More MSG please

It makes my fur shiny :raccoon:

1 Like

The aforementioned scam aside (which appears to be some kind of urban legend, apparently), the first actual clinical debunkers pretty much said that any of the reported systems could be written off to overdoing sugar, salt, and/or oil at a single sitting.

It seems even tests done at much higher doses with just water and no food doesnā€™t do anything to people who claim the side effects.

1 Like

Thatā€™s two studies (by who and for what purpose), out of probably hundreds, summed up by a BBC reporter, Bianca Nogrady, from a one sided perspective, without offering any research of alternative perspectives.

Too much of anything will cause a reaction, even water.

I agree. In the Philippines they slather everything in MSG (ā€œMagic Sarapā€) and as a result they canā€™t taste anything except huge in-your-face flavours. Hong Kong food, although an order of magnitude better than food in the Philippines, does all taste a bit same-same. Itā€™s one of my least favourite variants of Chinese food, and it seems to be the one thatā€™s most reliant on MSG.

Iā€™ve noticed Taiwanese cuisine uses little or no MSG except at the low end (bian dang shops etc).

MSG probably is harmless from a physiological perspective. But it sure does mess up the joy of eating.

I do a lot of Cantonese style cooking and almost never add MSG.

There may be a lot in the oyster sauce and some other often used sauces though.

But have a good idea on how much is too much. And we know what happens when thatā€™s happens. Itā€™s also not something the average person can do normally.

What youā€™re saying is quite vague.

I never use MSG. I do use bullion powders/cubes and Iā€™m sure it contains some MSG.

Often on soy sauce dishes like ma po tofu I just mix soy sauce, sugar, and hot sauce and that does the job, no MSG needed. I donā€™t doubt that the hot sauce may contain some MSG.

I almost never add it by itself however.

And on vegetables, fermented tofu does wonder on flavor, and all you need is salt. Maybe fermented tofu contains some MSG too.

Instant noodles form a big part of the diet of the countryā€™s more than 20 million university students, and you certainly donā€™t hear any of them complaining about Chinese restaurant syndrome.

Nor do Italians complain about headaches after eating parmesan cheese (which tastes good because of the glutamates in it), Japanese donā€™t worry about eating too much seaweed or dried shrimp (ditto), and even in Britain you donā€™t often hear whining about adverse reactions to Marmite (ditto); you certainly donā€™t get warnings from your doctor about the dangers of human breast milk to babies (ditto).

The persistence of the Chinese restaurant syndrome myth is a symptom of the hypochondria that has become fashionable in contemporary Anglo-American culture, and the failure of our educational systems to teach people the difference between quackery and hard science.

4 Likes
1 Like

Thatā€™s just false. Iā€™ve known about it and advocated for msg for years.
Everyone I talk to knows about it

What study is this based on? All the research says that itā€™s not harmful

Hereā€™s one of the studies.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10736382/

I didnā€™t say itā€™s harmful and I still donā€™t say itā€™s harmful. But some people have a reaction. Not an allergic reaction. Just a reaction like you would have to an excessive amount of anything.

Everyone you know talks is about a prankster doctor making a fake statement in the 1960s? OK.

So everyone you know bases their understanding of MSG from that beginning? OK.

Interestingly, they only seem to have a reaction if they know theyā€™re eating it.
Psychosomatic.

3 Likes

People eat food and know MSG is in a lot of the food but get dry mouth because the cook put too much MSG in it.

MSG is in lots of food in Taiwan. When thereā€™s excessive amounts some might experience some reaction even a simple as dry mouth. And itā€™s not an allergic reaction. Itā€™s just a reaction to an excessive amount.

Similar to eating a dish with too much salt. The reaction is to stop eating it because you taste the salt. But you donā€™t taste MSG so you keeping it and then the reaction is dry mouth or whatever.

Yes, Chinese food syndrome. It was published and republished. It grew and thatā€™s the reason Chinese restaurants have no msg signs in the window. Thatā€™s a fact.

Thatā€™s not really based in science. Are you saying like everyone will have a reaction if they drink too much water? If so, itā€™s a bad argument

Thatā€™s exactly what the research shows.

And donā€™t get me started on these gluten sensitivity people

2 Likes