Mosquitoes -> very poor sleep (!)

[quote=“Incubus”]Really glad for you. So I guess the jumping jacks didn’t do the trick. :wink:

Come to think of it, that’s how cockroaches can get into an apartment too. They crawl up the pipe shaft from the basement. Since there’s usually an opening to the pipe shaft for maintenance work, they just come into the apartment through that opening. The thing to do is block up the opening.[/quote]

We had cockroaches getting in through the fans in the bathroom ceilings. Put a wire mesh on the inside. Problem solved.

I don’t know. I’m pretty ignorant about plumbing. Does everyone have a water trap?[/quote]
They’re standard, and if you don’t have one, or the water has dried of it, you’ll soon notice the smell of sewer gas in your house.
[/quote]

Sounds like an ideal breeding pool

Sorry for the grave dig but, can someone tell me why there are mosquitoes flying around in late autumn?! Driving me nuts.

Die, you pests!!!

And no, waving a racket does not conduce to calm sleep.

3 Likes

Since going back home i have really noticed the difference in mosquitos here vs the ones in taiwan. Here they are comically easy to kill. In taiwan they are vengeful buzzing death hoverers.

3 Likes

Yes I was just commenting on that. Mosquitos here in Taiwan are more…evolved. More evasive and also are less greedy about how long they bite. They seem to favor a quick hit and run over just mindlessly latching on - hoping you will not notice.

They also seem to be more resilient to colder temperatures than back home. Amazing how much better they are at being a pain in the ass here, really.

3 Likes

They can be relentless too. I woke up earlier in the year (after my anti mosquito scent thingy ran out) with like 10 + bite marks all over me, no exaggeration.

1 Like

Go to Ikea and buy a mosquito-net ca. 550 NTD.
I am surprised so many here opt for other options.

Eh sorry can’t. Cats.

Any other options?

What makes (2/3) cats happy and repels mosquitoes? There’s your answer.

I find the mosquitoes differ city to city. The pingdong ones are large and slow, and easy to find and kill.

The Kaohsiung ones are the worst, smaller and they buzz your ear once they are done feasting on you. This mosquito is relentless if you happen to stand outside at night.

The Taichung mosquito is silent, after it bites it takes off without making a sound. Interestingly enough for me the Taichung mosquito doesn’t leave welts or lumps after biting, whereas with the Kaohsiung mosquito I get a horrible skin reaction. I find the Taichung mosquito doesn’t seem to swarm me at night like the Kaohsiung one.

Mosquito nets smell, I can smell their off chemical smell all night.
Chemical plug ins may kill the mosquitoes, does one really want to be inhaling some nerve agent for 8 hours every night in perpetuity?
Those herbal bundles are almost certainly doused in something toxic, see point above. Truly herbal solutions almost never work, for anything.
Getting up to play tennis every hour, as suggested at the top of this thread is a great way to lose your sanity.

There is no solution.

2 Likes

As a kid we used to rub lemongrass oil (mixed with a carrier oil) on our skin to ward mosquitoes off when we were going camping. Don’t remember if it worked and don’t know if it’d work with Taiwanese mosquitoes (it’s been showed to have some effect against stable flies tho), but it’s worth a try, as long as you’re not bothered by the smell of it.

Catnip?

Yes

getting a place with good nets on the window helps too. My new place doesn’t have them and there’s just a constant flow of the buggers.