MOTC to tighten electric bicycle rules!

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]What about age restrictions. There are a number of “youngish” international students attending Jr. colleges here. Having motorized wheels makes it easier to get around in a city like K-town.
Even in New Jersey, a gas powered moped was available to thirteen year-olds. Isn’t 18 a bit too old for let’s say a 50 CC scooter?

Of course, NJ was learning permit at 16 1/2 and if you went to driver’s ed you could be licensed at 17.

Bike rules in Jersey

state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Mopeds.htm[/quote]

And when you would try at that age to drive a car, or even a scooter, moped in most other countries using your NJ license you’d get fined.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]

state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Mopeds.htm[/quote]

And when you would try at that age to drive a car, or even a scooter, moped in most other countries using your NJ license you’d get fined.[/quote]

And New Jersey has one of higher ages when it comes to driving. In Belgium, I guess that’s where you’re from, and even here. You can go anywhere with out a car. Even to many mountain villages. In the states! No car… No nothing! Your car is your life…
I can’t find an easy to read moped or motorcyle article. But I’m sure the age is much lower than Jersey. By the way… In a few states you can learn to drive a car at 14 and get a full license at 16 1/2 to 17

List of driving age by state for the US.
parentingteens.about.com/od/teen … -State.htm

Still, Belgian Pie, what would you consider to be the right age to tool around Kaohsiung on an electric powered bicycle by Giant. It still is a bicycle…

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]

state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/Mopeds.htm

And when you would try at that age to drive a car, or even a scooter, moped in most other countries using your NJ license you’d get fined.

And New Jersey has one of higher ages when it comes to driving. In Belgium, I guess that’s where you’re from, and even here. You can go anywhere with out a car. Even to many mountain villages. In the states! No car… No nothing! Your car is your life…
I can’t find an easy to read moped or motorcyle article. But I’m sure the age is much lower than Jersey. By the way… In a few states you can learn to drive a car at 14 and get a full license at 16 1/2 to 17

List of driving age by state for the US.
parentingteens.about.com/od/teen … -State.htm [/quote]

In Belgium, legal age for getting a 50cc license is 16 (speed has to be factory limited at either 25km/h or 45 km/h depending on the license). Car/motorcycle (limited kw) is 18 (you can start taking driving lessons from 17 and 9 months). Heavy motorcycle over (? kw) 20-21.

An electric assisted bicycle maybe 14-16, depending the power output, and licensed.

Max legal speed will be 25km fine-able and changes to increase speed are illegal.

They need to enforce helmet laws for the kids riding along with parents on electric bikes.

This just out today.

One Must and 2 No.

Must wear helmet.

No passengers.

No modifications.

What about all the family taking kids back and forth on their ebike?

8 Likes

Amin will have to find some other way to get communt with Ami!

6 Likes

well its good they chose those craptastic things as example for e-bikes that you see everywhere at tourist attractions in Taiwan. Cause they don’t ressemble much of a bicyle anyhow - plus many have several seats anyhow so that would exclude them from that rule. They are rather electric carriages.
Notice - you cannot pedal any of them! Usually you can still pedal a bit but limited by super low seat heights…

1 Like

I think these rules will be as followed as those for not carrying passengers on scooters… :sweat:

1 Like

New suggestions for electric bicycles *

And no plates, so it’s pretty hard to get a ticket.

1 Like

Are they? The ones I see in Taipei recklessly zoom around on sidewalks and beyond at high speeds . . . Some “regulation”!

Guy

1 Like

Speed Pedelecs, bicycles with a high power electric motor needs at least a car driver’s license in Belgium. Users increased 10x, accidents involving them x20.

I wonder why in Taiwan anyone can just ride it on the sidewalk.

In the Netherlands:

"Now that the electric bicycle has become familiar in the Netherlands, it is time for something new: speed pedelecs. These extremely fast e-bikes reach velocities of no less than 45 km/h. Because of this, you have to follow different traffic rules than with a normal e-bike – the speed pedelecs belong to the moped category. More and more people use the speed pedelec as an alternative to the car or public transport. Due to its high velocities and optimal comfort, it is ideal for commuting.’

" Speed pedelec regulations

Due to the high velocities of a speed pedelec, different rules apply than on a normal 25 km/h e-bike.

The following rules must be taken into account:

Speed :
The maximum speed on the speed pedelec differs per road type:

• Lane = 45 km/h
  • (Moped) cycle path within built-up areas = 30 km/h
  • (Moped) cycle path outside built-up areas = 40 km/h

Helmet requirement :
Wearing a helmet is mandatory for speed pedelec users while riding. The helmet must be officially approved as suitable for mopeds.

It is legally required in the Netherlands to register your speed pedelec with RDW.

Mirror :
The speed pedelec must be equipped with a rear view mirror.

The minimum age for riding a speed pedelec is 16 years. In addition, riders must be in possession of a moped driving license (type AM).

License plate :
A moped license plate is required on the back of the speed pedelec. Users must also carry the registration certificate at all times when cycling.

Insurance :
Liability insurance is compulsory for the user when purchasing a speed pedelec."

1 Like

Plus another humiliation for migrant workers.

6 Likes

Not really, these bikes have gotten stupid, I see then all the time going over the bridge between Kaohsiung and Pingtung doing 70+. I was talking to a guy in a cafe the other day he was saying he uses his on the fast setting, which is about 90, the sports setting is 120 but kills the battery.

All this without a licence or insurance mixed in with other road users.

5 Likes

Should require lights and licenses also, those things are hazards on already hazardous roads

5 Likes

Well, it is a bit unfair that only they need employer consent. Do you?

4 Likes

Like kids in school. Or like slaves asking their masters for permission for everything.

6 Likes

Not cool.

Guy

3 Likes

The employer is liable, if the employee has an accident and then goes missing, like a parent would be liable for a child and I’m liable if I have an accident.
So yes I think it’s fair that they need a letter from the person who is liable to show they have accepted responsibility.

There should be an insurance clause where if you take out insurance you don’t need a letter from the boss and the licence is then connected to the insurance.

1 Like

They are sponsored by the employer to get the work permit, it’s what they agree too. The same in a lot of other countries, even the uk if you have a sponsored work visa.
The employer takes responsibility for you so you can get the visa.