MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2011-2012

Hi all,

I’m in a lucky position because my university Chinese professor has apparently secured up to 8 HES for students in our Chinese program (and there’s not many of us, so I’m all but guaranteed a spot). I’m not sure how long it will be for, though.

But I just want to determine something: does the HES provide ONLY the stipend of NT25,000? Or does it pay one’s tuition as well? There seems to be some conflicting information out there.

I ask because a number of the schools out there look far too expensive for one to pay tuition out of the stipend (e.g. ICLP, Fo Guang). Where do you all plan on applying to? Are you paying tuition out of your own savings, or do you think the stipend will be enough to cover it as well as living expenses?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

they give the similar amount for university [eg master] programs so i guess it’s enough ;] University I wanna go says one needs about 6500 us dollars for one year [include tuition fees]

i have questions too:

does embassy or TOR at your country provide information about this scholarship?

TOR here [Slovakia] provide info only about scholarship for university studies.
Do you think this means no chance to get Huayu scholarship in my country?

I will send email them next week, so I hope i could get Huayu if they wont choose me for Master studies scholarship.

they give the similar amount for university [eg master] programs so i guess it’s enough ;] University I wanna go says one needs about 6500 us dollars for one year [include tuition fees]

i have questions too:

does embassy or TOR at your country provide information about this scholarship?

TOR here [Slovakia] provide info only about scholarship for university studies.
Do you think this means no chance to get Huayu scholarship in my country?

I will send email them next week, so I hope i could get Huayu if they wont choose me for Master studies scholarship.

I’m here on a HuaYu scholarship. Each embassy/consulate has different policies for the HuaYu.

They are given in increments of 3 months up to 12 months. Some embassies/consulates will give only 3 or 6 months, some will give up to 12 months. The maximum HuaYu scholarship given by the New York consulate is 6 months. Some other consulates max out at only 3 months.

My consulate gives up to 12 months but they awarded me a shorter scholarship. The scholarship has become much more competitive in recent years (unlike the China Scholarship which is still relatively easy to obtain). Because more people are now applying, some consulates have decided to award more scholarships of shorter duration rather than only giving a few people longer scholarships.

The 25K NT$ doesn’t include tuition and a few other necessary fees (for example, if you come on a longer scholarship you will need to get an ARC (1000NT$) as well as mandatory medical insurance (4 months after you get your ARC) which is about 750 NT$ a month.

If you live frugally you can get by on the 25k NT$ a month but just barely. Most likely you will have to dip into your savings a bit.

I currently spend about:

Tuition+books - 12K month
Rent+utilities+internet - 15k month (New studio in a good area near the subway 13k, internet 1k, electricity and water 1k)
Cell phone- 500 a month
Insurance- 750 a month
Food+coffee - 10k a month (300 a day)
Transportation (bus/subway 30 per day) = 1000 a month.

Total: ~39k a month (not including travel around the island, nights out drinking or seeing movies, airfares, gym membership, language tests, private tutors, supplementary books, etc.)

I live in Taipei. You can probably go to a slightly less expensive school and get a slightly less expensive apartment (a classmate rents a room from a Taiwanese family and pays roughly 7000 NT$ a month) but you will be hard pressed to get below 25 NT$ a month while living in Taipei.

VERY helpful post gongfei, thanks a million. My hats off to anyone who can get by on 25k!!

In Tainan, there’s a relatively new studio near Chenggong Daxue with internet for around 5k/mo. I lived there for a year a couple years back. I can PM you the details if you’re interested.

By the way, getting by on 25k a month isn’t that hard. Finding low rent is the key. I was doing it when I was making around 85k a month, and that’s why I can go to school now without too many financial worries :slight_smile: These days, I spend about 20k a month not counting dorm fees and tuition.

[quote=“Chauncey Gardener”]But I just want to determine something: does the HES provide ONLY the stipend of NT25,000? Or does it pay one’s tuition as well? There seems to be some conflicting information out there.

