MoI changed the ID Number format

Yes. I edited it to the normal date format.

2 Likes

Now we can collaborate and create a website to explain the new ID format and ‘name shame’ companies that do not accept foreigner ID numbers. :grin:

4 Likes

Since they will be replacing ARCs, I wish they also considered changing the format (graphics, colours, etc.) to make all ARCs look the same and as close as possible to the ID card. Gold Card and Plum Blossom Card are awesome-sounding names, but not so awesome when the shop owner thinks that we have just printed it in the backyard :laughing:

1 Like

From the perspective of the government, a clear distinction between the ID cards of citizens and foreigners is likely quite important. Being able to quickly identify who is and isn’t a foreigner without needing to scan their ID card, or read the fine print has clear advantages. From an equality standpoint, it would be nice, but it would certainly cause a lot of confusion, at least at first. Do any other countries/regions do this?

In Canada, ID cards immigrants receive are identical to citizens.

Only the Social Insurance Number differs as it starts with 9 for immigrants and comes with an expiry date. The SIN card doesn’t look otherwise different. You don’t show the SIN card and the physical card has been phased out for the most part, though old farts like me still have it.

Obviously an enhanced driver’s licence is only available for citizens but yeah…it’s all identical.
Citizens
Foreigners

Why is it important to immediately discern if the person is a citizen or not? Does it matter? It would only cause confusion to those who are TRYING to discriminate.

1 Like

Governments like to discriminate, in my experience.

I was thinking about something like in Singapore, where pink cards are for citizens and blue cards for whoever else from Permanent Residents to professionals, students, spouses, etc. So same graphics but different colour. I have no issues with governments differentiating between citizens and non-citizens, even with a different ID number as long as it is universally accepted like in Singapore where the first letter for citizens is S/T and for foreigners F/G.

The super shiny gold Gold Card really looks like I have just printed it in the backyard :rofl: :rofl:

Is it even necessary to make it super clear who is a foreigner and who is not?

…meaning provincial ID like the health card, driver’s license, or age of majority card, as there is no national ID card in the ordinary sense.

That’s right. The only thing that foreigners have federally is the PR Card but not necessary for daily life.

Right. But the SIN Number is not a day-to-day identification card.

Especially with its phaseout, most people dont get a card anymore.

Right. I’m just saying there can be (and in Canada’s case is) a logical reason to have different types of ID numbers for citizens/PR’s and everyone else.

Absolutely, but, even the SIN number is nearly identical and most Canadians don’t even know that 9 stands for foreigner/temporary. It’s still white and red.

He’s talking about an obviously easy to discern identification card by Joe Public.

Pink and blue cards. Blue/Gold ARCs and laminated ID cards. Making it easy to tell who is and is not a foreigner in settings where it’s not needed or necessary. Like Phones.

1 Like
2 Likes

That’s to do with Taiwanese IDs, not about ARCs. That story has been going on for awhile now.

ARCs will use the same tech. No?

I think ARCs already do use that tech, no?

The article talks about the new chips and their software.

AFAIK new ARC and TaiwanID are basically the same thing for different purpose

Are the chips for the new National ID different to the chips in ARCs?