Mountain biking the Tonghou trail

I think a long day but doable.

Thanks both. I don’t have many outs once I get over to Wulai. Don’t have time to do a 2nd night. Sure I could ride into Taipei, but then I need to bag the MTB for the train back. Or I see how the climb goes, and just reverse it back to Jiaoxi if things don’t feel good. Though I don’t fancy 2 hike-a-bikes in a day.

I think you would find the climb back over really tough. It would probably be easier just to ride into Taipei on the bike paths to Wanhua, exiting at Huacui Bridge/Wanhua (Banga) Boulevard for easy access to the Wanhua Station. You could ship your bike back from there or bag it in big black plastic bags and take it with you on a local train. It’s an easy 35km or so from Tonghou.

I think you would find the climb back over really tough. It would probably be easier just to ride into Taipei on the bike paths to Wanhua, exiting at Huacui Bridge/Wanhua (Banga) Boulevard for easy access to the Wanhua Station. You could ship your bike back from there or bag it in big black plastic bags and take it with you on a local train. It’s an easy 35km or so from Tonghou.

Going to rain-check it anyway, so another occasion. Will have a think about logistics in the meantime.

well,that’s a really long journey-over 120 k in all.I admire you.And I also like to ride bicycles crossing the mountain.
Wow,the Tonghou has a nice landscape.The trees are high and verdant.I think the air must be very fresh and chean there.I want to go to Tonghou if I travel to your town.

Hi guys,

would you say it is possible to hike (no bike) the Tonghu trail from Jiaoxi to Wulai in one day?

A very fit hiker could do it. It’s about 30 km. from the bottom of the hill on the Yilan side to the Wulai. The last 20km are just walking down a paved road and you couid probably hitch a ride. It’d be a long day though and a death march for casual weekend hikers.

I can do 20 to 25 km without problems, so it should be ok.

One more question, though. I did try once to reach the trailhead from Wulai, but I was stopped some few km after the police station by another (mildly drunk) policeman who apparently spends his days in a tiny hut just after this bridge

maps.google.com/maps?q=%E5%B0%8F … 2,315,0,0

Is this a new addition? Do you guys know whether an extra permit is needed? ~~~

By car I’ve been stopped there too, by bike can continue without problems

Last time I went there on my scooter, parked the scooter and asked to go on on foot. The guy stopped me and told me something like “there is nothing ahead” in mangled Mandarin. O_o

Strange…

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2