Most Offensive or Amusing Store name in Taiwan

I was waiting for my breakfast yesterday and I flipped through a copy of the Apple Daily newspaper. Anyways, I happened to look at the fashion section and saw that one of the clothing sponsors was a store called MOTHER FUCKER. If you don’t believe me please call them at 02 23757518. I wonder why they chose this name?

Andy

I’ve always thought that the beauty salon called “Hair Box” was particularly image-provoking. :shock:

You can imagine some interesting exchanges like:

A:Hey I like your new dress - where’d you get it?
B:At that new store down town, Mother Fucker.
A:Bite me!
B: What do’you say, ass hole?
etc…

I wonder what kind of clothes they sell.

In Tainan, on the big Haian Road strip, there is a FUCK Bar. Maybe sometime I’ll go in for a…drink.

In Taichung, off in one of the alleys close to the train station, there is a Fuck Tea.

angelfire.com/mt/mondotaiwan … ucktea.JPG

FCUK - not a spelling error but obvioulsy easily mistaken

I was amused by the bar named hard kokin Hua Hin Thailand.

[quote=“Grasshopper”]I was waiting for my breakfast yesterday and I flipped through a copy of the Apple Daily newspaper. Anyways, I happened to look at the fashion section and saw that one of the clothing sponsors was a store called MOTHER FUCKER. If you don’t believe me please call them at 02 23757518. I wonder why they chose this name?

Andy[/quote]

MOTHER FUCKER is located around the corner from Cosi-o-Cosi (first lane south of Cosi off Tunhua). It sells funky clothing. I think the store owners also promote or host punk rock shows somewhere in Taipei.

Wanko

[quote=“Grasshopper”]I was waiting for my breakfast yesterday and I flipped through a copy of the Apple Daily newspaper. Anyways, I happened to look at the fashion section and saw that one of the clothing sponsors was a store called MOTHER FUCKER. If you don’t believe me please call them at 02 23757518. I wonder why they chose this name?

Andy[/quote]

I’ve seen that store before. I had to do a double take when I saw it the first time! :astonished:

The Chinese aproximates the English sound of Mother Fucker. I was hoping they’d transate it and see how long it would last.

HG

The beauty salon called “Hair Box.”

Anybody remember the Fuck Disco Pub in Taichung a few years back? Now that was something I never expected to see in meter-tall neon. I stopped in to get a name card - the Chinese name was “hua ke.” The girl at the counter told me she was puzzled that so many foreigners would show up but not come in - just stood outside posing for pictures.

Well, personally, I think “Fuck Disco” is a great name for a pub. My sentiments, exactly… :wink:

Agreed, but “Fuck Pub” is definitely going too far…

Agreed, but “Fuck Pub” is definitely going too far…[/quote]

WTF? And there was or still a FUCK TEA shop in Taichung. I wonder if the people using it on these signs know that AND HERE I QUOTE fuck’s first known occurrence, in code because of its unacceptability, is in a poem composed in a mixture of Latin and English sometime before 1500.

The poem, which satirizes the Carmelite friars of Cambridge, England, takes its title, “Flen flyys,” from the first words of its opening line, “Flen, flyys, and freris,” that is, “fleas, flies, and friars.”

The line that contains fuck reads “Non sunt in coeli, quia gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk.” The Latin words “Non sunt in coeli, quia,” mean “they [the friars] are not in heaven, since.”

The code “gxddbov xxkxzt pg ifmk” is easily broken by simply substituting the preceding letter in the alphabet, keeping in mind differences in the alphabet and in spelling between then and now: i was then used for both i and j; v was used for both u and v; and vv was used for w. This yields “fvccant [a fake Latin form] vvivys of heli.”

The whole thus reads in translation: “They are not in heaven because they fuck wives of Ely [a town near Cambridge].”

Some people also say it stands for “'FELONIOUS unlawful carnal knowledge”. I doubt it.

Apparently, in Taiwan, among school kids, giving the finger to foreigners, it also means HELLO! They learn that for the Hollywood movies they see. Figure go.

They named it Mother Fucker because of all the free advertising they would get because of it. And if you go there once you’ll always remember it. Do you remember the names of any other little hole-in-the-wall clothing stores you’ve been to?

Scatland, in Panciao. A wedding dress shop.

Sounds like the tailor shop that used to be up on Chung Shan North Road during the Vietnam War era . . . . . . . . the sign maker had miscalculated the width of the shop front, and so he had to chop the last two letters off of the English language sign . . . . . . what the heck, he figured . . . . . . the English speaking crowd will probably understand it anyway . . . . . . so there it was on the front of the shop in giant neon brillance:

HIGH CLASS TAIL

Actually, that’s a British store. You can find FCUK’s all over London. They play with the name too. Stands for French Connection UK.

Last night on my way back from Shihlin, I spotted a store called A-Hole Software.

I’ve always thought TVBS was a apt name for that station.