MoI changed the ID Number format

Ok. I didn’t know they had an account at chunghwa post. You mean a bank account with them ?

Yes, exactly! Chunghwa Post also has banking services. :slightly_smiling_face:

What’s the advantage of opening there compared to regular banks?

No idea, I don’t have an account there - you’d have to check the website and/or use the search function here. I understand that it’s one of the few banks that still allows foreigners without an ARC to open an account though.

I assume that all foreigners are supposed to update their banks with the new number anyway, as we’re supposed to do that when we get a new ARC. None of the three banks I have accounts with seem to have emailed me about this yet, though (not 100% sure, as I don’t really pay attention to those emails).

They are open on Saturday mornings. (9-12 am, depends on location)

Yes, that’s the mail I received. I knew that the change in ID format was in the works, but didn’t know it was actually being implemented right now. A good thing on the whole; a ton of updating to do once you change though.

2 Likes

I like how the post office has locations and ATM’s all around Taiwan, even in small towns where I travel to so there’s no extra withdrawl fees for being out of network . Plus Saturday service at some branches as someone already said

Also if you get a new Taiwan ID number, don’t forget to update tax information on your overseas accounts. They usually require you to provide a TIN (Tax Identification Number) if your main residence is in Taiwan, this number is your ARC/APRC ID number.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if APRC holders with an open work permit will need to get a new work permit with the new APRC number on it?

4 Likes

Thanks for the reminder and good advice!

2 Likes

Apparently banks preemptively blocked the new foreigner ID numbers from working online.
Also doesn’t work for Ikea family

2 Likes

Remind you that non-nationals are not open to apply for this service.

No, all foreigners are not allowed to apply online for credit cards at E.SUN Bank!
Banks here are allowed to discriminate against foreigners.

Here is their code, only 1 & 2 allowed aka only Taiwanese:

https://card.esunbank.com.tw/EsunCreditweb/js/common.js

function isLocalID(id){// 20191001新制身分證判斷89也是外國人
	if (!isEngNum(id) || !isEng(id.substring(0, 1)) || !('1' <= id.substring(1, 2) && id.substring(1, 2) <= '7' )) {
		return false;
	}
	return true;
}
5 Likes

Same with IKEA Family. Only Taiwanese allowed. Nothing to do with new format.
You can ask your Taiwanese spouse to apply :sideeye:

https://www.ikeacard.com.tw/js/form.js?v=20180517

if (!(inputId.substr(1, 1) >= "1" && inputId.substr(1, 1) <= "2")) {//第2碼非1或2
        return false;
}
2 Likes

So why we have new format? I thought it’s to prevent this kind of discrimination. But seems new format is equally useless as old one. Since they insist on keeping new number different than Taiwanese citizens one there was no point changing it. They could use that energy and ask those banks to adapt their system to old number.

4 Likes

They tried (and failed) to make services which accidentally (clueless programmers) not validate ARC/APRC numbers more prone to accept IDs from foreigners.

Services which discriminate on purpose will continue to do so.

6 Likes

How is this legal?

Welcome to Taiwan!

Taiwan touches your heart ™

They imagine you get the IKEA Family card and flee the country. Too much trouble… /s

6 Likes

It is probably not that Ikea doesn’t want foreigners to have the card, but they think that if they allow them to, then IKEA will have to get English speaking support staff to deal with the ‘foreign’ members. Could also be that they just don’t know foreigners have a different format of ID number. Has anyone contacted them to find out?

1 Like

Bilingual Nation by 2030 ™

Soon!

They know. If you ask why, then don’t expect any meaningful answer.
Probably someone ignorant in the upper management decided so.

This won’t change because in most cases discrimination against foreigners is not punishable with a fine by law in Taiwan. You can ask for mediation though! :joy:

6 Likes

I have an IKEA Family card, it’s not verboten to foreigners, don’t know why their website doesn’t allow registration, they do say contact a staff member at the prompt.

1 Like