Motorsport: Rally in Yunlin 12/13th January

I went to see the Venue today and met the F.I.A. guys and saw the roads. There will be a press day with Mayor ( TV etc) on Wednesday. It seems all these things are organised at the last minute due to Local government changing their minds sometimes !
There will now be 150 cars (confirmed) and a real old mix of Rally cars,Nissan Skyline GTR (4), Porsche GT3 Cups,and various supercars and my lonely Caterham :frowning:
The roads have kerbing which will reduce the sliding around a bit and I suspect there will be many small accidents :unamused:
AFAIK it’s free to watch…not sure about the Drift show/Show girl bit being free. Sounds like it should be an entertaining weekend if you are a petrolhead. Not much else around Yunlin? We went on the No.3 Tollroad down to junction 40 exit and will be easy to find with so much activity.

Thanks for the updates, do you know where the drifting show will be?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

[quote=“monokuro”]Thanks for the updates, do you know where the drifting show will be?

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]
Yes it is just by the Start line. the link does show 2 maps and i think the start is point B. You mean you only want to watch the scantily dressed girls :slight_smile:

Hehe, well…

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Should be good fun. If you have a car it may be possible,although it is under the Authority of the F.I.A . So should be a properly arranged affair and there are some pretty fast Imprezas out here with good drivers.120+ cars expected so should be fair Media cover. Unfortunately they have decided to put me at car 1 ,I think…no pressure then :astonished:[/quote]

Haha, unfortunately I don’t have my own car in Taiwan and it’s been years since I last raced and wish I could get back into the sport.
What are the car/safety requirements and how are the cars classed?[/quote]
Safety requirements?..one class for safe cars and one class for dangerous cars :bravo: this is Taiwan. :slight_smile: I wish i could use this car:

[/quote]

haha what I meant is do they actually have required safety equipment such as driving suit/hans/cage/fire suppression/etc or are we talking about just street-like cars zipping around?

I’ve never participated or spectated any motorsports events in Taiwan before so I don’t know, but from the Youtube videos of race events at Longtan, it looks like a total gongshow.

Should be good fun. If you have a car it may be possible,although it is under the Authority of the F.I.A . So should be a properly arranged affair and there are some pretty fast Imprezas out here with good drivers.120+ cars expected so should be fair Media cover. Unfortunately they have decided to put me at car 1 ,I think…no pressure then :astonished:[/quote]

Haha, unfortunately I don’t have my own car in Taiwan and it’s been years since I last raced and wish I could get back into the sport.
What are the car/safety requirements and how are the cars classed?[/quote]
Safety requirements?..one class for safe cars and one class for dangerous cars :bravo: this is Taiwan. :slight_smile: I wish i could use this car:

[/quote]

haha what I meant is do they actually have required safety equipment such as driving suit/hans/cage/fire suppression/etc or are we talking about just street-like cars zipping around?

I’ve never participated or spectated any motorsports events in Taiwan before so I don’t know, but from the Youtube videos of race events at Longtan, it looks like a total gongshow.[/quote]

Difficult to know exactly myself ,what to expect to be honest ! There are rules,e.g. Racesuits/helmets etc, and timed stages. There will certainly be a variety of cars to see.The roads have kerbs so it’s a bit hard to go too sideways but They will try I am sure.Worth going for the sounds I think. :whistle: The only downside is I think there will be many Saxos etc. Charles Ng ex F3 driver is also competing along with the best in Taiwan so there will be good and bad.Longtan is good fun but just a small Kart track really

I don’t think I’ll have the time to make it out to spectate this event but please let me know for the following events! :sunglasses:

I don’t think I’ll have the time to make it out to spectate this event but please let me know for the following events! :sunglasses:[/quote]
Sorry about that. Did a press/TV thingy today with Mayor etc. Some serious machinery like dodge vipers,ferraris etc !!
http://f1.u-car.com.tw/f1-newsdetail.asp?newsid=2032 link but only Chinese.

