Movie: Cape No.7

Anyone else seen it? It’s a Taiwanese movie about a bunch of locals who want to put together a band to open for a Japanese pop star that is coming over for a beach party in the south.

Saw this last night and laughed my ass off; it’s Taike in all the most hilarious ways. :thumbsup:

1 Like

[quote=“citizen k”]Anyone else seen it? It’s a Taiwanese movie about a bunch of locals who want to put together a band to open for a Japanese pop star that is coming over for a beach party in the south.

Saw this last night and laughed my ass off; it’s Taike in all the most hilarious ways. :thumbsup:[/quote]
It’s won a few awards apparently and is this year’s Taiwanese entry for the Oscars in the foreign-language category. Its a stepping stone for the director – what he really wants to do is make a feature-length film based around the Wushe incident.

I saw it and was quite disappointed. The movie was filled with too many cliches and unconvincing acting. It’s performing pretty well at the box office compared to most other Taiwanese films though and seems to have hit the right note with Taiwanese audiences.

The film about the Wushe Incident mentioned by Sandman above certainly looks interesting. Here is a link to the trailer. I understand they just produced the trailer, but haven’t shot the film yet.

It’s not a trailer, its a low-budget short that he made to try and generate some interest. He hasn’t managed so far, but maybe this movie will spur interest in his work among the people with hard cash. I hope so, as its an interesting little story.

Wow, that one about the abos looks fantastic!

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Wow, that one about the abos looks fantastic!

HG[/quote]
Indeed. Cut your ambivalent bowels.

Yep, it would be nice to see the Taiwan Maoris story made into a film.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t really enjoy the trailer to the fullest because I was constantly expecting “Satellite TV” (that Australian wanker who lives with a cannibal tribe up in the mountains) to jump out of the bushes and start telling the natives about his Taiwan ID.

:laughing: :bravo:

HG

HG wrote: [quote]A.J. wrote: [quote]Unfortunately, I couldn’t really enjoy the trailer to the fullest because I was constantly expecting “Satellite TV” (that Australian wanker who lives with a cannibal tribe up in the mountains) to jump out of the bushes and start telling the natives about his Taiwan ID.[/quote]
:laughing: :bravo: [/quote]

It’s no joke mate. You’re not safe from a “Taiwan ID” story no matter where you are in the mountains. You could be having a picnic in some secluded forest clearing when suddenly there’s a rustle of foilage, and out staggers a bushy haired Australian in shorts, beer in one hand and Taiwan ID in the other. “G’day you bastards, bloody bonza day for a bloody barbie. Reminds me of a time when some Taiwanese bitch said I should bugger off back to Oz…blah, blah, bloody Taiwan ID.”

In fact, such is his reputation that the local tribes call him “unga bunga marsupi” which translates to something like, “White Man with Big Shiny Bowls who like Whip Out Taiwan ID and Talk for Three Moons.”

Yeah I know. he’s even whipped it out on my balcony here in HK. I had to remind him several times to put it away as it was scaring the missus and kiddie - “It’s alright, he’s not an undercover cop, he’s a Taiwan citizen.” “Ka?”

HG

Today’s papers are plastered all over with the rear view image of the novice director in his birthday suit. Seems he had sworn he would jump into the sea if his movie earned more than 100 million NTs… :moon: :shocker: :howyoudoin:

It’s the lead actor I think. Fan-somebody.

I saw it. The core of the movie is a very affectionate look at small town life in Taiwan. He wisely sugar coats it with plenty of romance, crappy pop music, and a Japanese element. Taiwanese film did not need another art house movie, and he’s made a film that people like and has earned him enough money and publicity to make his Wushe film. I’d encourage all forumosans to go see it. I think if your expectations are not too high you will enjoy it and also be supporting a good cause. Some great Taiwanese dialog. Go see it!

Oh for sure! I’m desperate to see it, in fact. I’ll watch it back-to-back with Still Crazy for added oomph.
But I REALLY can’t wait to see Sadeeq Bale. That one looks like it’ll be a cracker.

[quote=“almas john”]Yep, it would be nice to see the Taiwan Maoris story made into a film.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t really enjoy the trailer to the fullest because I was constantly expecting “Satellite TV” (that Australian wanker who lives with a cannibal tribe up in the mountains) to jump out of the bushes and start telling the natives about his Taiwan ID.[/quote]

Nominated for Classic post :laughing:

Currently the movie is 8.6 on imdb:

imdb.com/title/tt1267160/

A funny, cheerful little movie, probably best viewed in the summer :sunglasses: Was at Ximending yesterday and the lines were still very long, and some showing times were sold out. Congrats to director Wei who actually had to go NTD 30 million into debt to make this movie, wow that took some guts.

Oh did I mention the lead actress is also very easy on the eyes?

chieworld.pixnet.net/blog/1

tw.youtube.com/watch?v=AcT8aCPICT8

Does Cape 7 have English subtitles???

Or will I need someone to whisper in my ear???

chinese and english subs

I saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I spent the first half hour wanting to slap the Japanese woman, and there are too many threads; some of them aren’t developed fully enough, and some even left untied at the end, but overall the tone was confident and the dialog fresh (though I don’t understand Japanese so I have no idea whether the subtitles were accurate or not). The story was predictable but well-told, I thought. The production has a bit of class usually absent from this kind of film. You could say it’s sugar-coated; the “town representatives” are for the most part local thugs IRL and not truly concerned with the welfare of anyone but themselves, but then again, this isn’t meant to be a documentary; it would be like saying Woody Allen’s films don’t truly reflect the gritty reality of New York City.

In fact, I haven’t felt this way about a Taiwanese film for years, probably not since The Scarecrow in 1987. Very good job. Now, of course, we’ll see everyone and his dog trying to copy the film and its success, but if we’re lucky we’ll get a renaissance of some sort in the film industry here.

Cape No. 7 is certainly going gangbusters at the box office. It is currently the sixth highest grossing film of 2008!

Figures are available at taipeibo.com/2008.htm