Monkeys! I want to see a monkey!

Seriously…I do!

Last time…actually both times I was in Taiwan, I had no such luck. Went all over too…from Kenting to Bali and pretty much everywhere in between…no monkeys! :frowning:

So, where would one find monkeys in the wild in Taiwan? And I dont mean Taipei Zoo :raspberry:

Carnegies. :wink:

Gaoxiung … monkey hill
Taitung … not to far from the hot springs

The zoo in Muzha :laughing:

仁山苗圃 in Dongshan Village in Yilan County has wild monkeys. I found them to be rather rude.

You’re going to be living in Kaohsiung soon. Chaishan Park just on the edge of the city is loaded with them. They get pretty aggressive.

I saw a monkey about 3 hours ago. We were out at Wawagu near Wulai (just south of Taipei), looking at a gorgeous waterfall when one climbed up out the branches above us.

Alishan. Take the morning sunrise bus to Tatajia (Yushan) and the bus stops at a monkey crossing area.

I believe people say you can see them in Tienmu (northern Taipei) on the trail up to the cultural university.

If you really want to see them join the hiking club when you come back. Omniloquacious will set up a river tracing hike where you may just get to swim in a tropical river pool while monkeys play above you in the branches.

If you’re not finding monkeys in taiwan, you just aren’t trying hard enough. :wink:

[quote=“derek1978”]Seriously…I do!

Last time…actually both times I was in Taiwan, I had no such luck. Went all over too…from Kending to Bali and pretty much everywhere in between…no monkeys! :frowning:

So, where would one find monkeys in the wild in Taiwan? And I don’t mean Taipei Zoo :raspberry:[/quote]

Up in the hills above where I live you can see monkeys at a park stop.

You’re not supposed to feed them. Not that the locals bothers to read the signs. They just say that the monkey’s didnt put those Don’t Feed the Wildlife signs up.

No one has mentioned the big one in Fuxing North Road?

[quote=“Muzha Man”]You’re going to be living in Kaohsiung soon. Chaishan Park just on the edge of the city is loaded with them. They get pretty aggressive.
[/quote]That’s near where I live. Often referred to as “Monkey Mountain”. Loads of them there. They can be aggressive, especially if you have a back pack or a bag of some kind. More so if you have food. I must say though if you do not mess with them or start feeding them, there’s little to worry about. There’s always a ton of people up there and the monkeys are quite used to that. I once had a little one on my lap.

Pic taken in Kaohsiung.

bobepine

[quote=“bobepine”][quote=“Muzha Man”]You’re going to be living in Kaohsiung soon. Chaishan Park just on the edge of the city is loaded with them. They get pretty aggressive.
[/quote]That’s near where I live. Often referred to as “Monkey Mountain”. Loads of them there. They can be aggressive, especially if you have a back pack or a bag of some kind. More so if you have food. I must say though if you do not mess with them or start feeding them, there’s little to worry about. There’s always a ton of people up there and the monkeys are quite used to that. I once had a little one on my lap.

Pic taken in Kaohsiung.

bobepine[/quote]

Nice pic. Is the monkey standing behind you? :stuck_out_tongue:

Geez! Can’t you tell that’s a girl? :raspberry:

bobepine

You can see loads of monkeys on Monkey Mountain in Kaohsiung (as said by previous posters) - you just have to go to the right part of it though. There are always loads of people where the monkeys are, and the monkeys have no fear of people whatsoever - which is a bad thing. One came and sat next to me (like right next to me on the bench) - and I didn’t have food or a backpack, on anything that would otherwise have enticed it. My friend saw some guy trying to kidnap a baby monkey when she was at the mountain, apparently the poor thing was screaming its lungs out while this ruffian was trying to get a chain around its neck and shove it into a sack :fume: :fume: , but it got away when she shouted at him. He then threatened (in English) to kill her, and followed her for quite a while down the mountain, repeating this threat and cursing at her in Taiwanese. Unfortunately, she was alone, and nobody tried to help her or stop this thug, but she eventually just bolted and ran away from him. :frowning: I guess he went back to find another monkey to steal.

Relax, it’s about 10 after 1, SuchAFob should be getting up any time now…
http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=43041&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=chimp&&start=0

Just photographed these guys on Wednesday on the road up to Tatajia (in Yushan National Park).