MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2012-2013

Good day! I know it’s a bit too early for this but I would just like to collect as much data as possible so I would be prepared when I try to apply for the scholarship.

My main concern is that I have zero knowledge in Mandarin, would this cause a problem?

If you could suggest schools that focuses more on beginner students, that would be great.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

No it won’t be a problem to not know Chinese.

Anyone know when the NYC TECO deadline is for apps?

Deadline should be in March if it’s like last year. You’ll need recommendation letters, so start thinking about it well before then. I wrote a post on my blog about what the application process was like for me as an American, check it out if you like:

outofmountains.blogspot.com/2011 … hment.html

[quote=“okonomiyaki”]Deadline should be in March if it’s like last year. You’ll need recommendation letters, so start thinking about it well before then. I wrote a post on my blog about what the application process was like for me as an American, check it out if you like:

outofmountains.blogspot.com/2011 … hment.html[/quote]

The process differs by TECO, not country. Ie, a NY TECO has a different process than the TECO in Texas. Likewise, a NYer has a different process AND different odds. NYers and those in the Northeastern corridor are up against all of the students in the several top universities in the region like Columbia, NYU, Yale, Princeton, Cornell. A Texan is up against… the cows?
[Edit: I just noticed your point about those in SF v. those with lesser known Asian Studies depts. BTW, white text on a black background is incredibly difficult to read.]

Either way, the NY TECO needs to get its online shite together. I went there twice to be like “Yo. Your site sucks.” “We have a new one” “Well, its not very easily accessible as Ive only seen the new one a few times and can never seem to get it when I want it to work.” “Oh… uh… We’ll check on that for you.”

What do I do if I’m already in Taiwan wanting to apply?

You mail your home country/region TECO

I don’t know how to get one of the Taiwan Scholarships without testing in the TOCFL…

Why is this a concern for me? I live in China and I don’t have access to anywhere to take the test…

[quote=“Rabidpie”]I don’t know how to get one of the Taiwan Scholarships without testing in the TOCFL…

Why is this a concern for me? I live in China and I don’t have access to anywhere to take the test…[/quote]

Take a plane and get tested in Taipei.

[quote=“Lili”][quote=“Rabidpie”]I don’t know how to get one of the Taiwan Scholarships without testing in the TOCFL…

Why is this a concern for me? I live in China and I don’t have access to anywhere to take the test…[/quote]

Take a plane and get tested in Taipei.[/quote]

The test is twice a year…

It sucks.

[quote=“Rabidpie”][quote=“Lili”][quote=“Rabidpie”]I don’t know how to get one of the Taiwan Scholarships without testing in the TOCFL…

It sucks.[/quote]

They won’t accept HSK results :unamused: …Why must the Taiwanese government be different from everyone else when it comes to the Chinese language? If they just used the HSK, it would make students’ lives so much easier, and they could invest the money they would have spent designing tests in more scholarships/modern textbooks…

[quote=“archylgp”][quote=“Rabidpie”][quote=“Lili”][quote=“Rabidpie”]I don’t know how to get one of the Taiwan Scholarships without testing in the TOCFL…

It sucks.[/quote]

They won’t accept HSK results :unamused: …Why must the Taiwanese government be different from everyone else when it comes to the Chinese language? If they just used the HSK, it would make students’ lives so much easier, and they could invest the money they would have spent designing tests in more scholarships/modern textbooks…[/quote]

Awww man, why is life so hard? if only everyone would join together and accept the HSK there would be peace across the land.

Might as well study in Korea first then try to get the scholarship :smiley:

Two for the price of one!

I am Korean but I do not see any information on this program in the Korean Taipei embassy or anywhere else. Is there a webpage where I can verify the list of countries eligible for this scholarship?

I posted this message a few days ago, but I am re-posting it here in hopes of eliciting some responses!

Hello,

This is my first post on Forumosa, so please go easy on me! I have been reading through several postings on the Learning Chinese Forum, and I have not found an answer to my question. I apologize in advance if this topic has already been addressed, and I appreciate any guidance you can offer!

