Motorcycle touring

I’ve ridden on snow a few times back in Canada. It’s not much different than ridding on gravel. If you encounter ice or snow again instead of walking your bike try letting out a good amount of the air pressure from your tires increasing their traction alot, but lower your gas mileage and life of the tires ( for an hour or so it won’t hurt 'em much more than normal wear). I got stuck in Banff in a snow storm once, after letting out the air I was passing cars on the way down.

I’ve ridden in the snow twice and it scared the crap out of me…

The snow itself was no problem, and actually afforded better traction then I expected (aired down tires) but black ice is impossible. I think you’d be more likely to run into the latter in Taiwan.

Last winter was unusually cold, and the snow line was down to 1,000meters at one point. That is not a common occurance here, and you’d normally have to be up around 2,000+meters or so for this to be an issue.

If you are up there and the temperature is hovering around the freezing point with freezing rain/snow/ rain, then stay off the bike. I don’t care how good a rider you are…Black ice is unridable.

If you do plan a new years trip over Lishan and then on to Hualien, then be very careful in the shady areas during the morning hours where black ice is most likely to occur. Also, don’t air down too much or you’ll run into serious cornering issues on dry pavement. Expect thousands of idiotic drivers with no low traction driving experience, and heavy traffic.

And to rob123…I envy your trip, must have been fantastic…A little rushed mind you, but fantastic nonetheless. :notworthy:

Hey Guys

I consulted a map but was pretty confused and was just wondering whether anyone can help by suggesting an easy (and preferably quick) route from Taipei to Taoyuan? I’m hoping to go down there sometime this week and making a day of it!

Thanks

Tell me where you are starting from…And where you need to go in Taoyuan.

There are several ways to do this, depending on how much you want to suffer… :smiling_imp:

There is the quick and depressing, and long with better scenery. All will be somewhat lengthy to explain. The long routes will take 1 hour and 30 minutes, the short one can be done in under an hour but will take you through the armpit of Taipei County.

I’ll be departing from Hsin-Yi Road and would like to get to Da-Der Second street (not sure of the spelling)… perhaps a longer and more scenic route home would be nice, once the business is over :sunglasses:

Thanks for your help!

Last March I drove my Kymco Xing 150cc from Taipei to Kenting via the East coast. The trip back I drove up the west coast.

Day 1

Taipei to Shi To Shan (Lion’s head mountain) (Miaoli county)

The first day I drove to Lion’s Head Mountain on county road 3. There is a beautiful temple/monastary that you can stay at in the mountains there. Great hiking trails in and around. Cheap accomodations as well.

Day 2

Shi To Shan to Sun Moon Lake

Continued on the #3 through Taichung to visit a friend and then took road 136 to the #14 to Puli. While there I visited a really tacky, huge, expensive Buddhist temple/monastary/training centre. While there I spoke with a few monks who seem to be on a mission to learn English. They even asked me if I wanted to work there. I think I would either reach enlightenment or go crazy living way the hell out there.

I drove to Sun Moon lake that evening where I stayed the night. I made a huge mistake of trying to go and find the campsite in the middle of the night. I didn’t realize the lake is so huge. It took me about an hour to drive around the whole thing only to find that I went the wrong way at the start and that it was closed :fume:

Day 3

Sun Moon Lake to Chiayi

Took #21 through U-Shan National park and Ali-Shan. This was some of the most beautiful mountain scenery that I have ever seen. There is a few really nice places to view all the U-Shan peaks. I found one place that had a helpful map (in English) that gave the altitudes and told which peaks were which at a stop beside the road. There was a bit of snow at the side of the road at some points. Ther temperature was around 5-7 C I think. Some cold driving. But I was prepared.

(BEWARE!!! I was driving with tinted googles on when I entered a tunnel with no lights and I didn’t have my headlight on. Nearly crashed. Scary as hell!!! Pitch Black)

When I got to Ali-Shan the weather was pretty miserable out so I kept on through to Chiayi where I stayed the night. Met a friend there and went for some much needed beers at the Calgary pub.

(That was a long day)

Day 4

Chiayi to Kenting

Took #1 (Not the freeway) all the way down to Fengang which is south of Kaohsiung then turns into #26 all the way into Kenting. When I got to Kenting I headed out to Bai Sha Wan (White Sand Beach) and pitched a tent and thanked the Buddha that I didn’t have to drive for the next few days.

Hung out there for a couple of days. Not much to do while alone in Kenting when it’s cool out. But it was nice to sleep out under the stars on the beach.

Day 8

Kenting to Taitung

Took # 26 North (It ends north of Jia Le Shui so take #200(a) to the # 200 and that takes you back to where the #26 starts again) The #200 was a nice drive. Very rural. Not a lot of people in that area really. Stayed in Taitung for a few days. (Gringo’s hostel) (Nice cheap friendly place) While in Taitung I went to see the airforce base. If you go across the street and climb the hill you can see all of the base. I was lucky enough to be there when they were flying test patterns. The F-16’s (I think) came in for a landing just a few metres from my head at where I was sitting. It was awesome.

Day 11?

Taitung to U-Li

Took the #9 though the valley to U-Li. I didn’t take the ocean road because I had been on it during a previous motorcycle trip and wanted to see the valley. The #9 was nice. Straight drive. Fast as hell. No traffic. And the scenery was beautiful. Stayed in U-Li for the night.

Day 12

U-Li to Taipei

In hindsight I think that I must be insane to have done this much distance in a day. I don’t reccommend it. But the stretch north of Hualien has the most beautiful oceanside panorama in Taiwan. The road is perched along the side of a cliff and you have stunning views of the ocean below. If I had more time I would have gon through Tai Lu Ge (Taroko) on the way back. I went through there on a previous trip as well though.