I ask because a number of the schools out there look far too expensive for one to pay tuition out of the stipend (e.g. ICLP, Fo Guang). Where do you all plan on applying to? Are you paying tuition out of your own savings, or do you think the stipend will be enough to cover it as well as living expenses?[/quote]
I’m presently doing the language-program part of the Taiwan Scholarship, which is exactly like the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship. The scholarship doesn’t cover the tuition or any other fees (ARC, TOCFL test fees, health insurance, whatever), only the visa fee is waived. Shida tuition is ~25k TWD every three months, which leaves you with about 16k TWD per month for all the other expenses. A place to live near Shida will cost you at least half of that each month. Even living a particularly arid life it’s unlikely one could survive on the money from this scholarship alone, especially considering language-program participants are not entitled to dormitories.

A correction to what Doraemonster wrote, the visa fee is waived only for recipients of the Taiwan Scholarship (the one for the degree). Recipients of the HuaYu Scholarship still have to pay the visa fee.

But only get a single entry resident visa; don’t bother paying for a multiple-entry. Once you get your ARC you’ll have a multiple-entry visa anyway, no extra cost.

Does it cost much to upgrade from single-entry to an ARC? I ask because there’s a special “youth mobility” visa now on offer in Canada that’s good for a year of multiple-entry for $100CDN or around $3000NT, all in.

Edit: Does anyone know the likelihood of being accepted into a chinese program? I’m going to apply to NCCU/Zheng-da, my first choice because they have some M.A. level classes in English that I want to take, but I’m wondering if I should have “safety schools” as well. My credentials are top-notch but I’m just thinking they might have quotas etc.

If you are a scholarship recipient you get your ARC right when you arrive as long as you entered with a resident visa. The cost to get the ARC is 1000 NT$.

4 months after you get your ARC you are obligated to join the national health insurance program.

Does anyone know if they will award the scholarships to APRC-holders with no intention of leaving the country?

Hi,

I also have a question about the application form. It says that it must be “typed” but as far as I can tell it is a read-only document … Do I need to try to find a typewriter?! How do I fill it out?!

moetwdc.org/English/document … orm%20(HES.pdf

Sorry for the silly question, but it’s frustrating me!

if you save it still read only? you proly need to print it then and hand fill it.

anyway, i have email from my embassy: no quota for my country for this scholarship ;[

[quote=“conta”]if you save it still read only? you proly need to print it then and hand fill it.

anyway, I have email from my embassy: no quota for my country for this scholarship ;[[/quote]

Keep at it. :slight_smile:

[quote=“poppy”]Hi,

I also have a question about the application form. It says that it must be “typed” but as far as I can tell it is a read-only document … Do I need to try to find a typewriter?! How do I fill it out?!

Sorry for the silly question, but it’s frustrating me![/quote]

I typed in all information with my computer , then filled in the boxes by hand.
If you say it is only “read” i believe you should try to open it with another program, i use Mac; Open Office.

If you are eligible to apply then your eligible .
This is the rules for 2011

a. Be of 18 years of age or older, a high school graduate or above, have an excellent academic performance in his/her most recent formal educational study experience and be of good moral character.
b. Is not an ROC (Taiwan) national.
c. Does not have the status of being an overseas compatriot student.
d. Is not currently a registered student at a Mandarin training center, nor was a degree-seeking student at any university or college in Taiwan.
e. Is not an exchange student in accordance with an agreement of cooperation between an international university/college and an educational institute in Taiwan, at the time of receiving a HES
f. Has never received an award either under this scholarship program nor the Taiwan Scholarship Program.
g. Is not a recipient of any other scholarship or subsidy offered by the Taiwan government or any other educational institutions in Taiwan.

I am myself balancing on the rules since I am not a registered student when I applied but I will be during selection , but rules are rules right :wink:

[quote=“BiReal”][quote=“poppy”]Hi,

Sorry for the silly question, but it’s frustrating me![/quote]

I typed in all information with my computer , then filled in the boxes by hand.
If you say it is only “read” I believe you should try to open it with another program, i use Mac; Open Office.

If you are eligible to apply then your eligible .
This is the rules for 2011

a. Be of 18 years of age or older, a high school graduate or above, have an excellent academic performance in his/her most recent formal educational study experience and be of good moral character.
b. Is not an ROC (Taiwan) national.
c. Does not have the status of being an overseas compatriot student.
d. Is not currently a registered student at a Mandarin training center, nor was a degree-seeking student at any university or college in Taiwan.
e. Is not an exchange student in accordance with an agreement of cooperation between an international university/college and an educational institute in Taiwan, at the time of receiving a HES
f. Has never received an award either under this scholarship program nor the Taiwan Scholarship Program.
g. Is not a recipient of any other scholarship or subsidy offered by the Taiwan government or any other educational institutions in Taiwan.

