MoI changed the ID Number format

Oh my god. Would I need to change my NHI card as well? I’m worried it might affect my vaccination queue. I’m due for a second dose on November and my current NHI card has the vaccine sticker.

I can’t speak for the PC your booked in, but you’ll keep your old NHI card and the new APRC has the old ID printed on the back.

Thanks. You mean the new APRC will have my old number format printed right on the back of the card? Would it be necessary to update my bank regarding this number change?

You’ll need to update your NHI, Banks, Laobao, other insurances, Driver’s licenses, HSR App and anything else where you signed up with our old ID.

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

:tired_face:

Thanks though. Oh my god for the nth time. :confounded:

1 Like

You’re welcome. Here’s some useful information:
https://www.translatingtaiwan.com/2021/02/04/afterthechange/

5 Likes

I wasn’t able to get my tax return direct deposited.

does anybody know if I need to update my automatic debit card payment places? like my gym deducts money every month from my account, do I need to go tell them? or will the deductions still go through?

As one of the major complaints was the requirement to redo paperwork in person at banks, the NIA said it has worked with the Financial Supervisory Commission (FSC) and that over 20 major banks now offer ways to update account information without having to apply face to face.

However, Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) holders must still contact any entities with which they have registered auto-pay services to confirm if any information needs to be updated. They must also reapply for electronic bills and online or mobile banking accounts.

cc @Marco

many registration systems still reject the not-truly-unified identification numbers

:cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5382/5385/7445/238440/243278/243280/245011/

After I change to the new UI No., can I open an account and apply for a credit card online?
Answer:

But since it belongs within the scope of a bank’s operational independence whether it offers online services for account opening and credit card application, the document submission requirements and qualifying criteria are up to each bank to decide for itself.

I know the qualifying criteria of all banks!!! Foreigners can not apply online for credit cards at any bank! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

Friendly reminder that the government had 3 years to plan the switchover.

6 Likes

What a ckusterfuck.
Shameful treatment of resident foreigners .

8 Likes

@dan2006 - can you PM me some details about the time your credit card was cancelled when you were updating your ARC (name of your credit card provider, what happened, when, & which branch/phone) ?

I’m in a meeting with FSC, Banking Bureau, and a dozen banks this afternoon and may be able to raise this specific issue.

Same goes for anyone else whose credit card was cancelled as a result of the ID number change, or lost access to their bank account etc.

11 Likes

Hi… I have various cards so I don’t remember which bank it was. I do remember that it was when I switched my ARC to APRC, and I provided them a copy of the new card. I got a call from the visa department saying that if it was a new number I needed to reapply. Since it was the same number (prior to these changes) the rep was satisfied and hung up.

Hopefully you can ask them in the meeting if any of them will ever allow us to apply online for cards and loans … thanks for your work though and looking forward to their comments

2 Likes

1 Like

I was with Union Bank. March 2020. Originally they had claimed it was a GDPR problem. Then when i called them out on their bullshit they changed their story to ‘Computer says no’.

It was obvious they didn’t want a foreigner on their system. Especially after my renewal with Citi Bank. I don’t have bad credit.

2 Likes

Marcos post just reminded me. Taichung bank tried non renewing me but they backed down when I called the FSC… but that was separate from the ARC issue, they just didn’t want me on their books but denied that in the end and chalked it all up to a misunderstanding.

1 Like

I think many use the ID change as an excuse to get foreigners off the system. No shortage of xenophobes working at these companies.

3 Likes

Can we have a list when banks commit to their decision? So we don’t have to fight local branches with random (made up) requirements.
We can show them the list and provide the required documents, get a card like everyone else.

But first the ‘not sure’ answers must be remediated.

4 Likes

Summary of bank account ID number update badness by bank. Please confirm or add more.

Bad experience:

• Taishin - takes multiple hours and sometimes multiple trips to the bank and several phonecalls, requires new online banking setup, no benefit to update (still can’t access Richart App)
  • Shanghai Commercial and Savings Bank - 2 hours, required complete closure of account and reopening using new atm card, new online banking
  • E.Sun - 4 hours, issues during the process result on inability to use online banking, part of the process can only be done in Chinese, no benefit to update (still can’t access E.SUN eFINGO)
  • Union Bank - credit card cancelled and refused new credit card
  • Taichung Bank - lost access to credit card

Mixed results:

• CTBC - 10mins to do the update, but until the update is done transfers are blocked (including salary payments)

Good process:

• Chunghwa Post - 10mins
  • Cathay United Bank - 10mins for credit card, can use same card
6 Likes