Motorcycle Helmets (Arai, Shoei)

Regarding Tony’s place, is that in Taipei or TaiChung? I don’t think I recognize any of the listed roads. My guess is it is TaiChung?

Any suggestions for good places in Taipei? I’d love to get a good deal and just get the helmet and jacket in one trip

Tony’s place, M.A.R.S racing… I stand corrected… is in Taichung…

There are a lot of places in Taipei that sell quality lids and gear now, but since I haven’t got any personal experience doing business with them, perhaps one of the Northern forumosans can help you out with a sugestion…

I’ve decided it’s time to get a new helmet. My head’s worth more than that piece of junk. Can anyone recommend good places for (quality) bike gear? I’m thinking I might upgrade my gloves too.

I guess this could be the wrong forum, mods please move if necessary.

Cheers

kamiwaza

What city do you live in?

I also have a question about helmets. It’s really silly, but a good health question nonetheless.

I see people riding around with the visorless helmets. Whenever I do this (as a passenger), all this dust flies into my eyes and they sting. How do those people ride around like that? I kind of figured after a while they become accustomed to it and it doesn’t bother them? Like opening your eyes under water? Sometimes I just wear my glasses to keep dust away but they still find a way into my eyes.

Do any of you ride without visors?

I do…Never could stand the things…I’ll wear sunglasses or goggles, with the visor down I feel entombed.

I like the feel of the wind in my face, with the full realization that I’m giving up some safety to do so, but I still wear a full face helmet.

[quote=“MJB”]I do…Never could stand the things…I’ll wear sunglasses or goggles, with the visor down I feel entombed.

I like the feel of the wind in my face, with the full realization that I’m giving up some safety to do so, but I still wear a full face helmet.[/quote]

did you feel that way half way down to the road today?
:slight_smile:

Now you know why their eyes are smaller than ours…ohhh…bad.

I always wear eye protection of some kind. Even at night if I’m wearing a half-helmet and I have my contacts in…I’ll still put on a pair of clear or yellow tinted wrap around sports glasses.

In some states in America it’s legal to ride without a helmet…but illegal to ride without eye protection. Since eye protection makes you a safer rider every second of the ride. And a helmet only increases saftey when you crash…except for full helmets which offer both of course.

[url=Motorcycle Helmets (Arai, Shoei) is the thread for you[/url]. :sunglasses: :happybiker:

Before we can give you some more insight we need to know a few things.
What’s your price range?
Do you want a full-face or half-face?
And where are you located?

Ok, if you are serious about your head, this is how it goes…

The following companies, Arai, Shoei, AGV, Suomy, Dianese, HJC, Shark can all be found in Taiwan. Arai, Shoei and AGV ar more common though.

These companies offer a good range of products at different prices. The lower priced helmets from these companies are still much more expensive than high priced Taiwan made skull caps with doodles on them.

• Top of the line helmets from Arai, Shoei, AGV, Suomy, Dianese and Shark will run you from 14,500$NT to 17,000$NT. (these are the full race spec models with or without racer replica paints)

• Midrange helmets from the above companies run from 7,000$NT to 12,000$NT. There are many different model styles to chose from in this category since it’s from this range that most lids are sold. You can get full face or open face lids, different shell types and shapes…and of course color styles and paints.

-Low range. Arai and Shoei don’t make any low range helmets. HJC and AGV do however. These will range from 4,000$NT to 8,000$NT depending which model you chose. HJC is made in China(sells lots in the US and Europe) and a full face lid from them is about 4,000$NT. from AGV, you can get a Basic helmet with Rossi replica paint for 8,000$NT.

So there you have it. The low range HJC helmet is a good buy for any city slicker on a scooter. Their helmets sell well all around the world as low cost alternatives to the high end stuff. They are crash test approved and pass most countries safety regulations.

If you have the cash, treat your self to any helmet in the mid-range and you’ll have that extra re-assurance of having a top-choice lid on your head.

And if you are a really keen person and want the latest of the latest and look hot…get one from the top range…

A few quick reminders.

