Moving to Taipei area for 1 yr so my 12 y/o & 10 y/o can attend public school

The great thing about Forumosa.
A person can come here for schooling information and may leave (hopefully) with citizenship.

:clap:

5 Likes

That’s right. While a lawyer makes it easier, it’s expensive, it’s best to call the government first.

2 Likes

I second what somebody wrote before me. This may be a super great experience for your kids or a nightmare year. Honestly, I kind of doubt whether your kids’ Chinese is good enough to get by easily at regular public school. If you had money you could put them in a private school or a school for foreign kids, but that defeats the purpose of them learning Mandarin.

I hope your kids are on board with this idea. That is the first step.

And your 12-year-old is right between elementary school and junior high school, which does not make things easier. He might need to change schools while he was here?

3 Likes

Thanks. They are very excited. They have visited before too. My son will be 12 and in 7th grade at the start of the 2023-24 school year, but then turns 13 in December. Are you saying he has to leave schools once he is 13?

No. He doesn’t mean that. The school started in the fall is the one that is ended in late-spring, barring a natural disaster like big earthquake.

1 Like

What is 7th grade? Is that 六年級 here ? Or is that 國中一年級 ?

Since kids move from elementary school to junior high around 12/13years, just hoping it does not coincide. Of course, like KHHville said, they always finish whatever class they start in before they go on to the next one.

2 Likes