[quote=“monokuro”]Hehe, well…

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2[/quote]
Now comes all the boring car preparation by the Mechanics…I have to keep my eye on them or they may fall out (always arguing those 2 ) :astonished:

In Yunlin now :slight_smile: Was supposed to arrive in the morning, but we woke up late after only making it as far as Taichung yesterday!

Went for a walk around the town and saw all the cars parked up at various hotels - a nice variety here! Looking forward to tomorrow… hopefully can make it there around 11, I doubt I’ll be up any earlier than that!

I don’t think I’ll have the time to make it out to spectate this event but please let me know for the following events! :sunglasses:[/quote]
Sorry about that. Did a press/TV thingy today with Mayor etc. Some serious machinery like dodge vipers,ferraris etc !!
http://f1.u-car.com.tw/f1-newsdetail.asp?newsid=2032 link but only Chinese.[/quote]

You know when you see group pictures (among other meaningless press images) with everyone doing a ‘thumbs-up’ :thumbsup: that the racing scene in Taiwan is doomed before it has even started. Around here, the thumb-up has been so overused that it has somehow become the statement of greatness for all things shit. I hate to be negative, but all of this PenBay race track and the recent hoopla that place has been getting oozes of fakeness only Taiwan can produce. It’s a better track than TIS, but the racing scene in Taiwan is no better today than a few years back with only TIS. Instead of building up a good racing scene with the aim of attracting public ineterst, the scene has gone totally exclusive for the wealthy who can afford whatever insane amount of money they charge for a simple track day (which ineivatbly turns into a race every time). Maybe I’m the only one who sees/feels this, but I haven’t heard or seen anything to the contrary. A little OT for the rally though. Shiadoa, I’m not poking fun at you. I didn’t see you doing a thumbs-up in any pic. :wink:

[quote=“Captain Stag”]
You know when you see group pictures (among other meaningless press images) with everyone doing a ‘thumbs-up’ :thumbsup: that the racing scene in Taiwan is doomed before it has even started. Around here, the thumb-up has been so overused that it has somehow become the statement of greatness for all things shit. I hate to be negative, but all of this PenBay race track and the recent hoopla that place has been getting oozes of fakeness only Taiwan can produce. It’s a better track than TIS, but the racing scene in Taiwan is no better today than a few years back with only TIS. Instead of building up a good racing scene with the aim of attracting public ineterst, the scene has gone totally exclusive for the wealthy who can afford whatever insane amount of money they charge for a simple track day (which ineivatbly turns into a race every time). Maybe I’m the only one who sees/feels this, but I haven’t heard or seen anything to the contrary. A little OT for the rally though. Shiadoa, I’m not poking fun at you. I didn’t see you doing a thumbs-up in any pic. :wink:[/quote]

Stag, I couldn’t agree more. I took the year off last year of racing. And one of them was because of all the fakeness. I have been going out to TIS for 5 years now and it is even worse than it was. I remember 5 years ago the stands were full with people, and now our motorcycle races have maybe 70 people that come to watch…if that! All the “professional” racers from back in the day have all left because they feel it too. Every single motorcycle class are down on riders too. The management is ruining everything. I was so excited for the New PenBay track too, but that is a joke of a track as well. What a joke!! I’m not even allowed to ride it because I ride a 2-stroke, and even if I get my hands on another bike the fees for the track are astronomical. That track is also so unsafe!! What were they thinking? I know, they weren’t because they don’t think, they just act and then try and think later about the mistakes they made.

Anyway, I took a year off. I needed a break and I am hoping to ride again this year starting in March at TIS. Lets see what how much the track has deteriorated in the last year. It really is sad, especially coming from the racing scene in the States. Anyway, sorry to be off topic too. I would have liked to have checked out this even in Yulin, but I honestly couldn’t have been bothered. It just would have been a million thumbs up pictures with guys that don’t know anything about driving and racing. By the way, I really love TW. But the racing scene here for cars and motorcycles is pathetic. The scooter racing scene is actually pretty good and really well organised, but they only race on go-cart tracks around the island. It is also extremely competitive.

