Mos Burger and food poisoning

I’ve been in a hospital for 2 days. Last Sunday morning I was ok, then ate lunch with my friends at a Mos Burger shop and 3 hours later me and my friends were feeling weak, feverish, sharp stomach pains, frequent diarrhea, and we went to the hospital. The doctors confirmed that was food poisoning. I’ve been taking antibiotics, strocain, pain killers and other medications.
This is the second time that I get food poisoning from Mos Burger. Six months ago I got my first food poisoning in another Mos Burger shop.
So please beware that the hygiene in the Mos Burger is really lacking. The government really needs to inspect the Mos Burger shops.

That sucks. Hope you feel better soon.

About two Saturdays ago, my wife took my three year old son to Mos burger for just some fries. He ate a few and then had stomach pains. He got home and was sick. Later that day we had heard that someone in Taizhong also had food poisoning from Mos burger, and that dodgy potatos were to blame. Hope your ok. I’ve been out of Taiwan for four years and have noticed that Mos burger seems less well maintained than before.

Was it the same MOS Burger or different ones? Could you share which locations so we don’t end up with the same fate?

I eat at MOS a couple times each year and have never experienced anything like this. Guess I’m lucky?

So sorry to hear that. Hope you have a speedy recovery with no lingering effects.

Yes, MOS Burger used to be a step higher in quality and cleanliness and ambiance over McD. Sad to hear it is now on par to KFC in terms of food poisoning danger.

Please do name.

ew… hope you’re feeling better now, but it wasn’t necessarily Mos Burger. Symptoms of food poisoning can take anywhere between a few hours and a few days to appear, depending if you’re reacting to toxins or to bacteria.

Realistically, it’s just a risk you take with eating out. Most establishments in Taiwan are a bit lacking in the hygiene department. As per the above posts, perhaps you could mention which store it was? Such things are usually caused by one particular fuckwit, rather than corporate policy in general.

You guys are weak. Sometimes I ask for a double-dose of salmonella and a healthy portion of Taiwan standard food fu*k ups. My body can’t live without it, anus can’t stand it.

I heard a while ago someone got sick from eating their fries, turns out it was old potatoes that had sprouted.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”]Was it the same MOS Burger or different ones? Could you share which locations so we don’t end up with the same fate?

I eat at MOS a couple times each year and have never experienced anything like this. Guess I’m lucky?[/quote]

Yes, let me mention here. This past Sunday I ate at the Mos Burger located in the Holiday Inn Express beside the Taichung Park. I got very sick afterwards.

Six months ago I ate at the Mos Burger located at Carrefour, in Qinhai Rd., it is a big Carrefour with lots of stores, Mr. Donut and Hot pot shops.
The other restaurant that I ate and got serious stomach problems to the point of being hospitalized was the Mongolian BBQ located at the Chung Teh Rd, all in Taichung. But in the Mongolian BBQ I ate those Chinese omelettes that contain oysters (so must be the non fresh seafood).

The Mos Burger I’m talking about is close to An He Road, Section 2. There’s a school called Lih Jen School, opposite that there’s a big Welcome. In the same lane as Welcome (running between An He Road and Dun Hua South Road, Section 2, there is a Mos Burger. It’s that one. It’s also next door to an IS Cafe.

It used to be quite clean. But the last time I went there, a few months ago, I saw a cockroach running up the wall. The tables were a bit sticky and the air quality was quite bad. My wife took my son there without me. It was just because he was asking for fries, and that Mos Burger is about 1 min away from where we live.

In my first 3 years in Taiwan I must have for food poisoning 4 times, it’s was really rough but then …nothing.
There was nothing left to defeat.
Seriously if you are new enough in town it increases the chance of getting food poisoning.

I was thinking about starting a thread like this yesterday, as my son and I also had food poisoning from something. I’ve lived in Taiwan for 10 years and have had food poisoning at least 7 times.

You should eat at the night market and roadside stalls more. That will strengthen your gut and immune system so that even if a germ were to get by the MOS defensive perimeter, it would not bother you one bit.

Dunno. I come from Latin America and I can eat street food in India. I have had only two bouts of food poisoning and they were never from stalls, but rather restaurants.

I’m told that Mos had some thick cut fries made from potatoes that had sprouted and were green and thus toxic. Someone I know saw a truck marked “McCain’s” pulling up at a Mos to supply them, which is quite likely, given that McCain’s is the biggest supplier of pre-made, frozen potato products here, including to all the major burger chains and to supermarkets for frozen fries and hash browns. So McCain’s might be the source. The toxic ones have reportedly been pulled from the shelves. It’s not necessarily a case of inadequate hygiene at Mos per se.

Here is more info on potato plant poisoning: health.nytimes.com/health/guides … rview.html If you grow your own, don’t eat the young green stuff or any that have turned green.

Apparently it was the thicker, wedge fries not the French fries, and as soon as they found out about it, they sent an order to all stores to stop serving wedge fries. IMO, that is what I want to see from a food company - not trying to hide it, not delaying but taking immediate steps to protect consumers. :thumbsup:

Doesnt surprise me the supplier is a well known brand, the bigger they are the sharper their practises

I’m told that Mos had some thick cut fries made from potatoes that had sprouted and were green and thus toxic. Someone I know saw a truck marked “McCain’s” pulling up at a Mos to supply them, which is quite likely, given that McCain’s is the biggest supplier of pre-made, frozen potato products here, including to all the major burger chains and to supermarkets for frozen fries and hash browns. So McCain’s might be the source. The toxic ones have reportedly been pulled from the shelves. It’s not necessarily a case of inadequate hygiene at Mos per se.

Here is more info on potato plant poisoning: health.nytimes.com/health/guides … rview.html If you grow your own, don’t eat the young green stuff or any that have turned green.[/quote]

Thank you for the article. Last Sunday I ordered a plain non spicy cheeseburger, french fries and iced black tea. I ate nothing else afterwards, and got sick, weak, stomach cramps, diarrhea, then fever.
Today I am feeling much better, and I am sending this article link to all my classmates and warn them about the food.

I eat in lots of places, dingy eateries, noodle shops, night markets, fast foods, I never got sick from their foods. But at Mos Burger, this is the 2nd time that I get food poisoning from their food, so I am blowing the horn against them at my school, I also made some posters with the article and I am going to paste in some public places.

I don’t know what goes on behind the scene but given the apparent lack of hygiene at street stalls and noodle places I’ve never gotten sick from eating there. In fact the time I got food poisoning in Taiwan was my fault (like eating improperly cooked chicken that I cooked myself). I think much of the time food poisoning is caused by eating spoiled or improperly cooked food, so even apparent cleanliness doesn’t necessarily mean you won’t get food poisoning. Fast food restaurants usually use pre processed foods so you really don’t know what they do in those factories, while street stalls generally get their supplies from traditional markets, and their foods are usually very fresh. Also street stall people have often been in the business for decades while fast food restaurants are typically run by adolescent/student types with limited experience… so I guess that could be the issue.

I would have been surprised if MOS used fresh spuds … but on another note … I’ve been told by a friend that works for a Subway frenchisee with multiple stores that they were cutting back on fresh vegetables quality and frequency of critter extermination … hundreds of roaches creeping around … rats roaming the kitchen. Slower business needs cost cutting somewhere … strange that Subway does not check their frenchise stores … oh, and not keeping their fridges at the right temperature to save on electricity and delaying reparation on them even when needed …

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4