MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2011-2012

Well, after a fiasco with my recommendation letters, I finally got everything in. Now for the waiting. Good luck to everyone!

Just thought I’d post my experience applying for the scholarship this year: I was denied! Well, I’ve been told I’m on (the top of at least) the alternate list, which means there’s still a chance I coud get it, but who knows.)

Not sure exactly what they’re looking for, but here’s me: Bachelor’s in East Asian Studies ('07), Freeman Asia Scholarship recipient, study abroad time in both Japan and China, 2 years of experience as a full-time translator, letters of rec from a well-known Chinese philosophy scholar in the states and a superior/co-founder working in Chinese education.

I graduated with a 3.3, so maybe that’s it. I did also get the impression that they prefer to give it to students transferring directly from universities abroad. Oh well!

Anyone from Australia heard anything heard anything yet? Apparently the results were supposed to be posted on Friday which was a public holiday so who knows when we will actually find out.

My grades were not great, however my recommendation letters were pretty good, so we will see what happens.

[quote=“sinktheboats”]Just thought I’d post my experience applying for the scholarship this year: I was denied! Well, I’ve been told I’m on (the top of at least) the alternate list, which means there’s still a chance I coud get it, but who knows.)

Not sure exactly what they’re looking for, but here’s me: Bachelor’s in East Asian Studies ('07), Freeman Asia Scholarship recipient, study abroad time in both Japan and China, 2 years of experience as a full-time translator, letters of rec from a well-known Chinese philosophy scholar in the states and a superior/co-founder working in Chinese education.

I graduated with a 3.3, so maybe that’s it. I did also get the impression that they prefer to give it to students transferring directly from universities abroad. Oh well![/quote]

Which consulate did you apply to and which university did you graduate from (in East Asian Studies), if I may ask?

Chicago, and Grand Valley State University in Michigan.

I think I got the scholarship!

I got an email from the TECRO guy today saying I needed to email in two documents so I could be sent the official acceptance certificate. So no official word, but that sounds pretty sure to me!

For reference, here’s my qualifications:

Bachelor of Music in Film Scoring (3.15 GPA)
Letters of rec. from a prominent Art Historian/curator of a major museum and my boss at Starbucks (last minute ordeal when my other recommender fell through)

And that’s about it really. I’ve studied Chinese on my own as a hobby for a while before I decided to make an academic career in the field. Before this I was a manager for a few different retail stores in TX. Never been to Asia or even outside of the Americas.

Anyway, hopefully I’m right about getting it. I’ll post here again when I get the official word. Best of luck to everyone else who applied!

So I got the 9 months I requested. Really pleased, although I’m starting to have second thoughts now that I’m actually confronted with the reality! Mostly I’m concerned about leaving my girlfriend for 9 months (I’ll definitely fly her out to visit once or twice, though) and putting off real life for another year (I’ll be 27 in a month). Learning Chinese is an integral part of my career plan, but I still feel ambivalent about spending some of my best years in perpetual student-hood. I feel a lot of pressure to get my career going and start earning some income.

Anyone else getting cold feet? And for those already in Taiwan on an HES, what’s your take on the trade-offs involved? :ponder:

Congratulations on getting the scholarship, still haven’t heard back about mine. Might have to give them a call.

[quote=“ChineseQuest”]I think I got the scholarship!

I’ll post here again when I get the official word.[/quote]

I did! The certificate is in the mail, according to the guy at TECRO. I’m accepted to the MTC at Shida, but after reading reviews I may see about going to the CLD at Taida instead. Anyone know if that’s doable, or if I have to stick with the school whose admission letter I used for the scholarship application?

Good luck again to everyone!

Has anyone who applied at San Francisco been contacted yet? The winners aren’t up online. I probably didn’t get it, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Hi all,
12-month winner from Canada here. Got the good news April 30. Now to decide which school to go to!

Hello,

I am attending chinese classes at the Mandarin Training Center of the National Taiwan Normal University. I’m taking intensive classes (3hrs a day). So far, I don’t have to complain. Classes only have 8 students. I had good and friendly teachers. You can check their website there : web.mtc.ntnu.edu.tw/mtcweb/ . I pay 32.400 NTD per semester. Regular classes (2hrs a day) are 25.200 NTD per semester.

I heard that the Chinese Culture University also have good quality classes while being cheaper. You can check their page there : mlc.sce.pccu.edu.tw/default.asp?lang=en

Welcome to Taiwan. You’re going to have a really good time here, it’s guaranteed.

I’d like to hear more about the qualifications of everyone who won. I’m interested in the Asia Pacific Studies program at National Chengchi University. Frankly, I’d go ahead and start it this fall out of pocket but it sounds like that would disqualify me for the scholarship next year.

I got a 6 month from NY. Still have a day to let them know. Pressure from family about where it fits into the long term plan. I’m in my 30s and applied for the hell of it. I like language and Chinese culture. CCU

Me:
B.A. English Literature and History
Just completed first year M.A. in international affairs
Taught English in Taiwan for 8 months
Studying Chinese for 2 years

I’ll probably be taking a few classes at Zheng Da/NCCU’s Asia Pacific Studies program at the MA level. Maybe I’ll see you there!

@ChineseQuest:

I just asked the same question to TECO in Canada–I also asked whether or not I could switch schools mid-way without losing hte scholarship–and they gave me the following response:

“You can apply to another school and send the copy of admission letter to us
asap but not later then June 30, 2011. Due to you be offered 12 months
scholarship, you can change to another school after the first semester.”

**D. After the first semester (quarter), recipients of a maximum one year
scholarship can request a one time only transfer to another Mandarin
Language Center with permission of the original Mandarin Langage Center."

So, it’s possible. I’m thinking about CLD pretty seriously too at this point, switching from ZhengDa. Not sure if TECO’s answer is dependent on having a 12-month scholarship or not, or if that’s your situation, but hope it helps. Maybe I’ll see you at TaiDa!

@coxing: why are you thinking of switching out of Zheng-da, if I may ask? Heard bad things?

What do people typically do, or rather, what are some things people have done after finishing their studies on the Huayu scholarship, both in and out of Taiwan?

Thanks for the info, Coxinga. I think I’m actually going to stick with MTC for now, but it’s good to know I can switch if I don’t like it there.

Osaki, I can’t speak for others, but I’m hoping to begin an MA in Chinese when I get back to the US. If I’m not accepted for the fall of 2012, I may move to Japan and study there for a year after my year in Taiwan. I’ll need to know Japanese for my PhD anyway, so why not, right?

OK. But why do you need to know Japanese to do a PhD in Chinese? What are you getting your PhD in?