Moving to Taidong

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]My wife, daughter, and I are moving to Taidong city in August. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. My wife is from there and most of her family are there. We go there often.

My wife is a public school teacher and got a transfer to a beautiful school just south of the city. I look after our daughter in the daytime, so I need to find some part time work in the evenings. Any help or advice would be appreciated.[/quote]

About the only thing available at that time on for a short stretch would be teaching, and it’s a fairly saturated market these days.
Unless the afternoon/night shift at 7/11 appeals…

Admittedly, I felt a bit of anxiety about it last week, but I’m a little more relaxed now.

I reckon I’ll take my fishing gear down to the ocean, sit on the beach and throw a line in, and wait for the job offers to come in.

The worst thing that could happen is a coconut falling on my head.

Otherwise, I’ll survive on coconuts and fish.

[quote=“Charlie Phillips”]My wife, daughter, and I are moving to Taidong city in August. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. My wife is from there and most of her family are there. We go there often.

My wife is a public school teacher and got a transfer to a beautiful school just south of the city. I look after our daughter in the daytime, so I need to find some part time work in the evenings. Any help or advice would be appreciated.[/quote]

Congrats. I’ve always liked the area. I’m guessing you’re looking for teaching work which I don’t know much about. Maybe you could try being a starving artist like a lot of others in Dulan, that is if you like partying, drinking, smoking dope, surfing at sunrise… It’s become a party area and you can bump into the few backpackers from around the world that somehow heard about the place and showed up in addition to all the local foreigners.

Charlie Phillips, after my stay there, I hereby declare the best line of business: renting electric vehicles with canopy. In this friggin heat, no one wants to pedal nor end up BBQd by the sun. But everyone wants to get around.

so, how did the move go after about 1.5 years?
Pros/cons?
Any hidden gems of places to visit or live?
How often you get out of Taitung to go elsewhere or off the island?

cheers-

Taitung, tune in, drop out.

A spanner got thrown in the works, and we are still in Taipei.

Heading to Taitung tomorrow for the mid-autumn holiday.

Then back to Taipei for the long, dreary winter.

2 Likes

I’m sure U have travel arrangement all worked out. Will be crowded like everywhere the next few days.

So I read through the dred and caught up. Something about Sanchong but looking at fishing in Taidong.

I don’t know if you wanted to work out or not but with family n right situation it could be quite nice.

I try to drop through the area as frequently as possible but not frequently enough. I’m planning to spend New Year there and watch the Amei concert.

Okay now you went and brought up dreary Taipei winters before we need to think about it.

1 Like

They say this mid-autumn holiday will be “the most congested in history” due to nobody going abroad.

I’m a Taitung son-in-law, so accommodation is no problem.

I hope we can just bbq at home and avoid the crowds and queues at restaurants and sightseeing spots.

1 Like