MoI changed the ID Number format

really? is that MoI’s true date? If so, wow.

3 Likes

It’s only ten years if you have an APRC and your passport expires in ten years from now. You will get the new ID number format as soon as you get a new APRC or ARC, so for most people it will be less than ten years.

As soon as your ARC expires, your address changes, or you update your passport, you’ll get the new ID format.

I’ll be forced to get it in November.

6 Likes

I’m good for 5 years luckily. Hope by then it all gets straightened out with the businesses. Somehow I doubt it

2 Likes

Does anyone happen to know if it’s possible to not have a gender written on the card?

Doubt it, but your gender would still be identifiable through the second digit of your ID number.

On my passport it just says X. I’m looking forward to blank faces in the nia when I renew my arc in September.

1 Like

They might just use the same gender as on your old ARC. If they can’t determine your gender from your passport, I wouldn’t be surprised if they asked you to have a medical checkup from a doctor who can determine your gender physically on behalf of the NIA. If they notice the updated gender field, or you tell them, I would be prepared for a lot of hassle and wasted time.

Taiwan does apparently have a third gender option,
now on passports and ID cards, don’t know about ARCs.

In January 2018, it was announced that plans to introduce a third gender option on identification documents, such as passports and the National Identification cards, would be implemented in the near future. In November 2018, Chen Mei-ling, the Minister of the National Development Council, announced that these plans come into effect 2020.

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/new-national-id-card-will-recognize-trans-as-a-third-gender-in-taiwan/

https://www.reuters.com/article/taiwan-lgbt-idUSL8N1O61JZ

1 Like

I’m german. We have this option since 2 years.

1 Like

It’s been a month, has anyone found one yet?

@audreyt: Do you have a list of government services/sites that accept the new ID format, but didn’t accept the old one? Thanks so much.

This is something I would ask @au personally.

The current ARC old ARC and Taiwanese numbers do not allow flexibility for non binary members.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the old number is also stamped somewhere else on the card? I heard a suggestion it might be. I am planning to get a card soonish… and would like to know what kind of mess I’m getting myself into first.

1 Like

Yes on the back of the card.

6 Likes

I believer the minister must be aware of gender option thing better than anybody else. But naturally the option should be open first to Taiwanese national before it is to foreigners.

It will be, not should be.

2 Likes

Why? Are transgendered people any less capable at being productive members of society?

How in the world you say that based on which part of what I said?

You said ‘should’

Why ‘should’ Taiwanese get it first and then create EXACTLY the same problem as right now with companies failing to update the algo?

What makes it so difficult to just simply take care of foreign and Taiwanese trans people at the same time? What is inherently different?

1 Like

I am not English native. So I stand corrected, I shoud have written “But naturally the option will be open first to…” instead of should.

Now again why even if I wrote “should” can mean that I meant “transgendered people any less capable at being productive members of society”?

3 Likes

Why should it naturally be open first to Taiwanese?