MoI changed the ID Number format

So, who is going to tell them they can save money? :frowning:

1 Like

Don’t they spy on us?

We need to be differentiated so industry can exclude us anyway. Can’t help but think this was a make work project or a budget surplus that had to be used by year end since it’s in no way useful.

I wonder if they will add a clause to protect companies, which do not implement the new format for several years, from discrimination lawsuits. :thinking:

Currently it is illegal to reject/discriminate ARC holders if there are no regulatory laws behind it.

You would think so but there isn’t.
As an example the financial services commission has said repeatedly that banks can choose who they give credit to including discrimination if needed.

Same with the phone companies.
Private business can just say no foreigners and there is no recourse, in absence of anti discrimination laws.

1 Like

Can I discriminate Taiwanese in my business?

Ha ha ha. Every time I look to move, including just recently, I always get at least two or three landlords who flat out tell me (or tell the agent) “I don’t rent to foreigners.”

3 Likes

This is the real issue/solution.

1 Like

Exactly. Is there political will to change it to help us ?
Tbf Japan and Korea have various anti discrimination laws that are basically flaunted with little recourse too so maybe laws won’t help either.

The solution now is to harass companies until they comply, when the cost of dealing with various complaints is greater than the ease of saying no they will usually give in

Yes! You’re a private business, you can ‘discriminate’ against anyone. Just don’t make it to obvious.

1 Like

Here it is, if it is to distinguish us from locals than they’ll know (by our ID number) that when sending official documents it should be bi-lingual.

Local governments also discriminate again citizens. For instance there are many tourist sites where local residents get a cheaper deal but folks from outside the county (who don’t have the huji) need to pay more.

Where’s that law?

Considering all the uncertainty about the new format and the fact that if you opt for the new format you need to update your details with all your banks / employer etc. I think I won’t bother initially and wait to see how others get on. It could end up being no more convenient than the current system.

I don’t know which law they used to win the case. May be you can find more info on the case if the record is public.

1 Like

What the f*** is wrong with just updating their software to accept the ID number we have now?

2 Likes

Well then, looks likei ll have to brush up on my detectiving skills once again.

That would mean foreign residents in Taiwan would be allowed (almost) full participation in Chinese society. Can’t have that now can we?

Unless the Taiwanese government truly decides to make it a priority to stop legal discrimination against ARC and APRC holders, this is meaningless.

3 Likes

Right now, Taiwanese government priority is to differentiate between citizens and foreigners by their ID number. If the government wants to discriminate, how can they stop others of doing it themselves?

4 Likes

The article doesnt say if the format will be identical or if they will choose weird numbers. But hey, new news!

1 Like