Moving on ... Qingdao

It’s not final yet and it might never happen, depending on a few things … but I’m thinking of moving to Qingdao. I’m waiting for my new passport but as soon as it’s in I’ll go over there to do some checking and talking …

Any thoughts on Qingdao, experience … post it here, positive, negative …

First!

I drank 8 Qingdao big boys and passed out.

Their beer is like petrol.

Belgian beer is much better than the local brew.

And here all this time I’ve been hoping for word on a new restaurant within driving distance. :frowning:

But my best wishes should you decide to move on. :slight_smile:

superking wrote [quote]I drank 8 Qingdao big boys and passed out. [/quote]

A bad worker blames his tools. Sounds like you could benefit from a weekend course at the Almas John Booze Camp down in Jiayi.

Belgian Pie, Qingdao sounds very interesting. From what I’ve seen on the internet there still seems to be a fair bit left from the old German days.

Belgian beer is much better than the local brew.

And here all this time I’ve been hoping for word on a new restaurant within driving distance. :frowning:

But my best wishes should you decide to move on. :slight_smile:[/quote]

I know, but I feel as if Taipei is getting a little saturated with foreign owned restaurants, eateries and bars … and not to mention all the ‘fake’ foreign food places … it’s kind a hard coming up with something new, interesting and not going into competition with the people I know.

Nothing is final yet … just going on a scouting mission, talking to some Belgian people that are doing business in Qingdao for some years now … maybe I can get an office job or start running/managing a new Belgian themed place over there … it’s not going to be easy, like starting over in Taiwan 10 years ago …

A bad worker blames his tools. Sounds like you could benefit from a weekend course at the Almas John Booze Camp down in Jiayi.
Belgian Pie, Qingdao sounds very interesting. From what I’ve seen on the internet there still seems to be a fair bit left from the old German days.[/quote]

Thanks for the offer, but I fear indoctrination. :smiley:

I’ve not been, but know plenty of people who have and the consistent word is, “great place, lots of interesting things happening there.” Sounds like quite a good plan to me, Messr Pie. In fact, the Taiwan 10 years ago sounds like exactly the sort of metaphor.

But you know it’s bloody cold, right?

HG

Cold? … Sounds good for raclette or cheese fondue time … I guess if it’s going through I’ll be right in time by the end of the year … BTW, they have nice summers and sailing, beaches, babes … beer

Anyways, next year is the Olympics sailing regatta in Qingdao …

Somehow I thought you’d always be around. :frowning:

They also have some very, very serious ice sailing happening in nearby Harbin in the winter.

HG

… in memory :slight_smile:

I’ve been thinking about doing something in Taipei, talked to some people … hinted to others, nothing solid came out off it … I need to move anyway, living in Sanxia and working in gastronomy/hospitality in Taipei is not easy …

But, I’m not really moving … just going to ‘work’ there, my ‘home’ will still be Taiwan … every couple of months I’ll be back, at HH … BTW, my wife is already working in Shenzhen, so what am I doing here?

Tried to restart my photography but that’s just wishfull thinking, need to do something concrete …

How about a Belgian restaurant? :slight_smile:

You would open a restaurant there?

I’m talking to someone … it’s a possibility … not set in concrete

A floating restaurant? I like it.

A floating restaurant? I like it.[/quote]

Don’t think so …

Tsingtao beer is like watered-down Budweiser with snotters.

Lord Lucan wrote [quote]Tsingtao beer is like watered-down Budweiser with snotters.[/quote]

And if there was nothing else going, you would be happy to drink it.

I would caution people not to pay too much heed to the Lord’s caustic remarks about China. He’s making a bloody fortune in Shanghai and greedily wants to keep all the gold to himself.

And enjoying himself at the Shanghai O’Malley’s Irish Pub … carry on good man…

Of course it is, because it is owned by the same company.