Moderators interpretations of rules

Although Forumosa has general rules that governs this site, many are open to how each moderator sees it.

Would it be possible to get those permastickies at the top of every thread so we can know what we are dealing with in each forum?

1 Like

Probably not every thread. We’ll figure out some ways to make things clearer though!

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why so much 𝖗𝖊𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓? :dvd::frog:

Hah. Good luck. I got suspended for a month in part for asking this question last April, albeit in circumstances and words different from yours.

@Mick is the safest moderator, and for that I thank him (again).

I’d be careful generally, though, since I believe moderators are granted the power to interpret “the rules” inside their forums in ways that are tolerated widely by the powers that be here.

I can’t blame them; after all everything is done gratis here. I think the “moderating theory” that dominates affairs here is “whatever you see fit is ok since you passed the initial test and I can’t disagree,” whatever that test may be.

@tempogain is definitely an admin who’s loyal to his moderators, seems to me.

3 Likes

No you didn’t get suspended for asking any question or asking about this issue in any sense.

That’s strangely worded. Are the powers granted, or are the actions tolerated? It can’t be both. In fact, the powers are granted and this principle is clearly stated in the site rules:

A moderator-friendly website. We think of Forumosa as a “Moderator’s Forum”. The rules are designed to help the moderators moderate the forums. Decisions about content are ultimately made by that forum’s moderator(s), who have paramount authority in their respective forums.

No. If a moderator for example decides that posting won’t be allowed in their forum on Wednesdays, or whatever, we’ll disagree. In short, I see these forum rules as reasonable applications of the principle above and the following rule:

Note that “excessive” or “egregious” are not clearly defined, and are subject to interpretation. Also, I don’t feel that these rules should be onerous for anyone, though I’m listening.

I’ll accept that gladly, but it’s not unlimited if that’s what you are suggesting, and it wasn’t an issue in your case, if that’s what you’re suggesting. That was warranted

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why so much 𝖗𝖊𝖕𝖗𝖊𝖘𝖘𝖎𝖔𝖓? :dvd::frog:

I think that part of the confusion lays with the fact that the interface obscures any distinction between forums. I used to wonder why the mods even care enough to a post moves from general discussion to living in Taiwan when all that changes is how the post is tagged. I used to think it was all for archival purposes. Upon reading this thread (and the discussion in the other thread which sparked this discussion), now I realize that the mods see a greater distinction between forums, even if we lowly members do not.

1 Like

Not only that.
Non-regular visitors also have different ways to browse the site. For example, one could be interested in food in Taiwan, and visit the Food and Drink forum only.