Mosquitoes -> very poor sleep (!)

“You’re no fun anymore!”

Outstanding :thumbsup: :bravo:

This is war, and you need the best weapon money can buy:

“There’s nothing more dangerous than a wounded mosquito!”

Hi,

I also was bothered by mosquitoes. I got a rectangular mosquito net from Daiso, which is on the lower level of Momo and beneath Ikea at Nanjing East Road. It was quite cheap at around NT$300 - if anyone can get one cheaper, good for you! CAD$10 was a good deal by my standards.

I used 3M hooks for the ceiling because I couldn’t / wouldn’t get a drill to mount the hooks that came with the mosquito net. You can find the 3M hooks in most stores, including the grocery chain Wellcome.

I also got a mosquito repellent fumagation system for inside my apartment. It helps somewhat but a physical barrier is best. For outside I use citronella.

Hope this helps somewhat. The skeeters are definitely a pest, but I agree that they can really interfere with your quality of life as well.

Cheers,

Rowena

I left my mosquito killer plugged in last night (not something I often do) and had the craziest dreams. Not pleasant crazy, scary crazy.

[quote=“thefool”]Hi,

I also was bothered by mosquitoes. I got a rectangular mosquito net from Daiso, which is on the lower level of Momo and beneath Ikea at Nanjing East Road. It was quite cheap at around NT$300 - if anyone can get one cheaper, good for you! CAD$10 was a good deal by my standards.

I used 3M hooks for the ceiling because I couldn’t / wouldn’t get a drill to mount the hooks that came with the mosquito net. You can find the 3M hooks in most stores, including the grocery chain Wellcome.

I also got a mosquito repellent fumagation system for inside my apartment. It helps somewhat but a physical barrier is best. For outside I use citronella.

Hope this helps somewhat. The skeeters are definitely a pest, but I agree that they can really interfere with your quality of life as well.

Cheers,

Rowena[/quote]
Cool, thanks for the reply. But a question, at Daiso for NT$300? I’d thought everything there is 39 …

3M hooks are also available in most stationery stores.

You mean, you use citronella oil lamps? Or candles? Or some other diffuser?
Outside I use a citronella spray from the US called Herbal Armor. Also have a little candle, not sure how effective it is.

A doorway net helped reduce the mosquitoes reaching my bedroom. It parts in the middle and seals automatically after you pass using magnets. You can find it online searching for 蚊門.

Those Raid or Combat plug in liquid mosquito devices really work great! Unfortunately, I’m a bit sensitive to the smell they give off so I wouldn’t use them in a closed room. I have your typical 4 floor Taiwan row house. I’ve found that one device in the center of my ground floor, and one in the stairwell of on the third floor (where there are two bedrooms that we use are) work great.

You turn that thing on, the mosquito start to act drunk in no time and in an hour they are gone. BTW- the pesticide bottles for both Raid and the Combat devices seem compatible. I’ve used both in my unit.

The electric bug zappers just gets clogged with mosquitoes and is a pain to clean.

They’re nothing more than a unit with heating elements to disperse the chemicals… not much to them.

Until December, I have a mosquito free apartment. Then, once the rain starts and the weather is cloudy, they swarm my apartment. This is despite the fact that it’s completely screened in and on the 13th floor of my building. Last Sunday, I electrocuted precisely 23. My solution is to get an extra blanket, wear socks, and sleep with a fan blowing on my head. This is the only way to sleep through the night. This being Taiwan, I’m sure you’re got plenty of fans. So, just turn them on and buy an extra blanket. It’s the only way to sleep through the night, bite-free, guaranteed.

[quote=“mups”]What’s the problem? Moskeets in yer ear. Solution: Cover your ears.

You could try a hoodie (plus one ear down, pillow on the other…works well if you can sleep like that), or ear plugs, or maybe a lightweight set of headphones (wireless usb?) - that way you could both block out the skeets and relax to some tunes. I’ve never tried ear plugs but I’d figure if you can get a really good pair they’d work. Headphones would definitely work assuming they’re not uncomfortable as you shift in sleep (I have a pair but they’re too big for sleeping).

