Movie Slags

Speaking of classics:

The Duke as Genghis Kahn.

HG

Spartacus was a bit dull. Eyes Wide Shut was fantastic - Kubrik’s best.

I reckon both Lynch and Greenaway can be good sometimes and bad a lot of the time.

Nothing wrong with a 4 hour film if it’s good. The DVD version of Fellowship of the Ring is a prime example. I did see a 12 hour (Hungarian) film once. It was awful.

Brian

:shock:
Are you on acid? You must be on acid! Holy christ, you’re on acid!
Now, why don’t you tell us about your supernatural experience?

Speaking of the Duke

Oh and Duke-wise, think I’ll watch this one tonight:

Synopsis:
William Wellman’s BLOOD ALLEY begins with the inhabitants of a local Chinese village liberating political prisoner Captain Tom Wilder (John Wayne). The oppressed villagers are disillusioned by communism’s stranglehold and want the former merchant marine to sail their ship through the treacherous Formosa Straits–the infamous Blood Alley–to Hong Kong and freedom. The Duke complies and heads off down the Yangtze aboard an old steamer, with Cathy Granger (Lauren Bacall) along for the ride. The strong arm of the plot is taken from the novel by Aaron Sidney Fleischman. Widescreen CinemaScope adds to the effective shots of the panoramic scenery, and it is an absolute delight to watch Wayne and Bacall, so reminiscent of Bogie and Hepburn in THE AFRICAN QUEEN.

I absolutely loved Muriel’s Wedding…I have it on VHS, DVD, and VCD. I have most of the lines memorized and I always cry when I see her mom at the wedding when she walks by.

As for really crap movies…Moulin Rouge, but that could be because I have yet to stay awake for the entire duration…even when I rented it.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Eyes Wide Shut was fantastic - Kubrik’s best.

Brian[/quote]

It is obvious you have not seen any other Kubrick films. By the time he was making Eyes Wide Shut he had lost his greatness. There is no way Eyes is better then Paths of Glory, Dr. Strangelove, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Full Metal Jacket etc etc etc.

I agree you are on acid!!!

indelibleinc.com/kubrick/

Not saying that EYES WIDE SHUT is Kubrick’s best, but it’s not as bad as is often said.

And anyone who doesn’t like Lynch needs a lynching.

Maybe yes maybe no, but compared to his other work it is BAD.

But maybe not as bad as saying AI is good and is Kubrick’s work. Yes he did write about 2/3 of the story but the movie is NOT Kubrick and it is terrible.

Don’t blame Kubrick for Spartacus; he didn’t have much control over it.

As for Eyes Wide Shut, I think it was a sad end to a brilliant career.

Eyes Wide Shut=NIcole Kidman naked

Haven’t rented a movie I liked in awhile. Chicago was not good. I watched about a third of it.

I liked Phone Booth .

Armageddon - total piece of crap. Can’t believe someone got me to watch it in the first place. Natural Born Killers also gets a slam dunk into the crappola basket. (Wait, do I have to explain why the movies suck, too?)

With those two, you definitely don’t have to explain. Shite. 'Nuff said.

But if you don’t like Eyes Wide Shut, you do have to explain. What’s not to like. It’s brilliant.

Brian

With those two, you definitely don’t have to explain. Shite. 'Nuff said.

But if you don’t like Eyes Wide Shut, you do have to explain. What’s not to like. It’s brilliant.

Brian[/quote]

That’s good. How about The English Patient? Can I just say it’s crap or do I have to explain why it is one of the most undeserving movies to win an Academy Award for best picture? (Wait, those desert scenes were pretty, though, weren’t they?)

Can I just leave it up to some other experts, he he, on the web?

“While I disagree with a few of the selections [for worst movies of all time], I had a hearty guffaw at seeing The English Patient weigh in one spot below It’s Pat: The Movie. My wife dragged me to the theatre to see The English Patient, the longest freaking 3 hours of my life! She loved it.”
– Wally84, The Husker Connection

"As we had to keep our eyelids open with toothpicks, we can only remember that this wannabe epic was mind-numbingly boring. Maybe subtitled, too. Basically, a WWII pilot played by Ralph Fiennes gets shot down, burned to a crisp, and then meets a hottie nurse. But that

No need to explain that either. That must have been one of the most overrated movies ever. Utter utter utter shite.

Brian

Dang! What a funny business appreciating a movie is. I’ve been right up there with ya Bu Lai En, Alien and Hakkaonic and then kabam!

I loved “The English Patient”, thought the cinematography was top notch and the acting excellent. Ok that rent a coherent English accent chap that played the patient tends to the woodish, I grant you, But, oh jeesh guys.

My mind is mired in hystorical (no CF it’s not a typo - but after my day you’ll find one) crap movies at the moment.

I know I’m drinking deep from the well of shite, but what a stinker!

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Dang! What a funny business appreciating a movie is. I’ve been right up there with ya Bu Lai En, Alien and Hakkaonic and then kabam!

I loved “The English Patient”, thought the cinematography was top notch and the acting excellent. Ok that rent a coherent English accent chap that played the patient tends to the woodish, I grant you, But, oh jeesh guys.

My mind is mired in hystorical (no CF it’s not a typo - but after my day you’ll find one) crap movies at the moment.

I know I’m drinking deep from the well of shite, but what a stinker!

HG[/quote]

HG, you beat me to it! I was going to mention Red Dawn for its overly realistic portrayal of what it would be like for a bunch of U.S. teenagers to take on an invading force. I mean, talk about giving military secrets away. Please, I’d like another lump of fiction with my movie coffee.

More shite

Hakkasonic.

That’s twice I got in ahead of you now. I’m quite chuffed.

HG

[quote=“Alien”]More shite

[/quote]
I liked that one. But then, I often like shite films.

After I rented Dazed and Confused, I felt the need to apologize profusely to my family and friends who sat through it with me. So horrible was this highly rated film that I am considering skipping School of Rock, which sounds good in an empty-headed quasi-Disney kind of way, because it’s by the same director (who also did the much-revered Slacker, which I’ve never seen).