• Remember that “real” helmets require maintenance and care. Dropping them once on the ground voids the helmet manufacturers liability to assure protection. The helments are designed with interconnection filaments and fibres that absorb crash impact and break accordingly in case of an accident. So dropping the helmet actually causes this to happen.

• Buy your lid from a reputable shop. There have been many cases of fakes going around. Most fakes have been found in the US so you can bet that there are some around here. Make sure that all the appropriate safety stickers and markings are indicated on the helmet both outside and inside the lid. Look for any loose fitted padding and dodgy finishes. Those are a sure sign of a fake!

Cheers and ride safe

That thread is great, but there were no mention of reputable shops in Taipei.

I’ve been looking around and too many of the shops seems to be shady for me and the prices too low (not that I want to pay alot).

So any recommendations for reputable helmet shops in Taipei would be much appreciated.

[quote=“chichow”]That thread is great, but there were no mention of reputable shops in Taipei.

I’ve been looking around and too many of the shops seems to be shady for me and the prices too low (not that I want to pay alot).

So any recommendations for reputable helmet shops in Taipei would be much appreciated.[/quote]

If you see a shop with a buch of “big bikes” out front, they will probably carry “real” biking equipment as well. These shops shouldn’t be too hard to spot.

Also check the helmet is not old when you get it. The date of manufacture is printed inside the helmet. I would inspect it visually for scratches and dings - how do you know it’s not been dropped? If it doesn’t come in the box with the helmet bag, instructions (in Japanese) and all the paperwork, Avoid it.

None of the shops is reputable. I bought my helmet from a bike club. But I think they only sell to members. FWIW, the club is on Fu Hsing between Heping and Xinhai.

Someone in the referred thread mentioned ventilation. Could someone please elaborate upon that cause I have serious heatissues…

YingFan

The ventilation system on the good helmets only really works at speed. They good Arais and Shoeis do have an inside sort of cap which keeps your head about 1/2 an inch from the top of the helmet so air can flow around your head. Better than nothing.

You’ll need to try the lids on, as the ones here are made for Asian heads, which tend to be rounder. They can be tight at the forehead and give you a headache if you have a more oval head.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“MJB”]I do…Never could stand the things…I’ll wear sunglasses or goggles, with the visor down I feel entombed.

I like the feel of the wind in my face, with the full realization that I’m giving up some safety to do so, but I still wear a full face helmet.[/quote]

did you feel that way half way down to the road today?
:slight_smile:[/quote]

Yep… :sunglasses:

But seriously, if you have overheating issues, you can remove the visor entirely…You must assume the added risk of eye injury in a crash though. But on a hot summer day, even a well designed ventilation system is only going to work at speed, and in Taipei traffic you’ll roast. You can always flip up the visor, but at any kind of speed the extra wind resistance isn’t too comfortable on the neck or head. I don’t mind my face getting wet on a warm summer’s day, and I don’t ride much in the winter…

Too much dust in taipei city traffic to not use visor. I guess some goggles is the way to go then if I can’t have the cake and eat it. Then atleast some wind in the face even at low speeds. Must say that that roof bumper visor looked nice, too nice for my wallet though.

YingFan

[quote=“Mordeth”][quote=“chichow”]That thread is great, but there were no mention of reputable shops in Taipei.

So any recommendations for reputable helmet shops in Taipei would be much appreciated.[/quote]

If you see a shop with a buch of “big bikes” out front, they will probably carry “real” biking equipment as well. These shops shouldn’t be too hard to spot.[/quote]

Mordeth: I luv u like a Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese, but can ya give me some general street addresses in Taipei :slight_smile: or else the helpless foreigner is riding around looking for big bike shops in Taipei.

Regarding : FWIW, the club is on Fu Hsing between Heping and Xinhai.

east or west side of the street? easily spotted?

Thanks for all advice guys, but I wasn’t really looking for advice on what makes a good helmet, I was looking for where I can buy one. :slight_smile: That thread has some good starters in it though, thanks Maoman.

So, does anyone have place(s) they’ve had good experience? I’m talking about good range, good prices and good staff.

Cheers

kamiwaza