I lived in Taiwan for 3 years (working as an English teacher), and I recently returned to my home country (USA). My boyfriend is currently attending NCCU on the Taiwan Scholarship, and I plan on returning to Taipei to study Chinese full-time. I am in the process of applying to the Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship for the 2012-2013 academic year.

This year’s application is not out yet, but I have looked through the 2011 application guidelines. According to the MOE website, candidates are not eligible to apply if they are currently “a registered student at a Mandarin Language Center.” I confirmed this restriction with my local Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office (TECO in San Francisco).

So here is my question: would it be possible for me to first apply for the scholarship here at the SF TECO, then return to Taipei to take a Chinese language course this spring semester? Technically, I would not be a “registered student” at the time of submitting my application, but I would be by the time the scholarship results are released (June 15th). The main obstacle that I anticipate is the type of visa that I use for returning to Taiwan this spring (considering that I would need to obtain my visa from the same TECO that is reviewing scholarship applications!)…so I was considering applying for a Visitor’s Visa and just taking the language course “under the table,” so to speak. Then, if I received the scholarship for Fall 2012, I would return to the USA and apply for a Student Visa before starting up at another Mandarin Language Center.

I would really like to get a head start on Chinese language study, but I do not wish to do so at the expense of (potentially) receiving a great scholarship opportunity! Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!! 謝謝!

When the heck are they going to put up info?

The San Francisco TECO said that the 2012 application would be out “at the end of January.” My guess is that it won’t be available until after the Chinese New Year holiday.

On the MOE website, the “Revised Taiwan Scholarship Program Guidelines” were released on January 1, 2012:
english.moe.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem= … 11364&mp=2

…but nothing for the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship yet.

I would still welcome any guidance regarding my earlier post–any insight? Thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

Hi! I just heard about the opening for application for MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship 2012-2013. I read already the eligibility rules. I became more curious. Are these rules applicable to a foreigner married to a Taiwanese, and that foreigner haven’t lived in Taiwan yet? I’m a Filipino civil engineer and just got married last month to a Taiwanese. Sadly, I’m living far away from my wife since I cannot leave immediately my work. I just wanna try my luck in applying into this scholarship. I’m currently based here in Manila, Philippines. I’m just not sure if I’m still eligible with this or not anymore. If there’s someone/applicant here who has same case like mine, may I ask your expert advise. Thank you very much. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Any word on the Taiwan Scholarship/TOCFL thing?

Didn’t they just rename it the TOCFL in January? And the first test of the year isn’t until May, so…how the hell are people supposed to have their results by March 31? :loco:

I was planning on applying for a year of language study, but if I can’t apply this year because of the TOCFL thing I’ll just pay my own way through another year at MTC, take the TOCFL later this year, and then apply for the Taiwan Scholarship (for an MA in Chinese) next year. Pain in the ass.

hi, do you guys know about this?
my home embassy said, that in order to apply, you are not allowed to be enrolled in any school in taiwan from april to september. bc it seems like they want new people to come to taiwan an dont give the scholarship to people already here.
this seems very strict, bc they asked me like 5 times.
so basically I have to stop studying for half a year.
in the rules of the scholarship it said, you are not allowed to be a student when you apply.

Yes I read about that. It means that my starting study at the beginning of the (Southern Hemisphere) academic year probably renders me ineligible :frowning: Can I claim discrimination? :slight_smile: I did think of trying to apply before getting here but too short of notice alas. [strike]So there’s now about 3 months during which I could apply except I’ll be studying. I finish my studies about a week after the closing date. Hmm. I might e-mail the embassy/cultural office and inquire anyhow. Seems stupid that you have to delay your studies for half a year.[/strike] Oops looking at the wrong scholarship dates. May try e-mailing to inquire anyhow.

[quote=“taiwantiger”]hi, do you guys know about this?
my home embassy said, that in order to apply, you are not allowed to be enrolled in any school in taiwan from april to september. bc it seems like they want new people to come to Taiwan an dont give the scholarship to people already here.
this seems very strict, bc they asked me like 5 times.
so basically I have to stop studying for half a year.
in the rules of the scholarship it said, you are not allowed to be a student when you apply.[/quote]

UPDATE: Heard back from the ‘embassy’. Nope not eligible for consideration. Sucks to be a southerner :slight_smile: