MOTC to tighten electric bicycle rules!

Migrant workers need permission to get an electric bicycle?

3 Likes

I don’t know the rules for them there.

@TT edit: (to add as I was outside).

If I have finical obligations to cover someones dept, I would hope they would need my consent before taking on something that increases the risk. An accident in Taiwan becomes a dept without proper insurance, hence my suggestion above.

In the uk if you’re on a sponsored work permit and you have a valid licence, if you want to bring your insurance down from astronomical, to outrageous you will need a letter from your boss or a guarantor to sign. (going on someone else’s insurance means they take responsibility, so thats another way).

Then why white collar workers here don’t need permission from their employer?

If migrant workers were allowed to buy scooters, there won’t be any of those electric bicycles on the streets here as the cost of a 2nd hand scooter is 差不多 the same, but yeah then the gov will not have any artificial “problems” to solve…

2 Likes

Visa type and restrictions put on the visa, when you accept your visa you accept the restrictions it has.

1 Like

I’m not against the electric bikes, i just think a lot of them are more powerful than a 50cc scooter, so the same restrictions should be put in place.

Migrant workers can get a scooter licence if they have a letter from their employer as above.

1 Like

1 Like

The other thing is now the city county national governments are providing e-bikes for use under youbike system.

So they establish these rules about things you can and cannot do and need a license to or not but you can just go rent one from the government under the youbike system and ignore these other rules because they’re the ones providing service.

2 Likes

I’ve started to see a ton of ayi’s riding these recently. Super annoying.

2 Likes

Taipei, old ayi’s. Annoying.

New Taipei, hot young ayi’s. Not as annoying as distracting.

2 Likes

While they are worried about some migrant workers riding around on an ebike they ignore all the red light runners, kids with no helmets, high speed drivers, aggressive and dangerous lane changes, the numerous drivers without a license or insurance.

I’m glad their priorities are in the right spot

9 Likes

It’s really up to local communities to implement the law.

The mothers and aunties and grandmothers running at high speeds down the sidewalk or maybe in the street with kids on their bike at crazy speeds is just sad.

I even think about saying something nicely but they’re just going too damn fast.

And if you dare not get out of the way fast enough they give stink eye lol.

1 Like

I have to admit I was surprised last weekend.

My girlfriend (Philippino) was telling me how she never knew what red and green lights mean. She would always just do what the other cars would do and go whenever it was clear…

It wasn’t until I paid for her to go to driving school (yes, I don’t want her riding without a license) that she actually learnt!

I would theorize that the Taiwan government knows this and forces them to get permission from their employer to purchase a scooter for this reason… Why can’t the government instead require you have a scooter license to purchase a scooter? It’s not that hard. I am sure most (if not all) of these migrant scooter riders would prefer a scooter anyway…

2 Likes

Are e-bikes that complain with EU regulation (no more than 250W, power limited to 25km/h, only while pedalling…) included in this “mini electric two-wheel vehicles” regulation?

1 Like

So what do you do if you bring an ebike with you on the plane?

I will take it you’re talking about a white plate scooter?
There are a few migrant workers near me who have them, form the couple of brief conversations its the same regulation. They can apply for a licence as long as the boss will take on the liability if they disappear. (the letter for the boss). Its been like this for a few years that i know of, it looks like they just copied the same rules.

Dont you need a explosives licence for that? :fire:

No I meant the crash happened on an ebike.

But migrant workers would in general love to own scooters if they were allowed. (The law doesn’t allow them unless they get permission from their employer)

You can remove the battery and declare it. But you’d need to confirm with the airline before time

I checked and it looks like the Wh limit would preclude most ebikes from being able to be taken with you on the plane. Sucks