I.[/quote]

You know when you see group pictures (among other meaningless press images) with everyone doing a ‘thumbs-up’ :thumbsup: that the racing scene in Taiwan is doomed before it has even started. Around here, the thumb-up has been so overused that it has somehow become the statement of greatness for all things shit. I hate to be negative, but all of this PenBay race track and the recent hoopla that place has been getting oozes of fakeness only Taiwan can produce. It’s a better track than TIS, but the racing scene in Taiwan is no better today than a few years back with only TIS. Instead of building up a good racing scene with the aim of attracting public ineterst, the scene has gone totally exclusive for the wealthy who can afford whatever insane amount of money they charge for a simple track day (which ineivatbly turns into a race every time). Maybe I’m the only one who sees/feels this, but I haven’t heard or seen anything to the contrary. A little OT for the rally though. Shiadoa, I’m not poking fun at you. I didn’t see you doing a thumbs-up in any pic. :wink:[/quote][/quote]

It is hard to dampen enthusiasm for the “thumbs up” pics by refusing :no-no: Just a Taiwanese thing,which is a bit silly but seems to be the norm here. There is a lot wrong with Motorsport here and I am going to try to help in any way I can to develop it. Problem is organisers and volunteers are needed to put on any event like this and they need all the help from Government to be able to put an Event on. Hence the payback ,posing for thumbs up pics :bow: .I can complain about many aspects but it will not help to change it ,so I will try to “gently” offer help and train etc, so we may have more events,attended by more spectators.(I would say this weekend there were 1000’s watching/competing with 180 entries ! Whether or not, WE like the “style”, is not relevant,I feel…just what is possible and what is popular and viable in Taiwan.

I think you would have been entertained by some of the cars and drivers …like all rallies there are fast guys and slow beginners…a good thing.so the event was not “doomed”,in fact was probably one of the best attended motorsport event for some time.Most competitors were not “wealthy”,just a few in their supercars.The competition at the front was intense .You probably did not go because you presumed it have been awful …understandable…only a few parts were :popcorn:

Woohoo asked to drive GT3 around after last rallycar had gone…just nursed it round as i had to drive it home afterwards…good fun though :popcorn:

sorry coding from facebook blocked videos from TRCC page ? strange.
Rally Entry was 180 cars in the end. no idea where i finished yet, except they re-seeded after stage one,and i was then second overall. I couldn’t win in the wet conditions against 4 wheel drive fast stuff,Did try hard (when i was shown the right direction ,sometimes, by co-driver) :cry: :fume: Seems we need to work on a Results service and navigation school in Taiwan :whistle: It was nice to see some Forumosans there,thanks ,appreciate it…hope it was not too wet/cold for you.

I was going to ask how you did…all I saw of you was a good launch in the rain.

Lost 90 seconds going the wrong way on stage 2…errr…comms error with co-driver :cry: but 2nd until then (i think !!) good fun outing and good to nurse the GT3 around also :slight_smile:

Got one of these coming to Taiwan in a few months for next rally here :discodance:

[quote=“shiadoa”]Got one of these coming to Taiwan in a few months for next rally here :discodance:

[/quote]

Wow that thing looks awesome!
I wish I could participate in motorsports again, but currently don’t have the time nor funds to do so. :frowning:

Would you happen to have a rule book or a link to one I can download for future reference? :sunglasses:

MLR …maybe you can be a co-driver and point me in the right direction sometimes :ponder:
Rulebook…in Taiwan… :roflmao: There are rules for safety,but regarding cars ANYTHING goes. I will see if i can get something for you.

[quote=“shiadoa”]MLR …maybe you can be a co-driver and point me in the right direction sometimes :ponder:
Rulebook…in Taiwan… :roflmao: There are rules for safety,but regarding cars ANYTHING goes. I will see if i can get something for you.[/quote]

haha, that’s a possibility, but I still don’t have a driving suit or helmet.

If you could find me a rule book, that’d be great, thanks! :bow: