MOE Scholarship (Taiwan Scholarship Program)

Hello everyone,

I’ve already applied for a PhD program in Taiwan university, and also applied for the Taiwan Scholarship Program in my country.
It seems like both Taiwan Representative Office and the university received my application, now I’m just waiting for the interview part, and I have to admit I’m a little nervous about it!

I’ve been searching for informations on the Internet about the interviews, especially the one for the Taiwan Scholarship Program in the Taiwan Representative Office, but I’m not really satisfied with my findings…

So here come my questions! Is there anyone on this forum who already applied this scholarship before? If so, did you have an interview at the Representative Office? What kinds of questions do I have to be prepared to face?

Thanks a lot for your replies! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Hi. In my case the process was very straightforward, i think that once they tell you to go to the representative office it means you’re already in the program. They might ask you a couple of questions like, why you want to come to taiwan to study?, so have a good answer for that on the pocket, but i dont think your answer will have any effect on your application.

That being said, when I applied we were only 5, (only 2 for MOE scholarship). Where are you from?

Thanks for your reply! :slight_smile:

So the aim of this interview is to know better the candidate, in a physical way this time?

I’m from France!

Well it was like that in my case, but just to be sure, why don’t you call the office and ask about the interview process?

A little info about Taiwan might help: http://taiwaninfo.nat.gov.tw/

Best of luck with the interview.

Wouldn’t be like asking a teacher for the questions before a test? Ha ha ha

Thanks for the website, I’ve known it for several years already! :smile:

Hello Aymeric,
Can you please tell about your interview procedure?
On what basis the select generally?

Hello All please reply to same questions if you gone through MOE interview procedure?

Hello All

I have apply for MOE Scholarship for IMBA.
I have an interview for this.
What they generally ask in interview?
What are the chances to be selected for MOE Scholarship?
Your answer is important to me so please reply

1 Like

Why IMBA? Why this university ? Why Taiwan? What experience you have? What do you want to do in the future ?

chances: depends on how many applications and what quota your TECO has.
if they have 3 scholarships and 5 applicants your chances are better than 3 scholarships and 20 applicants.

It’s been so many years, I’ll try not to forget the details!

In general, the interview is to make sure that they won’t give a lot of money to send someone who just wants to travel for free. The questions were somehow oriented to make sure to select candidates who know why they wanted to go to Taiwan, why this university, why this department, why this program, etc.

So here are my thoughts:
1/ Convince the jury that you know Taiwan and can adapt to the life here.
It’s one thing to know what one wants to study but another to go to another country, adapt to another culture and learning/speaking another language. Some questions will be oriented to obtain these answers. You’ll have to convince that:
a) you know the basics of Taiwanese culture (if you came here before, tell your story)
b) you’ve already learnt some Mandarin, or you can already speak Mandarin, if you have a certificate it’s the best. If not, convince the jury that you’re willing to learn Mandarin
c) maybe in more general, show that you can adapt to new environment very well

The reason is that the jury doesn’t want to select someone who will leave Taiwan after one or two semesters.

2/ Convince the jury that you know why you want a Taiwanese degree.
a) Why do you want to study in Taiwan? Focus on the place at this point. What is so special in the Taiwanese undergraduate/graduate environment that makes you want to come here and not studying in your own country for example?

b) Why this university? Why this department? Why this program? Focus on the university and department you’re applying for at this point. Show that you’ve made your homework. For instance, I knew exactly where I wanted to study my Ph.D. because I was already in touch with one professor and made one internship in her lab. I had taked courses in the department as an exchange student. So I was completely aware of the possibilities, the workload, etc. The more precise the answers, the more reassuring you are to the jury

c) What is your project? The answer depends on what kind of degree you’re seeking
→ BA: What do you plan to do after getting your degree? Entering graduate school or working? In Taiwan or abroad?
→ MA and Ph.D.: What is your research project? Do you have topics in mind? If yes, who are you going to write your thesis/dissertation with?

The last question is very tricky. I remember that there were three people in the jury, two Taiwanese officials and one academic expert. The expert asked me very tricky questions, such as ‘do you know Dr. blablabla from [research institution in Taiwan] who works in the same domain as you?’ ‘To what extent would you say that your research project is similar or differ from Dr. blablabla? Why not choosing Dr. blablabla as your supervisor?’ I think I could convince because of this question, because it shows the degree of maturity of the project. Simply, I just convinced them that they weren’t going to throw someone into the wild with money!
These questions are mega important, there are many cases of international students with this scholarship who dropped out after two semesters as they realized that the department they got in wasn’t as ideal as they thought… So if you’re sure of what you’re doing, don’t hesitate to contact the professors in the department beforehand, and during the interview, don’t hesitate to say ‘I’ve exchanged emails with Prof. blablabla on April blabla 2023’. Again, the more detailed the better!

And finally, there is the factor of luck, like izzy said! But be aware that it’s always possible that the jury selects 0 applicant in the end if none of the interview is positive, so the best way is to be prepared!

Good luck!!

Hi, I have applied at the scholarship and unfortunately I have been put in a waitlist. May I ask if you think I still have a chance of getting accepted.

Depends on luck. Usually at least one person selected gets cold feet, can’t leave for health or family reasons, and if they are sincere enough, they may actually tell the embassy/representative office before the university deadline.

2 Likes

I kind of think that being waitlisted is a soft rejection, i think there are about 50 people who applied at the scholarship and only 18 have been awarded. I mean, I already knew that my chances of being accepted is slim but it still hurts when the news came, and i’m a bit grumpy about it because most of the scholarship awardees can be considered pretty rich and can afford to study abroad without the scholarship, I just wish that the committee who chooses the recipients also considered the financial capability of the applicants.

1 Like

Do you know all 18?

Anyways, maybe some of them will change their minds. If they have that much money, maybe they’ll choose a different destination. Maybe you’ll get lucky and they’ll be unable to come for some reason. Maybe Chinese sabre rattling will scare someone off. None of that will be a problem for the scholarship organizers, because they have a wait list :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

No need to feel grumpy, even though I know that it’s the natural reaction after such news.
There are many other considerations which are out of our control. But about this scholarship, we have to keep in mind that it is offer by the government to attract international students, not to assist international students with limited financial resources. In other words, they don’t really care if you’re rich or not, and it may even reflect which profiles of new workers the government thinks they would need 4-5 years later. It may just be the case that they think they would need more students in AI or something else. So it’s just luck sometimes. No need to blame yourself at all.

Have you already been accepted in the university program you applied for? If yes, it’s another reason not to blame yourself. It means that the department committee thinks that you’re academically qualified to pursue your degree. So don’t take this news as a rejection, but the priority was placed somewhere else this year.

This said, the MOE scholarship is only one of the scholarships you can apply for. Once you’re in the university, there are many more scholarships for international students offered by (a) your department, (b) the Office of International Affairs (國際事務處) of your university, and (c) the Ministry of Education (tuition waiver, scholarship for the whole semester, etc.). So the game isn’t over financially. These scholarships are really oriented to help the students financially. For example, if you’re already recipient of the MOE (or MOE-like) scholarships, you can’t apply for any other (or you’re just said that the priority will be given to students without scholarship, another way to say “don’t waste your time”).

Plus, you can work as an assistant for your department or one of your professors. There are also opportunities to get extra money outside the university – not only as a language tutor, but also as background actors in movies or series, being interviewed for TV or radio programs, etc.

If it can help you feeling better, the MOE scholarship isn’t completely ideal actually. The amount is not so high and it’s very limited in time, especially for MAs. Generally, it gets to an end before you can graduate, which means that you’d have to find another way to find money while you’re at the last stages of your curriculum. Of course it’s really helpful, but what is not said is that you start getting the money 2 to 3 months after your arrival. So the beginnings are struggling for anyone, with or without the scholarship.

If you do really wish to pursue this degree, I’d advise you to contact the administrative assistants of the department you’re accepted in and the OIA for alternative scholarships you could apply for right now.

2 Likes

Does any of you know how to prepare for the NTUST basics of mathematics examination? They only gave sample problems, and it’s kind of hard to understand.

Get together with other foreign students and organize study groups. Get the course contents and go over those. Memorize the samples given.