone when you think that they perform their role or duties extremely well.
    As a girl she had been a model pupil.
    Hospital staff say he is a model patient.
ADJ: ADJ n  (AM) modeling, modeled  approval  
= exemplary  
7	model   models   modelling   modelled  
If one thing is modelled on another, the first thing is made so that it is like the second thing in some way.
    The quota system was modelled on those operated in America and continental Europe.
    The program will be modeled after a popular BBC series called `The Archers'.
    She asked the author if she had modelled her hero on anybody in particular.

8	model   models   modelling   modelled  
If you model yourself on someone, you copy the way that they do things, because you admire them and want to be like them.
    There's absolutely nothing wrong in modelling yourself on an older woman.
    They will tend to model their behaviour on the teacher's behaviour.

9	model   models  
A particular model of a machine is a particular version of it.
    To keep the cost down, opt for a basic model.
    The model number is 1870/285.
N-COUNT: usu supp N  (AM) modeling, modeled  
= version  
10	model   models  
An artist's model is a person who stays still in a particular position so that the artist can make a picture or sculpture of them.
N-COUNT  (AM) modeling, modeled  
= sitter  
11	model   models   modelling   modelled  
If someone models for an artist, they stay still in a particular position so that the artist can make a picture or sculpture of them.
    Tullio has been modelling for Sandra for eleven years.
= pose  
12	model   models  
A fashion model is a person whose job is to display clothes by wearing them.
    ...Paris's top photographic fashion model.
N-COUNT  (AM) modeling, modeled  

13	model   models   modelling   modelled  
If someone models clothes, they display them by wearing them.
    I wasn't here to model clothes.
    She began modelling in Paris aged 15.

?modelling  
    She was being offered a modelling contract.
N-UNCOUNT: oft N n  

14	model   models   modelling   modelled  
If you model shapes or figures, you make them out of a substance such as clay or wood.
    There she began to model in clay.
    Sometimes she carved wood and sometimes stone; sometimes she modelled clay.
    The artist recorded interviews on a variety of topics and modelled an appropriate animal for each voice.

© HarperCollins Publishers.

Usage seems to vary more than one would expect.

Do a google search for modelling schools (spell “modelling” with one l and two) and you will find both being used in US and UK schools and magazines.

I’d venture to say there is no fixed spelling for the term with respect to pretty girls and boys eager to put themselves on display. Too much cross-polination between the UK and US.

That said, I’d go for one l if I was otherwise using American spelling.

Thanks for the input.

In the end (after looking at a lot of sites with lots of pretty pictures), it feels like less than 20% of these sites use 2 “LL” regardless of locale, so I’m going for one “L” just to be safe.

If I do a search for either Google or Yahoo Directories, using one L and 2 L’s, it’s always one L. (Taking into account that these are both US based search engines)

directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Design/Fashion/Modeling/
dir.yahoo.com/Arts/Design_Arts/ Fashion_and_Beauty/Modeling/Models/

This is all pretty ironic since most models probably can’t spell anyways.

I have found this quite a lot in Taiwan. Amongst foreigners, those who speak British English are more likely than their American counterpart to know the alternative spellings of words as well as the different ways of saying different words. This post serves as an example. Hold the flames a moment. I think it’s got a lot to do with media. In Australia, we speak British English yet probably 50% of our television programs are American, so we’re well aware of alternative sayings so to speak. I remember early this year 2 North American speakers claiming I was making up words when I used anticlockwise rather than counterclockwise in a sentence.

Using the above logic, go the one ‘l’ route. That way, nobody will look at it confusingly :unamused:

Yollu mellan alln unedllucated Amerillcan, dllon’t yollu?