I am myself balancing on the rules since I am not a registered student when I applied but I will be during selection , but rules are rules right :wink:[/quote]

So students who are currently enrolled in a degree program can apply as long as they haven’t studied in Taiwan before, correct? The wording of criterion d. isn’t clear enough. As for criterion g., “is not a recipient” means at the time of applying, correct? It’s alright if you’ve received a scholarship in the past. :ponder:

I’m a Canadian applicant, and this is the requirements stated in the guidelines:

“a. A completed Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Application Form (including a study plan).
b. Photocopy of passport or any other documents that can verify the nationality of the applicant.
c. Photo copies of the certificate of the highest credential and transcript.
d. Photo copies of the applications to the Mandarin Language Centre
e. Two letters of recommendation with sealed cover signed by referees.
f. The terms of agreement with applicants’ signature.”

About point “d.”: This suggests we have to be applying to our chosen centre before we hear back about the scholarship. Is this correct? Although it doesn’t outright contradict anything elsewhere, it does seem counter to what other sections/forms have said.

And, anyone else have to write a “Study plan while in Taiwan”? What are your general pointers? I want to expand into some motivation and bigger goals, ect. But I’m wondering if I should stick strictly to what my specific day to day, curriculum-centred, learning would be.

Also, any stories from fellow Canadians experienced in this scholarship process would be great!

Thanks All

[quote=“Yeezy”]I’m a Canadian applicant, and this is the requirements stated in the guidelines:

“a. A completed Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Application Form (including a study plan).
b. Photocopy of passport or any other documents that can verify the nationality of the applicant.
c. Photo copies of the certificate of the highest credential and transcript.
d. Photo copies of the applications to the Mandarin Language Centre
e. Two letters of recommendation with sealed cover signed by referees.
f. The terms of agreement with applicants’ signature.”

About point “d.”: This suggests we have to be applying to our chosen centre before we hear back about the scholarship. Is this correct? Although it doesn’t outright contradict anything elsewhere, it does seem counter to what other sections/forms have said.

And, anyone else have to write a “Study plan while in Taiwan”? What are your general pointers? I want to expand into some motivation and bigger goals, ect. But I’m wondering if I should stick strictly to what my specific day to day, curriculum-centred, learning would be.

Also, any stories from fellow Canadians experienced in this scholarship process would be great!

Thanks All[/quote]

Hey Yeezy, I’m Canadian as well, I’m also applying but through my school, so I’m on a separate admissions track from you, but I’m doing all the same stuff. As for point d, it’s my understanding that you should apply to a language school (or several) and include photocopies with your HES application. So for example, I’m applying to NCCU’s Chinese program (for which the application date is also March 31st). I think the purpose of this is to establish a dialogue between the MOE and whatever school you apply to, so if you are awarded a scholarship they can fasttrack your acceptance to the language school (can anyone confirm this? It just seems logical since the schools would presumably want HES students).

The study plan will of course be different for everyone, but I’m planning to do a mix of the two styles you mentioned. I know one Canadian was awarded a six-month scholarship last year, and all he submitted for his plan was a daily itinerary outlining the 12 hours of study he planned to do each day, what he would spend his time on, etc. He wrote it in Chinese, which would probably be a good idea if you’re able to do that. So I’m going to throw together something like that, but I’m also writing, in English, a “letter of intent” style piece describing my commitment to learning Chinese, and why studying in Taiwan and learning Chinese is useful for my career goals. My Chinese teacher said I should really emphasize how long I’ve been studying Chinese and why it’s important to me, since that shows the acceptance committee you’re taking your studies seriously–rather than just seeing it as a vacation.

Good luck to you, make sure to come back in here to post if you’re awarded a scholarship :slight_smile:

Any Australians on here applying for the scholarship? Cant wait to see the results. I applied for 12 months. But I do notice in Australia they are not in the habit of granting 12 months. I will be going to taiwan to study chinese either way.