Motor accident

Hi! Guys can you give some advice about my situation ? I was backriding to my friends motor when we were hit by other motorcycle .i got serious injury my arm’s broke.now i cant go to work almost 2months now,and the police report said its my friend’s fault because she didnt look left and right first in an intersection just drive continiously and we are not in main lane but she said although she dont look left and right she looked in the mirror infront because theres no traffic light in that road then she didnt notice there is a motor coming to our left side ,so we got hit … so i ask my friend (the driver) if she can compensate me for not the month im not going to work besides i always reminded her everytimee to look left and right before continue driver in an intersection. She said yes ill help you… but until now she dont give me any kind of help … how can i let her compensate me.

Whenever you accept a ride from a friend, you are accepting the risk of accident. Drivers have zero legal responsibility to their own private passengers in the event of an accident or injury.

I’m sorry this happened to you, but I’m afraid that your friend has no responsibility to compensate you.

Didn’t your friend have insurance at the time? This is something that her insurance should cover even if she was at fault.

Doesn’t compulsory insurance cover passengers?

Hospital bills, sure. I doubt they cover missed wages from missed work due to injury.

This is not true. Searching google for “pillion rider seeking compensation from driver” the answer is typically yes they are entitlec to compensation.

But its complicated by laws depending on where this happened. Was the rider insured is a good starting point to see if there was pillion coverage.

If not and if the OP wanted to persue it further they need expert advice i.e. a lawyer.

3 Likes

If not too late, ask for a police report to determine who was at fault and get a copy of that from the police. Then ask the person giving you a ride to compensate you and threaten legal action.

From google results, which is to say its in no way an expert opinion on Taiwan laws, the OP needs a lawyer for that.

In the world of insurance, the ‘first party’ is the driver who is insured; the ‘second party’ is the insurance company that provides the cover; and the ‘third party’ is any vehicle, property, or person who is involved in an accident or incident that is your fault .

So if this is true in Taiwan, the OP is third party, if I am not mistaken it is a legal requirement for all drivers to have 3rd party insurance.

If the OPs friend doesn’t have 3rd party insurance then the legal obligation to cover damages would seem to fall on the driver.

But once again, Im not familiar with Taiwan laws in this regard, to me it doesn’t sound complicated and it should be possible to get answers from a lawyer in a consultation.

Changed tags to legal, since this is more concerned with that aspect of matters than cars/motorcycles.

3 Likes

Thats one way to treat a friend who gave you a lift…

To the OP. If you always have to warn your friend about how she rides, why did you continue to take rides with her?

2 Likes