Mosquito net air conditoner

Anyone tried such a thing? It’s basically a very small AC unit that cools the volume occupied by a mosquito net.

Basically instead of cooling an entire room, you cool just the area you sleep in.

It should save electricity… does it save a lot of electricity?

Like those ones that are battery operated for tents and such. Supposedly they contain a 1kwh battery and it runs for 8 hours on a charge.

If so that could really cut my summer energy usage down to nothing.

1 Like

Sounds interesting. What prevents the cooled air from escaping the net?
Is there a heater version?

Probably not a lot, but the idea is use very small AC units that draws maybe a few hundred watts rather than thousands. Better if it can run on batteries, meaning you can still sleep if there’s a power outage during the summer.

If it draws a couple of hundred watts it can run nonstop for all I care and the electric bill will still be really low, instead of say a 2 ton AC running nonstop to keep a large room cool. It’s really wasteful if you think about it.

But if heat and mass transfer is gradually occurring across the net, which it will be because it’s a net, you’re ultimately going to be trying to cool the entire room anyway*, using a small unit that isn’t capable of doing that, in which case wouldn’t you get the same result from just running a regular AC on a higher temperature setting that uses less energy?

You seem to expend a lot of energy (mental, not electrical) on trying to minimize your use of AC and the associated electricity cost. Don’t you think it might be more productive at some point to try and increase your income so this isn’t a concern? My last electricity bill was NT$2657, covering mid-June to mid-August I think, so less than 8 hours of minimum wage work per month, and that was with working from home and having at least one AC unit on at 23–25°C probably an average of 20+ hours per day. It’s really pretty cheap.

How often are you experiencing power outages in the summer anyway? I remember one, possibly two, in the four years I’ve lived in this apartment (not including the time I forgot to pay my electricity bill).

(* Also, isn’t a small unit like that just going to be venting the heat inside the rest of the room anyway?)

Sounds as fake as those ‘personal air conditioners’ you see people wearing around their neck.

Not fake.

These have compressors and all that. It’s an AC unit.

But they’re a lot smaller than ones for rooms, presumably so they can run on batteries. If you cook just about a couple of cubic meter of space around your bed, instead of say about 50 cubic meter of your room, it’s going to require a lot less energy, and therefore electricity.

And the heat and mass transfer? Are you intending to wrap your mosquito net in insulating foam and plastic…?

You’re probably going to open all doors in windows to your room, but if your personal AC draws about as much as a fridge, who cares if it runs nearly continuously?

And you’re going to have a tent of some kind over the bed to stop air from leaking out. That’s half the battle. It’s not going to be super efficient but it doesn’t need to be, but my understanding with those battery powered AC is that they tend to be inverter, and so they are going to have much better efficiency compared to window units.

if its stopping air from getting out the other half the battle will be CO2

1 Like

Then the real point, in addition to the smaller volume, is using an inherently more modern and efficient AC unit?

I don’t see how you’re going to minimize the heat/mass transfer across the net in any kind of convenient/non-bizarre way, though I suppose it might be possible to establish some kind of equilibrium and cool the smaller volume (however leaky) more cheaply than cooling the entire room with a less efficient older unit.

It’d look pretty weird though…

And yeah, do try not to suffocate yourself TL…

It’s not going to be any less efficient than those tent AC units used for camping. I don’t think tents are good at blocking heat/mass transfers.

Didn’t say it was or they were, but you’re not living in a tent are you?

Well, until you install this weird thing to try and save a bit of money on electricity…