I drove the #9 (Death/Ghost) road from Iilan to Taipei at night. It was hell on Earth. That was a dangerous and stupid thing to do after having driven for 7 or 8 hours that day. But I wanted to get back home.

It was a great trip. I love motorcycle touring in Taiwan. It is definatly one of of the things that keeps me here. I’d love to do another trip at some point. Any suggestions??

First off you have your west and east backwards. You went Taipei to Kenting down the west coast and returned using the east coast.

Personally, I’ve done Taipei to Kenting 6 times. I’ve been here about 8 years though. The first two times I stayed inside the mountains all the way there…pretty much carved my way down the dead center of the island…took about 4-6 days to get there. The other 4 times I’ve taken either the east or west coast and either way I can do it in a day, one way. I’ve gone there just for the weekend leave on Friday morning, get there Friday afternoon/early evening…head back on Sunday morning. That was a bit much. A good friend of mine is in a riding club…they all ride Cygnuses…They did TAIPEI → KENTING, KENTING ->TAIPEI …IN ONE DAY!!! I don’t think I could do that…that’s pretty cool bragging rights though. But I ride to Kenting about once a year…I think next time I’ll do the west coast up and down…it’s a nicer road.

Oooops

Yeah. Down the West coast, up the East.

It’s the second trip to Kenting for me. Last time I went down #7 through Hsui Shan (Snow Mountain) and on through the He Huan Shan area and Li Shan. There was snow on the road for a bit. I crashed on the ice. Great trip though.

Taipei-Kenting Kenting-Taipei in 1 Day!!! Masochism I say.

I’m in the market for a new bike. Low Ride for sure. Any suggestions? If i get a 250 cc Kymco what will the registration/ insurance be?

What kind of bike do you ride Mordeth?

[quote=“Lo Bo To”]Oooops

Yeah. Down the West coast, up the East.

It’s the second trip to Kending for me. Last time I went down #7 through Hsui Shan (Snow Mountain) and on through the He Huan Shan area and Li Shan. There was snow on the road for a bit. I crashed on the ice. Great trip though.

Taipei-Kending Kending-Taipei in 1 Day!!! Masochism I say.

I’m in the market for a new bike. Low Ride for sure. Any suggestions? If I get a 250 cc Kymco what will the registration/ insurance be?[/quote]

I’ve done the Kenting trip on an RZR twice, a sports bike once, and three times with my dog on a scooter…I have a Cygnus scooter now. Cygnus scooter engines have a 5 year warranty. You can hold the throttle full open from Kending to Taipei and the engine won’t complain.

I also own one of these:

But I’m trying to sell it…as I’m a broke ass sorry excuse of a man.

The registration for a 250cc wouldn’t be much different from a 150cc since 90cc-250cc is still the same class with regards to licenses.

Now THAT is hardcore! :astonished:

Now THAT is hardcore! :astonished:[/quote]

If I stop for more than ten minutes she’ll start to whine. As long as we are moving she is content. So she likes stopping about as much as I do. That’s another reason why I’m selling my big bike…I always feel guilty when riding somewhere nice and not bringing her along.

Looking to do a trip from Taoyuan across to the east coast (via the northern cross island highway, also known as No. 7) over the long weekend of 10/10. I need advice from someone who

just noticed sleepoverbandit has his own thread now…I’ll move my response there.

10/10 long weekend … guess every Taiwanese that can move will be on the move … places to sleep will be difficult to get by and prices will be jacked up … :s

img79.imageshack.us/my.php?image=c8b75fg.jpg

This place might be the Wuling farm area, they have a trail you can walk to a waterfall, a hotel and probably some new facilities to stay.

202.39.225.136/auser/d/2002eco-e/920131-4.htm
traveling.network.com.tw/taiwan/point/8.html
twcam.www.gov.tw/webcam/english/ … 9&who=view
wuling-farm.com.tw/english/index.php

The Fuxing-Yilan route, It’s quite a demanding route as you have 88 Km of curves and narrow road, and as far as I know a lot of construction going on from Fuxing to Baleng.

Ai yo!

Yeah, everybody will be out and about I guess. Really looking for some peace and quiet so thinking of postponing the trip. What do you guys think?

If I were you I would take off an extra day or 2 and keep going south along the #7 You will pass by Snow mountain which is Taiwans 2nd highest peak. When you get to Li Shan (Stunning!!) head east and drive through Taroko (I peed my pants when I saw it the first time). Then head back up to Taipei via the East coast highway (That stretch of road is incredible. On the side of a cliff for quite a ways. Great panorama.

The #7 south of Chilan is gorgeous. I did it during Chinese New Year a while back. It was cold as hell. Will probably be ok in October though. But bring something warm just incase. There are some great coniferous forests in that neck of the woods.

It will take you quite some time. I’d guess a day from Taipei to LiShan. But that will be a long day of steep roads and constant hairpin turns with sheer drops over the side of the road. Not for the faint at heart but gorgeous.

Your bike will be just fine if it’s reasonably new and/or well maintained.

I did it on a Kymco Xing 150cc (It’s like a Harley style lowrider). No problems. With a passenger on the back.

I really can’t stress enough that going North through Ilan is a mistake as far as what you will miss. South past Chilan. You won’t regret it. PM me for more info if you’d like.

:astonished: Carnivorous forests on the number 7 ?!? That sounds horrible…remind me to never go… :noway:

Isn’t it time we go out on a nice tour again? Weather is not going to be better…
I discussed with Ratlung a day-trip over Yangmin Shan, North Coast and maybe more. He’ll be back by late July but is anyone else interested? Lemme know. Anyone got a decent digital map of northern TW? Would be appreciated to map out the tour.

Have a nice day

For the first time in 2 years I don’t work Saturdays. I’m up for almost anything. And I just lost one of my dogs…so more free time for me!