Motorcycle Fork Strip

Other lousy Japanese (universal?) motorcycle design feature got me. Stuck wee cross-head screws, in this case on the centrifugal oil cleaner cover, something I’m not comfortable using my excellent Japanese hit-it-with-a-big-hammer ATTACK DRIVAH (Torah, Torah, and Banzai) on.

Dont really want to get an electric one at this late stage in the game, but might have to.

do you mean these ones?

Just take your time and make sure you have a good fitting driver/ wrench bit

Just a bit of a heads up, check if its a JIS fit or you can end up stripping the head

1 Like

Probably JIS.
Since my impact driver is Japanese, its bits are probably JIS too.

Dunno how I’d confirm that, and not sure I could do anything about it here if it turned out not to be true.

I have a Vessel brand screwdriver I bought in Japan. Probably JIS, and generally works nicely, but too small for these, and I doubt a conventional hand-held screwdriver is up to this job anyway.

Many decades ago in The Yook I had a speed brace handle I used for this kind of thing, (I couldn’t get the cheapo Draper impact drivers I bought to work, though maybe I was doing it wrong). Speed brace allows one to apply inward pressure and rotation at the same time.

This kind of thing.

Got one in Ktown yesterday. Irritating purchasing experience, as Taiwan tool buying tends to be for me (no Chinese), and IMO overpriced, so I hope it works.

Is that a newspaper gasket in the upper picture? Whole new cheapskate scenario scene would open out, (if I ever replaced gaskets).

Lower link does some F-off Facebook jive so havn’t checked it. Dont do Facebook.

1 Like

Have you tried your local Showba store (or similar), you can often find these types of things in there (cheap ones but for one of jobs can be ok).

https://www.showba.com.tw

the photo was just grabbed from the net, I think a newspaper gasket would lead to a newspaper fire and more leeks :wink:

just press no thanks the FB pop up then can read the page, tells you how to recognise JIS with the dot

Doesn’t ring a bell, though from the number of locations they might be the ubiquitous “All-Night Hardware Stores”.

They used to be better for tools (and less uniform) than they are now, and I’d think that’s probably too obscure for them.

Pros probably would never use such a thing because they will be electrified, and there are no amateurs.

The one I got yesterday was obviously VERY old stock and unpriced, so the saleswoman “made up” a price while I watched. 350NT.

Should have picked a rustier one and attempted to negotiate. I can fix rust. Should also have tried the nicer tool shop (as opposed to the best tool shop_ but I was in a hurry.

Not sure I believe that. Never seen any dots on any cross-head screws that I recall, but my JIS screwdriver seems to work best on lots of them.

Bear in mind this is a Taiwanese rendition of a Japanese design. Dots might be a bit, how-you-say, ma fan.

they are normally the ones

you can always do a google maps search for 二手工具 (second hand tools)

not sure how far you are away from this place

Your close to Tainan area north Kaohsiung?
I will put a shout out to someone I know in the area who builds bikes, see if he knows some second hand tool markets.

Thanks. I’ll check that place out, though I may be coming to the end of my tool buying.

Might still get one of these cheapo 12V impact wrenches, though, if still available

Discussed a bit here

1 Like

Not a chance. Just chewed up the screw a bit more.

Closing it up again. Maybe later, if there is a later.

Checked with a hand lens and the impact bits that came with the Kokon Japanese driver are certainly Phillips. since they have PH1 and PH2 engraved on them, so I shouldn’t have used them. The ones that came with the other driver are not legibly marked.

I tried to buy extra bits at the time and couldn’t find any. I’ll have another look around.

Positive note: A lot of the junk I got out of the oil strainer (washed in alcohol and brake fluid, boiled and hypodermic squirted with water and detergent. Mostly now clear but was pretty clogged and may never have been cleaned) isn’t ferrous, though some of it is, and the wee Woodruffian thing appears to be non-magnetic, so probably wasn’t a Wooodruff, which is nice, though I dunno what it was.

This (unlike the centrifugal filter) is pretty easy to get to, and I believe most scooters have one too. Y’all should perhaps consider cleaning yours if you have one, since I’m betting it isn’t part of the standard Taiwan oil change service.

Yesterday I spent looking for a lost part. Steel top-hat thing that goes inside the bottom of the forks of my also defunct Yamaha RZR. Unlikely to be available as a spare.

Bit heavy and the wrong shape to roll, but its definately gone. I had left a slight gap under the roller door, for ventilation, so maybe I accidentally kicked it under.

Went outside to look for it and, sho nuff, theres a ROAD ROLLER. They are re-tarring the street.

Its like living a cartoon, sometimes.

Some belated pictures

Oil strainer before cleaning, which it needed

Dipstick with the end twisted off. Have NO CLUE how that could happen

Oil strainer after cleaning. The wee Woodruffian thing is non-magnetic so probably wasn’t one, though I dunno what it was.

Could be wrong dipstick (i.e. for another engine with a deeper sump).

I’ve done a few rebuilds and that Woodruffian thing looks very familiar. Can’t remember right off, perhaps it will come to me. You said it is steel though? Kind of looks plastic in the pic. :thinking:

Re wrong dipstick, doesn’t seem very likely, but it is a possible explanation, and one that could be tested.

I think the wee Woodruffian thing was probably a hard plastic, Bakelite stylee, which now I come to think on’t is the sort of material timing chain tensioners/guides are made of.

Another reason not to like OHC engines.

Dunno if I’ve still got it though, so may never know its parentage.

Just done an oil change on the GF’s scooter, first time she’s let me do that. Probably hoping I’ll screw it up and will have to buy her a new one.

Puzzled. Strainer absolutely debris free but a lot of bits in the plug that retains it. Might suggest theres something wrong with the oil circulation.

Looked to be only about half full. Not a big surprise since it has a slight leak and there doesn’t seem to be any provision for checking the oil level, or if there is I couldn’t find it.

Deeply dodgy (Yamaha!) design if true.