Movie Slags

What? Dazed and Confused is a brilliant movie. I’ve seen it about 3 times. We need more 70s and 80s on films.

Brian

Almost Famous

I had high hopes for that piece of crap.

Almost Famous is just about perfect in my eyes. Now that’s a good [set-in-the-] 1970s movie. What’s not to like about it?

I was in high school in the 1970s and am acquainted with a few people who worked on the movie, so I really wanted to like Dazed and Confused, but it was relentlessly unfunny and tedious.

It was way too light weight. I expected a movie about sex, drugs, and rock and roll. They did rock and roll all right. They made groupies seem like a kind of public service organization. It was too smarmy and sentimental and too long.

Hey, so was I…but in Canada…

Hey…so were the 1970’s…

I thought D&C to be a pretty accurate depiction of suburban high school life in Eastern Canada minus the football and hazing…I knew all those guys and was even a couple of them myself…the music ripped and the doobs were heinous…

I thought I’d better add to the list. Amongst the most shite and over-rated movies ever are:

Duel (1971) Overrated
Jaws (1975) Boring
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) Even duller
1941 (1979) No redeeming features
ET (1981) No comment
The Color Purple (1985) Crap watered-down version of the book
Jurassic Park (1993) Awful
Schindler’s List (1993) Massively overrated piece of crap
Jurassic Park : The Lost World (1997) Unwatchable
Saving Private Ryan (1998) Meaningless piece of drivel
AI (2001) Cloyingly sentimental excrutiating piece of rubbish

Brian

Bri,
Take it you don’t like Spielberg much! :wink:
(me neither!)

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I thought I’d better add to the list. Amongst the most shite and over-rated movies ever are:

Duel (1971) Overrated
Jaws (1975) Boring
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) Even duller
1941 (1979) No redeeming features
ET (1981) No comment
The Color Purple (1985) Crap watered-down version of the book
Jurassic Park (1993) Awful
Schindler’s List (1993) Massively overrated piece of crap
Jurassic Park : The Lost World (1997) Unwatchable
Saving Private Ryan (1998) Meaningless piece of drivel
AI (2001) Cloyingly sentimental excrutiating piece of rubbish

Brian[/quote]Ah, so you’re a “The Flintstones” fan

One movie that I often here slagged that I really liked is “Mars Attacks.” No accounting for taste, I guess.

Also, I think Oliver Stone’s movies are over-rated.

Any of Jackie Chan’s Hollywood movies. Pure sludge.

Noooo, Mars Attacks was funny! Great Tom Jones cameo!

Mars Attacks was brilliant.

I still get all hot and bothered whenever I think of that slinky would be presidential assassin sashaying through the Whitehouse.

Some brilliant piss takes in too. Think of GI Joe itching to get himself killed when the aliens start shooting. :laughing:

HG

Plus Michael J. Fox got fried to a crisp early on. Sarah Jessica Parker and Pierce Brosnan were great together. And then there was Martin Short with that android. Tomas!? Any comments? Ack, coffee number six is scrambling my electrodes. Tomas, I promise, that is the last rubber doll-related joke I make about you or there’s gaunxi coming your way.

This movie is so bad that I almost forgot it – Iron Eagle. It has a great song by Queen though.

hated:
denzel in the navy one
all the batman movies
moulin rogue
all jackie chan in hollywood {most recent is the worst) even worse than tuxedo
the italian job
solaris (clooney in space)
Mission impossible1, mission impossible 2
vanilla sky (has cruise ever made a good movie after"taps"?)
wild, wild west
meg ryan in the army
eddie murphy in space
just about anything recent with pacino
deniro as funny
basic (john travolta and samuel jackson)
devil’s ball (halle berry’s “ooh…i just want you to make me feel good” took home oscar)
pearl harbor

all time most hated: deniro’s cape fear

a good’un:
dirty rotten scoundrels (cain and steve martin)

He was great in Magnolia!

[quote]
a good’un:
dirty rotten scoundrels (cain and steve martin)[/quote]
I can tolerate Steve Martin in even the direst of films. He’s lurvly!

[quote=“Alien”][quote=“skeptic yank”]
vanilla sky (has cruise ever made a good movie after"taps"?)
[/quote]
He was great in Magnolia!
[/quote]

GREAT? I couldn’t walk for a week, honey! :sunglasses:

“Confessions of a Dangerous Mind”

Just saw it today. Boy, what a mistake!
Chuck Barris was a sleazy lowlife who made crap tv shows and claims he went around shooting people for the CIA! The movie about it was as bad as this sounds. Uninteresting, no tension, and no humor. Even the bit where Drew Barrymore laughs out loud at his CIA hired gun story was a lot funnier in the trailer than in the movie itself.
Too bad about George Clooney. Some of my favorite movies of the past few years have him in it, say Three Kings (showing on AXN right now), Out of Sight, Ocean’s 11.
The only good thing I have to say about Confessions … is that they showed the trailer for Tarantino’s Kill Bill ! Amazing colors, amazing action, amazing women!

[quote]“Confessions of a Dangerous Mind”
[/quote]

It was good. Very funny.

Brian

Dont know if this movie has been mentioned, but Angel Eyes starring Jennifer Lopez. I watched this movie on HBO last night, and what a freakin waste of my time. I thought the main guy character would be a lot cooler considering how creepy he was at the beginning of the movie. What a stupid movie.