Moving to Taiwan from USA with dog - Need Help Please

Hello All,

My name is Jason, and I am new to this site. I started reading this site because its useful for my move to Taiwan this coming January.

I have some questions that hopfully some of you can provide insight on.

I will be moving to Taipei Jan 2011, and I will be bringing my 5 year old Shiba Inu. I’ve had him since he was a puppy, so leaving him behind is definitly not an option.

Here are some of my questions. I would be greatful for any input, advice, or direction!

1. I feel that using a pet relocation agent is the best choice for me because I would like somone with experience to take care of importing my shiba to Taiwan. Does anybody know of any relibable and experienced pet agents who are based out of the USA? (better yet, Los Angeles). Money does matter, as I have recieved a quote for $4500.00 US (all inclusive from Petrelocation.com), which seems a bit pricy. Any pet agent Suggestions?

2. If you used a pet relocation agent from USA -> Taiwan, how much did you pay? and what was included in your price? (if you dont want to give away your deal, a ball park number would be helpful)

3. I am moving to Taipei and need to rent an apartment/condo that is dog friendly and close to a park. Does anybody know of any apartments that are dog friendly? or a real estate agent who is capable of finding a dog friendly apartment? After doing some research… Da’an district…around the Da’an park would be ideal. (I will be going to school in that district also) I am going to be living alone,rent is a bit flexible here.

Thanks in advance for helping with my move!

Regards,

Jason

A friend of mine spent over $2,000 to get her cat here, but I’m not sure if that was through an agent-hopefully someone else can help you there. It is going to cost you if you use an agent.

Finding a dog friendly apartment should not be that hard. Try Tsui Mama-I’ve never used them but I have tons of non-Chinese speaking friends who have.
tmm.org.tw

Da an park is nice, but it’s surrounded by big busy roads that you would have to cross-not a huge deal, but I find the area around Da an park to be really crowded and not easy to navigate safely with a dog. Honestly, I would wait until you get here to decide on where you want to live. And if you already have a job lined up, maybe living close to the workplace would be much better for your dog.

1 Like

Perhaps you’re already aware of this, but just in case. There is a definite procedure you must follow to import a dog to Taiwan from a “rabies-infected area” such as the US.

baphiq.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1 … 1994&mp=22

You need to start that quite early, I think there is a 6-month-in-advance minimum start point for the initial steps. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think you’d be able to bring your dog in January unless you’ve started the process.

Thanks for the info. I’ll be sure to look into tmm.org.tw.

I’ve been to Taipei a few times in the past, and I assumed Da’an Park was good because of its size. I know there are little “playground” like areas all over the city, but those are to small for my dog to get good exercise. Would you have any other suggestions for area’s or districts to live that are more dog friendly? I’m actually very open. I would rather somewhere more dog friendly, than convienent for myself.

Thanks for the help!

[quote=“suiyuan31”]A friend of mine spent over $2,000 to get her cat here, but I’m not sure if that was through an agent-hopefully someone else can help you there. It is going to cost you if you use an agent.

Finding a dog friendly apartment should not be that hard. Try Tsui Mama-I’ve never used them but I have tons of non-Chinese speaking friends who have.
tmm.org.tw

Da’an park is nice, but it’s surrounded by big busy roads that you would have to cross-not a huge deal, but I find the area around Da’an park to be really crowded and not easy to navigate safely with a dog. Honestly, I would wait until you get here to decide on where you want to live. And if you already have a job lined up, maybe living close to the workplace would be much better for your dog.[/quote]

Thanks for the warning. I am aware of the 180 day Pet Titer process + 21 day quarentine. I’ve started the process. However, I believe that I may leave before my dog can actually ship. Thats also part of the reason why I am considering a pet agent to take care of it while I’m already in Taiwan.

Thanks!

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]Perhaps you’re already aware of this, but just in case. There is a definite procedure you must follow to import a dog to Taiwan from a “rabies-infected area” such as the US.

baphiq.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1 … 1994&mp=22

You need to start that quite early, I think there is a 6-month-in-advance minimum start point for the initial steps. Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think you’d be able to bring your dog in January unless you’ve started the process.[/quote]

My thought process was more that it would be better for your dog if you lived close to your work so you would have time to take him out for lunch and generally have less time commuting so that he could be let out earlier. The reason I think this is more important is that there aren’t many “dog friendly” neighborhoods-actually, I can’t think of any area that I would call dog friendly in Taipei city. Da an’s open space is nice, but you will still need to have him on a leash-I noticed new signs in Taipei’s parks just last week that there is a new park ordinance. I have heard rumors of dog parks, but they seem to come and go so fast I don’t keep up. You could easily find yourself in a situation where you sign a one year lease just to have the dog park gone in 3 months.

The only big park in Taipei is Da an, so that area might suit you just fine. I just did a quick search of things available there right now and the prices will knock your socks off! It’s not a cheap area-the cheapest thing I saw was about 27,000. There is also 228 park, but I wouldn’t want to live down there-everything around it is so busy and it’s mostly offices. Even better might be a newer building/community that has its own courtyard area. Also consider living near some of the college campuses, which have open spaces.

Definitely contact Tsui Mama. They are your best bet if you want certain features-they can really help narrow your search.

If you can get closer to the riverside parks, there is a huge long strip of grassy fields and whatnot for a dog to run around on. If you need a fenced area though, you can try the doggy park, in the SongShan area. (If you’re driving, or riding a car, you would go to Lane 385 TaYou Rd. and turn in at the big gate into the riverside park. Then continue going left until you see a fenced off area in the distance by a stretch of baseball fields). There’s also a pet restaurant here called TNR. If you have the transportation, I think there’s also a place for dogs to go swimming in Xizhi.

If you don’t mind living in Taipei County, there’s a big park near Yongan Market Station. There are two fenced areas for dogs to play there. Are you going to Shida? If so, it’s about a 10-min MRT ride to Guting, where you could then walk to school or take a bus.

Also, there’s a riverside park by the Xindian MRT station that has fenced areas (but this is really far away from Da’an).

shameonujason,

How did your import go? Did you do it? My dog just arrived on Wednesday.

How did the move go? likely making the same move in the near future and very curious about your recommendations for finding an apt/bringing dog over

You need to get started 6 months before the move just to let you know. Taiwan requires you to get all the shots on record and wait for 6 months before they can come I believe.

Now we have a lot more dog parks and the riverside areas too. Apartments are a matter of luck.