Personally I don’t care if I get bit, it’s that noise in your ear that is torturous.[/quote]
Had 20 bites to the hands and (uncovered) face in the last day. You really would not mind that?
I can’t sleep right now because I (mistakenly) removed the tent from my bed. I still do not know their point of entry.
One just met with my nose, and then abruptly disappeared.

I am leaving Taiwan in under a month, and the mosquitoes in my apartment are a major reason.
One important suggestion for anyone considering moving here: before putting down 2 months’ rent, ask your landlord if your place is free of mosquitoes.

[quote=“Petrichor”]I’m pretty sure mozzies come up drains and sinkholes too. . . .[/quote] forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … 0#p1488730

Is it possible they’re coming up through your drain(s)? I’m just asking as a shot in the dark. When it comes to mosquito problems, I don’t personally know what I’m talking about, but I found these by googling mosquitoes “through the drain”:

This is from the U. S.:

[quote]I have an issue with mosquitoes in the shower. I was leaving the door to the shower closed all day initially and by shower timer there would be 20 to 30 mosquitoes chillin o n the walls.[/quote] homesteadingtoday.com/genera … hower.html

[quote]They are/were coming up through the drain!
I took a saucer and placed it over the drain hole. About three hours later I went in, and there were no mosquitoes on the walls anymore, so, I lifted up the saucer and there were about 10 of them sitting there under the saucer.[/quote] homesteadingtoday.com/genera … hower.html

This is from Thailand:

[quote]Our home is screen-tight, and doors diligently closed. Plus, every day we hunt for mosquitoes by shaking up the dark spaces where they hide in the day time, and electrocuting them by swatting with a battery charged racquet. It’s us versus them; the chirp sound of electrocuting a mosquito brings us pleasure.
Yet, we are not even close to eradicating them from our home. My lady suggests that they enter through the sewer line.[/quote] udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/post206348.html

[quote]yup I remember them mozzies come up thru the drainage hole in the bathroom floor, as it had no U Turn, the water just drained out into a concrete channel outside beside the house, where the buggers used to live, and would obviously use the pipe to access the bathroom…[/quote] udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/post206348.html

This is from Singapore (an ad for a drain-blocking device):

[quote]lt helps to block the path for mosquitoes, cockroaches, centipedes from passing through the drain pipes into your vicinity.[/quote] singardo.com.sg/images/brands/Pest_Valve.pdf

If they come in through the drain, how do they get through the water trap?

And earplugs to prevent that annoying ear buzzing.

I don’t know. I’m pretty ignorant about plumbing. Does everyone have a water trap?

This Taiwan company sells an “Anti-Odor/Mosquito Floor Drain W/Flood Guard”:

cens.com/ishow/y/yupinshi/pr … 04210.html

So I guess it’s a problem for some people.

I don’t know. I’m pretty ignorant about plumbing. Does everyone have a water trap?[/quote]
They’re standard, and if you don’t have one, or the water has dried of it, you’ll soon notice the smell of sewer gas in your house.

For this reason I always make sure any floor drains in the apartment are regularly filled with water.

Still, mosquitoes have been getting in somehow! I zapped about 10 of them last night with my mosquito tennis racket, but was still bothered at night. I found two blood-filled mosquitoes this morning and zapped them.

Old style UV bug zappers do NOT work on skeeters at all–mosquitoes are primarily attracted to the CO2 you breath out and the smell of your body, NOT light.

Plug in Raid/Combat poison or coils or spray will kill them or drive them away but it stinks and can’t be great for your lungs either.

Just get a mosquito net. Problem solved.

Problem solved. Found their entrance point.
It wasn’t at all obvious to someone accustomed to more solid Western construction … There was a small crack between an interior (non-structural) wall and the ceiling. Stuffed it with paper, and they’ve been gone since I killed the last of them a few days ago. What this means is they were entering (perhaps living in?) the inside of the building, between the rooftop and the rooms of the top floor. No more sleeping with a fan over the bed!

Really glad for you. So I guess the jumping jacks didn’t do the trick. :wink:

Come to think of it, that’s how cockroaches can get into an apartment too. They crawl up the pipe shaft from the basement. Since there’s usually an opening to the pipe shaft for maintenance work, they just come into the apartment through that opening. The thing to do is block up the opening.