Moving to Taipei area for 1 yr so my 12 y/o & 10 y/o can attend public school

Hi all. This is my first post to this group. I am half Taiwanese, my dad was from Taichung. I do not have Taiwanese citizenship or passport, only USA. I plan to move to Taiwan for 1 year with my children so that they can attend public school in Taiwan. For the 2023-24 school year, my son will be 12 in the 7th grade and my daughter will be 10 in the 5th grade. They have both been in Mandarin immersion school in Cleveland since they were in kindergarten, so they are somewhat proficient in Mandarin. Is it possible to enroll them in public junior high school and elementary school? I have spent time reading through the different posts, but they are either for kindergarten entry and/or have Taiwanese citizenship. My plan is to find schools they can go to, that are very close to each other. Then find somewhere nearby to rent for housing. And then get a job teaching English not too far away. I will spend this year figuring it all out. Is this possible? Can anyone recommend schools? I want to be in/around Taipei. I am most familiar with the Taipei area, as I studied abroad at Zhen Da and NTNU. I also taught English at a school in Taipei for a year, when i was 22 yrs old ( am 38 now).

3 Likes