Moving soon, advice on areas/costs/agents please

We will be moving to Taipei and know very little about areas in Taipei.
Is there any info available regarding the various areas, what the typical rents would be and also any advice on locating a suitable place to rent using an agent.
We will be getting a car and will need to travel regularly to the airport using it.

Any help much appreciated.

Try www.mtr.com.tw to get an idea. I have dealt with them before and I recommend them. However I also recommend to use more than one agent to get a better choice.
Rent in Taipei city is expensive, fully furnished (not to be taken literally) is of course more expensive than not furnished apartments.
Agent’s fee is a half months rent for the landlord and tenant. Usually the tenant needs to pay 10% tax if it’s a company contract (landlord has to pay that 10% to the government).

If you give more details on what you are looking for (location, furnished or not, size etc.) perhaps we can give more specific advise.

Most important is however to take your time - unless you are lucky or have a huge budget to blow it can take weeks if not months to find a good place. Then again I might just be too picky …

Hi Thanks for your reply.

Basically, we have no idea about locations, so any hints are appreciated. As mentioned, somewhere that is easy to commute to the intl airport would be ideal (or even out that way maybe?) Just wondering if it is better to live in the city & commute out, or the other way around (commute in after hours & w/ends)
It looks like the contract may be 6-12 months initially with an option of staying on, so we are considering fully furnished, and 2 bedrooms would be enough.

When you say expensive, can you give an indication of what expensive is?
How much would a newish fully furnished 2-3 br place in a complex with facilities be? Ballpark is OK.

Cheers.

We help foreiners find places here and e are foreigners so there is no language barrier. Where in Taipei.
The further away from Taipei centre the less expensive.
check out our site housingtaipei.tripod.com we have places and prices so it could give you a good idea.
mrt.com.tw is very good as well.
Good luck.
Mail me if you have any specific questions

[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/lotus-hill-la-dolce-vita-in-taiwan/995/1 thread[/url] may be of interest. Lotus Hill is close to Highway #1.

Depends on the location. I rekon 40k or 50k (2 or 3 bedroom respectively) and up for downtown Taipei.

The city is convenient (transportation, shopping, entertainment etc.) but it’s hard to find a really nice place and new places, in particular 2 bedroom apartments, are extremely hard to come by. Outside of the city it’s nicer and cheaper, but transportation could be more difficult (unless you have a car/scooter).

Rental contracts mostly run at 12 months or longer, so never tell the landlord or agent you only stay for 6 months, else they might not want to rent to you. You can pay a penalty (1 month rent) to get out early though.