Mosquito deterrent scented sachet

I’ve been looking for one of these ever since I saw it hanging in the foyer of a friend’s apartment. They smell strongly of herbs. I still can’t seem to figure out how the mosquitoes are getting in (and out? sometimes I can’t ever find them again after encountering them once…why is this), but in the meantime I’d like to have one of these sachets on hand.

Where to cop? Also happily taking suggestions for other tolerable mosquito deterrent methods…

They sell a mosquito deterrent at Costco, but not exactly a sachet of herbs. More like a plastic card.

Strong liquor smells seem to work well, though this is based purely on observation. Every time I run the still and fill some casks, my place is mosquito free for weeks.

Buy the japanese one that looks like a level, with a clear golden liquid drop in the middle. They have a Hello Kitty one with rose scent. But overall, it is the best. Hang one by the windows and one in the bathroom. Better not in your room, as anything chemical tends to be unhealthy. If you want to be organic, get the citronella thinghie.

P_20190220_100544_vHDR_Auto

there’s a couple of those on my bus, should i loot them for you?

I have one of them in my computer room but can’t remember whete i got it, i’llask my wife see if she remembers.

Hmmm…do you by chance have a photo? And where did you buy this?

Those do look to be about the same as what I’m looking for. This is the photo I have:

The one in my room looks exactly like that, withplenty of dry herbs and flowers inside.
We also have scented wood sticks that serve the same purpose.

I think these could be ideal for the bedroom since they aren’t a chemical style deterrent, although the scent is a bit powerful. Don’t forget to ask your wife for me!

you can buy a plug from the supermarket, and screw in an anti mosquito liquid. works great. i put it in at night so the little bastards can’t disturb my sleep. no need to use it in the day. i get more joy out of hunting them down with the mosquito racket and frying the shit out of them.

2 Likes

I’ll let you know when she replies!
The sticks are nice too, they are basically soaked in water that is infused with flowers, so the wood absorbs the scent and keeps it for very long.

On the subject of this, how do these scent/vapor/smoke type deterrents work, exactly? I know some of them function by disturbing the mosquito’s ability to detect carbon dioxide. But are there any deterrents that stun or kill them directly? I imagine if they do they’re none too good for the human inhabitants, either, though…

I use concentrated citronella oil - you can get some organic stuff from a Neils Yard outlet in 101 but it’s available from local shops too.

Nothing bites me

its just the typical mosquito repellent stuff isn’t it? although the smell isn’t too bad, its not near by bed anyway. i never smell it. they don’t die from it although sometimes i think they can’t escape the house and just drop dead or suicide. which is fair enough they are going to die one way or another if they choose to stay in my house.

I find citronella’s scent a bit too strong for regular use. I use it when I’m going hiking or doing something else outdoorsy, though.

Yeah - I’m like a walking bunch of lemongrass in the morning. I have watched mozzies fly up to me and then double back in shock.
On the bus I have had the occasional quizzical look but no-ones moved seats away from me.

Better than smelling of milk I guess :grin:

My bag was bought in the middle of nowhere, but you can buy them on Ruten: 中藥防蚊包

A few options to chose from!

1 Like

This is just to say…these things work like a charm.

My cousin ordered several and gave me three. I put one in the bedroom, one in a basket under the coffee table, and hung the third one on the outside doorknob of my front door.

I used to see 1-2 mosquitos a day in my house. Now I only see 2-3 a week! Amazing. And chemical-free. I recommend them to everyone.

1 Like