Most Frightening Experience

Much worse than that is the fact that you have to abstain from the grog when you are on flagyl.

I was once crook as a dog back home in New Zealand. The doctor rang with the test results. Bloody hepatitis!!! I was looking at six months without grog!!! :astonished: :astonished:
Luckily, it was a mistake, and he later called back to say it was just malaria. Never been so bloody relieved in my life. :sunglasses:

Just malaria?
You mean you can get shitfaced while on malaria medicine? Does it stay down? (The beer, that is.)

Wolf,

Yes, I was able to down - relatively small quantities mind you - of beer whilst I was on the malaria medication. The medication knocks the hell out of you - in many ways as bad as the bloody malaria itself.

My previous post was not an exageration; My God, I can remember it as clear as if it were yesterday, the sheer feeling of horror at looking at six months of hell, and the unbridled joy of finding out I just had malaria.

I’ve had five separate bouts of malaria (1989-1992), twice of the celebral kind. Can’t be certain of course, but I think it fried my brains a little - I have quite big chunks of my life which are a blank memory-wise. Anyway, no complaints. Nearly two million people die from malaria every year . Seeing as the vast majority of those poor buggers are darkies, it doesn’t seem to be much a priority.

Hey, I caught Guardia in Bolivia. Ruined my whole trip there. Local Shamanic medicine fixed it. It took about 3 weeks to recover. I found out later that I could have died.
d

Woooh. Dude. Totally cool… totally tribal … yeah…

“Guardia” Isn’t that airport in New York, not Bolivia?

“Shamanic medicine” What exactly was this? Did it involve some half-naked native high on the local weed jumping around whilst chanting and spitting? Did he assume animal form?

I think you would enjoy Forumosa’s “van gogh club”.

You said you could have died. From what exactly?

1993, Croatia, Former Yugoslavia. United Nations Peacekeeping Force. (UNPROFOR)
I had just arrived in Croatia about 6:00 that night and suffenring from jet lag and overexcitment I finally went to bed at 11:00. Not yet in a war zone for 6 hours.

12:00!!! “STAND TO!! A platoon’s patrol is being shot at. STAND TO!!!”
Was the alarm. “Jesus, 6 hours in the country and we’re getting shot at. Shit.”

We got into the APC’s and high tailed it to the scene of the crime. Now that’s not so bad. No one was shot. There were 30 of us fully armed. C-7’s(M-16’s). 50 Cals, Grenades, Karl Gustaves (AKA Bazooka)…the works. “Who is going to mess with us?” I thought.

The potrol commander came over to my Sgt. and told him that the shots came form that house. It has been cordoned off and needed to be cleared.

Well Shit…who gets to go? Bootle, Celeste, Ski, and Walsh. Clear the top floor and the Barn!

“Clear the top floor? Hey wait they just shot at the patrol form there. Oh shit…this is it” I thought. “Cock your weapons and don’t put it on safe.”

So in we wen’t first was the second floor. The only access was from a homemade ladder through a window located between the barn and the house. That’s all I think I need to say about that…

“6 Freaken hours and I’m in the shit.” I remember thinking.

Now if you have ever been in this situation you will know the feeling…especially the first time. Some one has a gun…guns are used to kill people…it’s a war…they want to kill us…

Not a pleasant moment.

Ski

1. Falling Asleep at the wheel and rolling my car into a ravine at 75mph/120kph. Sliding on my car’s roof for 500 feet before coming to a stop. The view out the windshield is dirt rushing by really fast. Luckily, I was driving a 1980 Volvo, the kind you would swear is armored or something. I walked away from that one unscathed.

2. Doing a spirited mountain drive with some fellow car club members. While taking the line around the corner, the right rear tire hits a chunk of loose asphalt, throwing the tail around. Since the car was a mid-engined car, once you lose it, it’s really hard to recover. Tried to catch it, but the car fishtailed, and shot across the road into oncoming lanes, and into the side of a mountain. The soil at the base of the mountain was soft, and sloped upwards, so the rim and tire took the entire blow, and the body was undamaged. Walked away, and the car suffered only a scratched rim. Had it been a section of road where there was a dropoff, I would not have been so lucky.

3. Towards the end of my second month in Taiwan, one night, I have pains in my stomach that I couldn’t sleep off. At 3AM, I took a cab to the only hospital I knew of at the time, and I only knew about it because it was next to the friend’s house where I had stayed when I first arrived. Emergency room doctor sent me home with some medicine, thinking I have indigestion. 2 hours later, in even more pain, and feeling nauseous, take a cab back to the hospital. Doctor tries to send me back home with more medicine, but I insist on waiting in the ER. Puked my guts out in the ER, so they sedate me, and in the morning, the doctor orders the scan where they stick the camera down your throat. He finds a stomach ulcer in advanced stages, and I am admitted to the hospital immediately. Heavily sedated, I’m not quite aware of what’s going on.

4. Getting lost at 2AM trying to find the freeway after leaving my friend’s house in DaShi. Going down dark mountain roads, and going through this town that had old architechture that looked straight out of an old Chinese period movie really spooked me out. While I don’t really believe in stuff like that, my co-workers had told me enough ghost stories of people getting lost, then going through towns that later they find out don’t exist, or seeing buildings that supposedly were torn down ages ago, etc.